Are you getting the new MAXX?

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Just curious who here is upgrading to the new MAXX. I'm curious to see how much of a difference it is from this MAXX to the new one. More recently, I started using my phone in Webtop mode and I really am not pleased with the laggy performance. Granted, my 4G was cutting out on the 27th floor of a hotel I was in recently, I found the performance of the browser itself to be slow. I'm rooted and have frozen the appropriate apps.

Will there be new forums under the RAZR section even though the RAZR name has been dropped?

EDIT: I have a Bluetooth keyboard (with trackpad) which I have been using with my phone when I have it docked to my HD Station, plugged into a HDMI monitor. Specifically when I click or type, it's a bit laggy. I doubt this is the fault of the keyboard itself, as it seems when I'm operating my RAZR MAXX with finger swipes, it does lag a bit. I'm not using the stock theme. I'm back to using the GO Launcher. I like it much better than stock, although I haven't taken the time to compare performance. Previously, I'd reported terrible performance using the GO Theme, but after comparing a few other Launchers and doing an FDR, for whatever reason, GO seems to be performing better than it was.

I also have come to find out the new MAXX does not have a MicroSD card slot. Why not??? I got this information on PhoneArena.com.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Liking the new MAXX a lot and we'll be taking a much closer look soon. I have to get it into my hands and take it for a test drive. I just got the S4, but may jump back to Moto.

I already miss some of the thoughtful benefits of Motorola engineering, as well as having poor radio performance with the S4 on WIFI and 4G in certain areas of my home where the MAXX performed flawlessly.

I don't like the spring loaded car docks. Getting the phone into and out of it requires two hands and some contortions. I much prefer the custom snap-fit mounts of Motorola which allow one-handed operation.

As much as vanilla Android sounds nice, I actually like some of the MotoBlur (or bloat if you must). Simple little enhancements are also in some cases very effective. When working with the on-screen keyboard the Motorola phones include a thin row of cursor keys at the top...Not there with the S4.

I do like the haptic feedback vibrator in the Samsung phones over those in the Motorolas. I prefer the large key previews in the S4. The camera seems far more responsive and the pics appear to be better representations of the actual photo subject. I do like to be able to swap out the S4 battery and keep one charged and on standby, but I didn't need such a feature on the MAXX. The dialer on the S4 is better than the Moto. I do miss the HDMI port on the Motorola. For the volume rocker, I prefer two separate buttons instead of one long metal bar on which either end is pressed for up and down.

Ahh well. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Liking the new MAXX a lot and we'll be taking a much closer look soon. I have to get it into my hands and take it for a test drive. I just got the S4, but may jump back to Moto.
I'll be awaiting this.

The RAZR MAXX functions...well...decently as a SmartPhone, itself, but in the Webtop world...not so much. It's usable, if you have patience. My 6 year old Desktop runs better than it, though. If the new MAXX gives my Desktop a run for its money, I may consider an upgrade. I don't see that happening...yet. I have to see reviews.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Two reasons I WILL NOT get the new maxx.

NO extra storage

720p screen.

With all the phones going with high res screens and the GS4 with both a high res screen and external storage... and the same price, its a no brainer. Motorola made a big mistake.

Alas... the reported battery life is still supposedly stellar.

David

kooshie

Reaction score
I would love to get the new Maxx but I am unwilling to give up my unlimited data bat this point since I am still enjoying my current Maxx.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

NO extra storage

720p screen.

With all the phones going with high res screens and the GS4 with both a high res screen and external storage... and the same price, its a no brainer. Motorola made a big mistake.

Alas... the reported battery life is still supposedly stellar.

David

You certainly bring up two very good points. However for me, the eyesight isn't what it used to be and so with multi-focal contacts in, I can't really see a difference in real world application between my old Razr MAXX and my new S4. So the screen isn't a deal-breaker. As for the storage, now with cloud storage as a viable alternative anything that's really large file size, and that I don't need immediate access to is stored off in the cloud. The internal 16GB is plenty for the apps, email and texts, and for any files I need to carry. I also have a wireless storage device with me as close as my car, in a pinch it's a solution. I don't carry any music since I stream it from the home off a 2TB NAS drive. Any photos or video I take are instantly uploaded to Google+ so that's a non-issue.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Ditto FoxKat. I would love to hear more about your wireless storage. I'm more than likely getting the Maxx as I loved my Razr Maxx.

fbarks

Reaction score
Pretty sure the new Max is 32gb internal storage,, that plus the phenomenal battery looks like a winner to me.

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score

NO extra storage

720p screen.

David

Thanks David for chiming in. The lack of external storage is a big deal for me. I have no music on my external storage but I was on a short flight earlier this week where I had no wi-fi or 4g, therefore could not access Pandora or any of my Google Play music. I would need external storage for at least some of my music. Maybe the next MAXX will have a 1080p screen and a bigger battery? One would hope. Maybe those two would go hand-in-hand (bigger battery needed for better screen).

I would love to get the new Maxx but I am unwilling to give up my unlimited data bat this point since I am still enjoying my current Maxx.

From what I understand, you won't lose your unlimited data, PENDING you pay full price for the phone, which I think is about $699. Yeah, they're charging you $400 just to keep your unlimited data plan, the price with a contract is $299. Has there been any policy change that I'm unaware of?

kooshie

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]From what I understand, you won't lose your unlimited data, PENDING you pay full price for the phone, which I think is about $699. Yeah, they're charging you $400 just to keep your unlimited data plan, the price with a contract is $299. Has there been any policy change that I'm unaware of?[/QUOTE]

I don't believe that policy has changed, I am just also unwilling to pay that much for a device. At least at this point ;)

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I don't believe that policy has changed, I am just also unwilling to pay that much for a device. At least at this point ;)

You're probably right that the policy has not changed. I don't blame you for not paying that much for a device just to keep your unlimited plan. AFAIK, the RAZR family offers things which others do not, for the most part...with the HD Docking Station and the Lapdock 100/500s. Most importantly, a phone with a battery which will actually last like a SmartPhone is suppose to. I'm not satisfied with my MAXX when using it as a HD Station. When the performance STARTS to be somewhat decent, I'll wait for the NEXT iteration and consider purchasing it. I haven't seen anything yet of the new MAXX to convince me that it is all that much better. That, and I need to see the same features which David mentioned earlier in the thread on the MAXX.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I wish they would have kept the Razr maxx gps mount and of course the others...

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I wish they would have kept the Razr maxx gps mount and of course the others...

Wait...what? Are you saying the new phones don't have a supporting Car Dock and other docks? I don't know if I believe that just yet. I'm a bit confused as to what you mean.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Sorry. They do have one a gps mount for the Droid Maxx, but the Razr Maxx has the best one. By saying "the others" I was referring to an absent SD slot and HDMI.

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I don't get to update until the end of February and I hope some more phones come out before then. For me the big battery is really important because I am so used to it the idea of going back to a smaller battery is not appealing. I don't like no SD slot and don't understand the 720 screen. I like the look of the G4 but I know how good the moto reception is. I just wish more phones would start putting in 3000 or bigger batteries.