MAJOR Motorola Droid issues... gotta get this fixed guys

realitybias

Reaction score
Ok, so let me relate to you what happened with my droid:

A while back, I downloaded the froyo update. My droid lost power and got bricked on the M screen. I tried formatting it and wiping the cache. I rebooted... still stuck in the m logo screen. So I tried doing it again, and this time selecting "update.zip." Doesn't work. I am met with an error that says

E: failed to open /sdcard/update.zip no such filename or directory
E: Signature verfication failed
installation aborted

I want to put a new update file on the SD card, but I cannot recognize my droid through usb because I cant activate USB mode.

Is there a way to load update.zip using the bootloader mode?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can put an update.zip on your SD card with a computer and a card reader

OP
R

realitybias

Reaction score
Don't have a card reader. Is there any way to do it straight from the bootloader mode?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
No - you cannot access the SD card from Boot Mode - I am guessing your device is stock and not rooted right ?

You can flash the SBF back to stock via Boot Mode - which would bring you to an earlier O/S with a clean slate ready to place your update.zip on the SD and get back to frg22

OP
R

realitybias

Reaction score
See, that's what I'm talking about. If I can pull something like that off, that would be nice. Can I do that given my phone's currently disabled status? I highly considered rooting it, but I didn't know if it being stuck at the m logo with a pretty messed up installation of froyo, apparently, would work. Can you help me out with that? Because I don't even know if my phone registers as froyo or 2.1, considering the froyo installation didn't even fully install.

OP
R

realitybias

Reaction score
Used SPRecovery and RSD to get access to my sd card, and was able to drop a valid update.zip file onto my droid.

I am getting a crazy error now when installing though... and before you ask, its only named update.zip, not update.zip.zip.

here's the error:

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/lib/libopencore_common.so" LOTS OF CHARACTERS")

E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.