Maxx owners..If you had to get a verizon phone

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I would get the Maxx. I also don't get the complaining about the screen I think its fine. To me the battery life is worth the extra money. The only think I don't love about this phone is the pictures. The camera works fine but the pictures always seem to come out blurry. But that is a minor complaint.

OP
L

latexyankee

Reaction score
OP here..broke down yesterday and bought the maxx. It was I wanted, I was just trying to justify the price. Battery is pretty effin awesome, been playing all day and damn, the speed comin from an X...wow. happy customer.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
In the past few months, I've had the Galaxy Nexus, the Rezound, and the MAXX. I sold the Galaxy Nexus and the Rezound, and I'll be sticking with the MAXX for quite awhile.

The Nexus is a great device, but it's just not a great phone. The reception issues are very real for many people (myself included - I through four different brand new ones, all with the same problems). It doesn't matter how amazing a device is, if I can't get a signal to make a phone call or get online, it's useless to me. I could set the Nexus directly beside a MAXX, Incredible 2, and an iPhone 4S, all of which had good signal, and the Nexus would be searching for service. Even in areas with tremendous signal, it would constantly lose signal, making it unusable. And of course there's the battery life, which really goes without saying. Great device, poor phone.

The Rezound is a really good device. I really liked it. If the MAXX didn't exist, I would have definitely held onto it for a bit. Great screen, good reception, and good performance overall. It's really the most under appreciated phone on Verizon right now. But the battery life, like all phones besides the MAXX, left much to be desired. And I'm not a big Sense fan. Far too intrusive for my taste. It's a solid choice though.

But the MAXX just does pretty much everything right. The radios are top notch. I've never had a problem with reception in the slightest. The OS is the most stable and smooth rendition of Android I've used. And yes, that includes ICS on the Nexus. And of course, there's the battery. Nothing else can even come close. A lot of people talk about the 3300 and 3800mAh batteries out there for the Nexus and the Rezound, but the fact of the matter is that those third party batteries never actually perform to that level. There's nothing out there that can realistically compete with the MAXX's battery life without looking like a comically mutated brick.

Sure the Nexus and the Rezound have a better screen. But the MAXX actually has a really solid screen (one that's more usable in direct sunlight than the Nexus or the Rezound) that is more than adequate. Others will knock the camera on the MAXX. Nexus users shouldn't because it's camera is really poor. The Rezound does have a better shooter. But again, the MAXX isn't bottom of the barrel or even middle of the pack. It has an above average camera that is more than adequate for most uses if you use it properly.

There certainly are specific things I liked more on the Nexus and on the Rezound, but on the whole, the MAXX is just better all the way around in my opinion. It's the most polished Android phone I've used. Normally, I switch out phones every couple of months. But this time around, I see myself holding onto the MAXX for quite awhile. I've owned a lot of smartphones over the past four years (well over twenty), and the MAXX is easily the best one I've had. So my suggestion is the MAXX, followed by the Rezound, and rounding things out the Galaxy Nexus.

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
The Razr and now the Razr Maxx are the best phones I have owned hands down no questions about it. Even with the rumors of the Droid Fighter or Razr Maxx HD whatever they want to call it, don't phase me. I have no qualms with the screen on the Maxx, I have even gotten used to the matte Steiheil screen protector on it making the screen a little fuzzy.

Having no fingerprints is worth it to me for the screen to have a little haze on it, I don't watch Netflix and even if I did I realize this is a phone not a portable HD TV.

forumjunkie44

Reaction score
I love my MAXX. Its nice not having to worry about being more than 10 feet from my charger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

cece5702

Reaction score
I love my Maxx and wouldn't trade it for anything. Its the best smart phone I've had hands down!!!!!

Scipizoa

Reaction score
I heard from alot of ppl that the Internal radio on the nexus is horrible, alot of connection issues even in dead area's where phones like the razr or rezound have no issue getting signals through

I got the maxx for the battery, and i don't regret it one bit

William_04_x

Reaction score
latexyankee said:
OP here..broke down yesterday and bought the maxx. It was I wanted, I was just trying to justify the price. Battery is pretty effin awesome, been playing all day and damn, the speed comin from an X...wow. happy customer.

Congrats, and enjoy! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
I too am looking at the razr / nexus.

I keep changing my mind day to day on which one I am going to get.

One big question.......what does the hacking ccommuniy think of the Razr? The locked bootloader is a major flaw. Will it have developer's support?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I would rather have a phone that does not need a special ROM to have it work the way I want. They can keep their unlocked bootloaders, I will keep my flawless Razr.

Reaction score

One big question.......what does the hacking ccommuniy think of the Razr? The locked bootloader is a major flaw. Will it have developer's support?

If modding is your main concern, get the nexus. Coming from a d1 its been kinda tough getting used to the lack of development ( no offense to any razr devs) but at the end of the day, i love my razr maxx and running the latest ics leak has got me in heaven.

Also got my fingers crossed for a possible bootloader unlock at some however unlikely it may be

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
Also there a decent amount of options to pick from as it is and once the developers get all the kinks worked out with ics, we will see a lot more action

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
droidaddict101 said:
If modding is your main concern, get the nexus. Coming from a d1 its been kinda tough getting used to the lack of development ( no offense to any razr devs) but at the end of the day, i love my razr maxx and running the latest ics leak has got me in heaven.

Also got my fingers crossed for a possible bootloader unlock at some however unlikely it may be

Even if modding is your main concern, I think you may be disappointed w the nexus. And I only say that based on friends that got the nexus and hated it. I also loved rooting and running roms on my d1 and keep waiting for the day where I feel the need or desire to with my Maxx but so far have been very content with it as is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

cdf3

Reaction score

I used to be concerned with locked boatloaders in the past. I always made sure I got phones that were unlocked. I was able to install custom ROMs and Kernels on my previous two Android phones. It was always refreshing to install something new, but unfortunately I never found a ROM that didn't have some type of bug or missing feature. I got to a point where I got tired of fiddling around with ROMs and Kernels. I wanted something that could work well right out of the box. I didn't find anything wrong with the Maxx, so I was content with it running stock. I did change the launcher. The stock launcher was fine. I just got tired of moving my thumbs all the way to the notification bar. I'm using a 3rd party launcher that allows me to do a swipe down gesture from anywhere on the home screen.

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
I had 3 gnex from Costco all had horrible reception issues, but I know a lot of people don't have that issue.

I like the nexus so much I'm considering trying one from verizon.

I really don't like moto blur, but today I am leaning towards the Razr Maxx.

Can't wait to sell my 4S and get it over with.