Mainstream Media Starting to Catch On to What We Know about Android vs. iPhone

Trenton

Reaction score
Apple better bring the thunder (and lightning) with iPhone/ ios5.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Rumors of widgets and improved notification get a thumbs-up from me.

Honestly, I find navigation on my IPad cumbersome and annoying. I don't see the overall experience as better or easier than Android, just different. Didn't find it more or less intuitive and the learning curve was about the same. And I watched a friend plow thru setting up her IPad over the course of about an hour, and that's not including the whole ITunes BS. Pretty much confirms my suspicions that a lot of people prefer IOS not because it's actually easier/better but because Android is different from what they're used to.

I can sit here and rattle off a list of reasons why Android is better and actually more intuitive/functional, but I recognize a good part of that is personal preference and simply more comfort with what I'm used to. I even get annoyed over the vaunted App store the way I have to constantly tap to see the next 10-20 apps. I just have to laugh - I had a rather "higher expectation", shall we say, of my user experience.

Anyway, yeah, I like my IPad. And, no, I would not spend my money on one even after owning it - nice device but more of a toy (eventhough the whole homescreen layout of a grid of apps you click on is pretty boring and bland).

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Rumors of widgets and improved notification get a thumbs-up from me.

Honestly, I find navigation on my IPad cumbersome and annoying. I don't see the overall experience as better or easier than Android, just different. Didn't find it more or less intuitive and the learning curve was about the same. And I watched a friend plow thru setting up her IPad over the course of about an hour, and that's not including the whole ITunes BS. Pretty much confirms my suspicions that a lot of people prefer IOS not because it's actually easier/better but because Android is different from what they're used to.

I can sit here and rattle off a list of reasons why Android is better and actually more intuitive/functional, but I recognize a good part of that is personal preference and simply more comfort with what I'm used to. I even get annoyed over the vaunted App store the way I have to constantly tap to see the next 10-20 apps. I just have to laugh - I had a rather "higher expectation", shall we say, of my user experience.

Anyway, yeah, I like my IPad. And, no, I would not spend my money on one even after owning it - nice device but more of a toy (eventhough the whole homescreen layout of a grid of apps you click on is pretty boring and bland).

I agree about the learning curve portion. I dont really think ios is any more intuitive then Android, and was able to figure out both quite easily. I didn't struggle or need to look at a manual to figure out how to do what with Android. It's pretty straight-forward. iOS does put everything in a bright, shiny package though so there's definitely mainstream consumer appeal there (see those who just want everything at their fingertips).

as you mentioned, it's down to personal preference. both apple and google have amazing OS's in their hands, and both are making the best of what they got. i'm glad i'm around to enjoy the products of all this competition. and if iOS gets widgets and an improved notifications (without needing to jailbreak like you have to now), that's only going to improve the user experience.

droid doctor

Reaction score
They used to suck but they've gotten better. Ill admit the samsung droid charge does suck,but the rest are good.

Trenton

Reaction score
They used to suck but they've gotten better. Ill admit the samsung droid charge does suck,but the rest are good.

How do you figure that? The charge is the most expensive, with the best display and Battery life...

droid doctor

Reaction score

How do you figure that? The charge is the most expensive, with the best display and Battery life...

Build quality, poor battery life, and to me its ugly. I would not waste an upgrade on this I'd rather get the tbolt or the revo.

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
I am not in full agreement on some of those phones as being better than the iPhone 4. Given most of those phones were developed in the last 6-9 months they should be however just are not. One thing any Android can not compare to is battery life. I have owned both Android and iPhone. I can easily go one plus day on iPhone, where as my Droid X, Droid 1, G2 and Atrix struggled to make it 12 hours.

Apple also gets some much nicer accessories. As a user and abuser of my phone, I never want to be concerned about battery. Mophie's Juice pack makes the iPhone still look sleek and adds nice sound to the speaker phone and music listening.

In the end Nothing can truly be defined until iPhone 5 comes out with a dual core and other features. Too me the screen on iPhone 4 still beats all Androids I have used or owned. The Atrix qHD has come the closes.

Rindaen

Reaction score
Why would the next iPhone need dual Core to compete?
Apple working with hardware and software can make a device with less power run faster.

I cant go half a day without charging the Droid X and I use it as a Phone.
Its not a Portable game , Or for browsing the internet at an incredibly slow speed. If this was a Dual core phone I would need it plugged in 90% of the time.

Ofcourse my iPhone would last for Days on the same charge.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would the next iPhone need dual Core to compete?
Apple working with hardware and software can make a device with less power run faster.

I cant go half a day without charging the Droid X and I use it as a Phone.
Its not a Portable game , Or for browsing the internet at an incredibly slow speed. If this was a Dual core phone I would need it plugged in 90% of the time.

Ofcourse my iPhone would last for Days on the same charge.

Because some ppl here automatically think better specs means better phone. The reality of course is quite different. iPhone can't be beat in battery life or apps (no matter how much people refuse to admit that).

My D1 luckily gets great battery life, but of course that means great by android standards (around 18-20 hrs). the iphone can, like you said, go days.

there are things android does far better then iphone (notifications and customizations even without rooting definitely being my biggest thing), but there are also things the iphone does far better then android. a dual core phone that gets 10 hrs of battery life is not something to write home about, at least not to me.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ios dont need dual core, I can see the desire to put it on the tablet, but for thye phone itself nah. I do think it will come with dual core which will make it one of the fastest device, if not THE fastest device, on the market. Because ios runs one process at a time its not bouged down so it really dont need the aid of an extra processor.

Rindaen

Reaction score
All joking aside , my 13inch Apple Laptop Plays Wow better than a Quad Core Windows Desktop. Working to install Wine and then Rift next :)
When I have time to play that is..

I have heard the D1 has good battery life, Might end up getting a used one till my upgrade comes along. Getting old carrying a charge cable for the Dx everywhere I go :(

Wont say anything about Apps ( I Agree with you )

Instead of releasing a new device every 3 months it would be nice if Motorola would spend some time with the Hardware and software so that is doesnt drain the battery so quickly. I have always used Motorola Phones , Except for the 2 Years I used iPhones.