Razr Maxx..... So far not impressed. Hope that changes.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
First off, I am a Moto Man. Rest of the family has a mix of Samsung/Apple/HTC/LG. I have had Motorolas for my last 6-7 phones (at about 2 years per that is a long time)
I have been eligible for an upgrade since about this time last year. Finally got in the mood and went and pulled the trigger on a Razr Maxx (coming out of an X2)
Not interested in the Samsungs, was thinking of waiting for the Fighter/Razr HD but you can always wait for the "next" phone these days.
Anyway....
- The colors aren't even close to correct. Red is Pink which is somewhat ironic on Verizon.
- Battery, light use. Charging it due to need everyday. Have all the savers applicable turned on. Auto Dim, No GPS, No WiFI and I'm on 3G
- X2 screen and this one , too close to call.
I dunno, an "Upgrade" should be just that. I will say I do not miss the buttons on the X2 but the side power button on this Maxx after 3-4 days is still like finding (Umm) other mystery spots.
Sort of don't know what to do right now, keep it, take it back and.....what?
Oh well, bought into the hype I guess.
It would be so easy to design and build a game changer phone - I am starting to believe the reason why it ain't happening is because it would nix this "Every 3-4 month latest greatest phone cycle".
News Flash Big Red - That killed High End Audio folks. The hobby died because guys with the money said ENOUGH, STOP manipulating me.
They didn't stop so .....what's left? Twitter? No. Audio Images? No.
Anyway, not sure what to do phone wise. and maybe a little truth these days.

thebeeobee

Reaction score
If your reds look pink, you might want to return it. I'm looking at the my verizon app right now and it's definitely red.

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
If your reds look pink, you might want to return it. I'm looking at the my verizon app right now and it's definitely red.

The color issue was definately one of the first things I noticed, it was glaring. I am not a Big screen quality critic but honestly, my X2 was clearer and easier to read.
Perhaps there is an issue, seems odd but anything is possible.
Genuinely NOT looking to criticize the phone, already ordered an OtterBox case for it and want it to be "the next phone" just don't want to be making excuses for it.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
CaptainSS,

Your eyes, my eyes, or our phones differ. I'm not a hypercritical screen evaluator, either, but the red on my phone could not be any "redder." You may be right about the marketing based phone cycles. I've been wondering for years why they couldn't have invented the ultimate razor 30 years ago. :)

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well 30 years ago.... anyway. Given current market data (Who like what, Who wants what, Who is offering what) it would be a fairly easy product launch to offer up a
phone and an Ad campaign that basically says, "You asked, We delivered - Here it IS"

Instead, everything is just shy of the fence. Keeps everyone tuned in. Difference is, the cycle used to be a year to a year and a half. Now it's 3-4 months.

Back on subject colors are still wrong, light use and battery is dead by days end, overall performance NOT significantly different than the X2.
That is NOT an upgrade. If that was how my business ran it wouldn't run long.
Have to deliver on promises not come close.

mineolasmitty

Reaction score
You need to return the phone. It has problems. My reds are red. My phone has been on since 7 A.M and it is now 7 P.M. and I still have 80 percent charge left. This is with wifi and bluetooth running. I live in a 3G area so don't know what 4G would do to it
This is the best phone I have ever owned.

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Did you do the charging cycles on it before use? If you are having color or screen issues then go in and trade it in.

Charging "cycles" before use? Not new to Motorolas or Droids or these batteries. First I have heard of "charging cycles" before using.
As far as the colors, yes probably worth a trip back to the store. Also, regarding the battery - new phone out of the box and it did need the update which I believe has been out for awhile one sited benefit supposedly Better battery life, not sure if that was just for the razr or both but downloaded the update 2 days ago.
Perhaps it takes a little bit to take.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You definitely have a bad phone. Even at 10% brightness, my reds are very red, whites are white, blues are blue, etc. There are other people who have gotten Maxx's with horrible displays (colors washed out). Definitely take it in to Verizon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Guys, otherwise I probably would have just chalked it up to "Oh Well" .

Any tips on how to describe or what to ask for (Newer build date, older build date, etc.) I am typically not a big returner, would like to try and not have to do it 3-4 times if possible.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Just explain that you want to exchange it for a new one (not a refurb). Explain that your phones display is very washed out, the colors are very dull and you know from other people with Maxx 's that this is not normal...you know that the colors should be bright and brilliant. If you take it into a Verizon store, they would be able to see it themselves comparing it to other Maxx's. Also explain that you are definitely not the type of person to return phones but that this feels like a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

Caesars

Reaction score
Many battery tips can be used to help you out, however your screen sounds dysfunctional lol. I'd take that thing to the Verizon store and compare it to the display at the store. If its not the same return / exchange it as a defective phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Charging "cycles" before use? Not new to Motorolas or Droids or these batteries. First I have heard of "charging cycles" before using.
As far as the colors, yes probably worth a trip back to the store. Also, regarding the battery - new phone out of the box and it did need the update which I believe has been out for awhile one sited benefit supposedly Better battery life, not sure if that was just for the razr or both but downloaded the update 2 days ago.
Perhaps it takes a little bit to take.

Right from the Motorola factory, charge initially before activation with power off to 100%, approximately 3 hours. See image below, left side, 3rd pane, notice the clock with the 3H on it, and also notice it's telling you to charge BEFORE you turn on and activate the phone.

Also if you are having problems with the battery "lasting", it may not be the battery's actual levels you're seeing, do the following "meter training"...
  1. Power off the phone at the next opportunity you have where you won't need it for 3 hours or so.
  2. Plug the stock charger and stock cable in and allow the phone to boot into charge only mode (animated battery and percentage).
  3. Let the phone charge for 3 hours (or until it says 100%). To check charge level, briefly tap either volume button.
  4. Once it reaches 100%, go ahead and power up.
  5. Use normally throughout the day, but pay attention to the charge level when it gets near 20%.
  6. Once it reaches 15% and signals "Low battery", repeat steps 1 thru 5.
Never let the phone discharge to 0% and shut down on its own. Always charge soon after the phone reaches 15%, but definitely before it reaches 0%. Don't hesitate to charge partially at any time. The battery in this phone actually prefers shorter interim charges as opposed to long full charge cycles (except during the meter training described above).

You should perform the meter training once every 2-3 months with moderate use.

Good luck, and for more information on the proper care of these batteries check out our new http://www.droidforums.net/forum/smartphone-battery-discussion/ forum!

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just explain that you want to exchange it for a new one (not a refurb). Explain that your phones display is very washed out, the colors are very dull and you know from other people with Maxx 's that this is not normal...you know that the colors should be bright and brilliant. If you take it into a Verizon store, they would be able to see it themselves comparing it to other Maxx's. Also explain that you are definitely not the type of person to return phones but that this feels like a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

Many battery tips can be used to help you out, however your screen sounds dysfunctional lol. I'd take that thing to the Verizon store and compare it to the display at the store. If its not the same return / exchange it as a defective phone.

+1 to both above!

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
I also came from an X2 to the Maxx. There is no comparison. The Maxx is far superior. I see a lot of people complaining about the colors but this is an issue I don't have. The colors look brilliant to me. It's not the best screen I have seen, but it is the best I have seen on a Motorola device. The only complaint I have at all about my phone is how perfectly still it has to be held to take a pic.