Nexus One vs. iPhone - On the same battlefield

J

JohnDroid

An epic battle is coming my friends. To what am I referring to? The Android nation vs the iPhone nation is finally drawing near. Rumors have recently surfaced that shortly following the initial release of the Nexus One for the T-Mobile network there will be a second revision.... for the AT&T network.

What does this mean? Well, it means that there will finally be a battle between the iPhone and one of the top Android phones on the same network. We can finally do an apples to apples comparison and remove one of the biggest variables, the phone's network.

The Nexus One Forum news article outlines a bit more here: AT&T Version of Nexus One to follow initial release - Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum

The Android & Droid Nation of course will be rooting for the underdog in this monster battle. Any improvements made to the Nexus One will of course also find their way into the Droid platform in future updates, and hacks if necessary.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Still AT&T....ugh!

Another data intense device on an already crippled network.

Reaction score
Honestly, the biggest issue is that most people have issues figuring out smartphones.

They have had ipods for years and they know apple devices are easy and fairly reliable out of the box.

Now, of course without jailbreaking, the iphone is going to be more limited than an android device, and android devices can be argued to not be any harder to use than an iphone. However, it's perception.

Also, if you are reading this, chances are you not only prefer android (otherwise why are you on the forum?) but that you are the kind of person who takes the time to learn a platform. I don't think that's the general public, though that seems to be changing as people become more and more tech savvy.

Also, people like to be able to go to a store and talk to people. iphone users can go to apple stores and to AT&T. Android users can only talk to people in the carrier stores. If you think that's not an issue, please print the FAQ from this forum and then take it to your nearest verizon store and see how much the employees know.

So although I will be interested in this "epic battle" I still like my droid since it's on Verizon and I still think the iphone is going to retain marketshare for a couple years. I'm not saying what I want or prefer, just want seems to be going on.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
Ya--I'm not feeling it when it gets on AT&T. Right now, one of the biggest selling features is the DROID is on the best network and people immediately have a better experience with just the basic functions (compared to the iDrone / AT&T combo).

- Mega

OP
J

JohnDroid

Well, the initial two releases will work on the T-Mobile network and then the AT&T network. After that, the sky is the limit. I would imagine they won't want to cannibalize sales of the Droid that they spent $100M marketing, so I don't think we'll see a Verizon version anytime soon.

souljerr

Reaction score
While Android is making great strides I don't expect it to fair well head to head against the iPhone. I think we have to remember the headstart the iPhone has had and, in spite of the advertising campaign Motorola / Verizon but on for the Droid, the Android platform is still not as mainstream.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Can we make a prediction?

Nexus gets decimated by the Apple iPhone on AT&T due to if people already own an iPhone, they'll wait for the next Apple device coming later in the year. Besides the market for an Android device was never needed as much on AT&T compared to Verizon for this very reason. The sale potential is much more limited. Of course this is all prediction but time will show us truth.

Everyone knows Nexus is a T-Mobile riddled phone for the most part. If any marketing is done post-release in the United States...it will target T-Mobile.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO, the biggest draw away from the iPhone is not necessarily another phone, but another network :) VZW will sell more Android handsets than AT&T will. AT&T is already data crippled. Just a guess however...

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I thought the Google phone is primarily for T-Mobile (although will work on ATT's GSM network)?

The initial release of the Nexus One will not have the hardware necessary for it to communicate with AT&T's GSM network, only T-Mobile's. They use different bands, if I'm understanding correctly.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
While Android is making great strides I don't expect it to fair well head to head against the iPhone. I think we have to remember the headstart the iPhone has had and, in spite of the advertising campaign Motorola / Verizon but on for the Droid, the Android platform is still not as mainstream.

You're probably correct. The people who have the iPhone, by and large, love it. Any problems they have with the iPhone is actually with AT&T's network -- another phone on the same network is not going to draw them away. People who don't have the iPhone, but are on AT&T and (for whatever reason) want to stay on AT&T, are the ones that this phone might appeal to. I'm thinking that this will be a relatively small number of people.

And folks who are fed up with AT&T's problems will not be sticking with AT&T to test out the new Nexus One phone -- they'll be jumping to another carrier (like Verizon) and possibly will pick up an Android phone on their new carrier (like the way the Droid has drawn many ex-iPhone users over to Verizon.)

Having said that, I am interested in seeing a head-to-head between the Nexus One and the iPhone on the same network. I've heard that the iPhone's hardware is part of the problem with the dropped calls, etc. -- I'd really like to see how the N1 performs against the iPhone on the same network. I'm betting there will be some very surprised people out there when a true head-to-head comparison is made.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
IMO, the biggest draw away from the iPhone is not necessarily another phone, but another network :) VZW will sell more Android handsets than AT&T will. AT&T is already data crippled. Just a guess however...
Good point BUT its a combination of another phone AND another Network....

Apple will have to pull something out of the hat this summer with the iPhone or it will begin to take some hits with an Android device hitting AT&T.

Without a doubt though Apple is going to feel the heat because these Android devices are quite capable and the support from Google just gives it that extra push it needs.

It's not going to be an overnight thing but I think it's going to be a slow burn.

It's definitely a good time to own an Android device this much is true

OP
W

WERA689

I, for one, will drop my iPhone like a hot potato if/when AT&T gets the Nexus One. I've tinkered with this device, and it is simply awesome! As for AT&T's data 'issues'...I just haven't had any in my travels around the Southeast. Recent upgrades in North GA (where I spend the majority of my time) have made voice and data extremely stable for me. I've been with AT&T since they were BellSouth Mobility back in '96, and they've been great for me, so far.

dos

Reaction score
This is a good battle I can't wait to see. Let these 2 (Google and Apple) battle it out, and the consumer comes out the winner.