Nexus One vs. iPhone - On the same battlefield

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
And folks who are fed up with AT&T's problems will not be sticking with AT&T to test out the new Nexus One phone -- they'll be jumping to another carrier (like Verizon) and possibly will pick up an Android phone on their new carrier (like the way the Droid has drawn many ex-iPhone users over to Verizon.)
Yep, that was my case, couldn't take AT&T anymore, gave them a year here (after crappy service in Knoxville for 2 years and Charlotte for over a year) and finally made the switch. And yeah, according to a survey a few weeks ago AT&T was DEAD LAST in EVERY category except for a few that were specific to iPhone users.

As for AT&T's data 'issues'...I just haven't had any in my travels around the Southeast. Recent upgrades in North GA (where I spend the majority of my time) have made voice and data extremely stable for me. I've been with AT&T since they were BellSouth Mobility back in '96, and they've been great for me, so far.
Good to hear they have some market where they are usable. When we moved to Nashville they said "we'll have 3G in this area within a year"... well the year came and went and their coverage got WORSE...

But as an iPhone user would you really make the switch? Do you have the same functionality (i.e. music playback ect) on your Droid that you have on the iPhone? Or do you just like the Android platform better?

OP
W

WERA689

I only reluctantly got the iPhone...reluctantly because I'm not an Apple fanboi. In fact, I rather dislike them. But Verizon wanted a huge deposit for the Droid, and AT&T had the iPhone. I wanted to get rid of WinMo...which I hated, and AT&T treated my like they valued my business. I wanted a touchscreen smartphone, and this is what AT&T had.

So, if the Nexus does indeed come to AT&T, I'll be all over it! Yes, I like Android.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I only reluctantly got the iPhone...reluctantly because I'm not an Apple fanboi. In fact, I rather dislike them. But Verizon wanted a huge deposit for the Droid, and AT&T had the iPhone. I wanted to get rid of WinMo...which I hated, and AT&T treated my like they valued my business. I wanted a touchscreen smartphone, and this is what AT&T had.

So, if the Nexus does indeed come to AT&T, I'll be all over it! Yes, I like Android.

LOL, glad to see I'm not alone. Did you ever use the Tilt or Tilt2? Those were my last phones (with cooked ROMs) and they were GREAT (well as good as a WM phone could be). I just couldn't take AT&T anymore. Glad to see the CS reps in your area still know how to treat customers. They should train the ones here.
Off topic, do you guys have the U-Verse service there yet? That was the other reason I was waiting, but they were too slow on that as well. Looks GREAT!

OP
W

WERA689

LOL, glad to see I'm not alone. Did you ever use the Tilt or Tilt2? Those were my last phones (with cooked ROMs) and they were GREAT (well as good as a WM phone could be). I just couldn't take AT&T anymore. Glad to see the CS reps in your area still know how to treat customers. They should train the ones here.
Off topic, do you guys have the U-Verse service there yet? That was the other reason I was waiting, but they were too slow on that as well. Looks GREAT!

No U-Verse. In fact, I'm a long-time, extremely satisfied DirecTV customer...largely because I got fed up with Comcast's incompetence :). In fact, I get a discount by bundling my DirecTV with my AT&T services!
I did play around with a Tilt2, and it was still incredibly slow and kludgy. The iPhone kicked its A$$ all over the store! And the Tilt2 was $100 more!!! I don't think so...

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
No U-Verse. In fact, I'm a long-time, extremely satisfied DirecTV customer...largely because I got fed up with Comcast's incompetence :).
I did play around with a Tilt2, and it was still incredibly slow and kludgy. The iPhone kicked its A$$ all over the store! And the Tilt2 was $100 more!!! I don't think so...

Ah, understandable. No good with Comcast huh? Been using them for 3 years now and love it. Amazing how the same companies can be so different just a few 100 miles away. Kind of pathetic really. Sadly I'm on the wrong side of the apartment to get DirectTV, I do like them though, parents have had them forever. Anyway back to topic.

The battle between these two is one step in the right direction (i.e. competition within carriers instead of between them). I still wish the US market would get to where the rest of the world is (i.e. phones not tied to carriers). Personally I think it's a better system.

OP
W

WERA689

The battle between these two is one step in the right direction (i.e. competition within carriers instead of between them). I still wish the US market would get to where the rest of the world is (i.e. phones not tied to carriers). Personally I think it's a better system.

On that we completely agree.

Reaction score
WERA689, just curious, since you've used WinMo, iPhone and Android, what did you hate so much about WinMo?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
WERA689, just curious, since you've used WinMo, iPhone and Android, what did you hate so much about WinMo?

Not to take away from WERA689 but until he responds: I've used WM for the past 3 years (and taken part it several custom ROMs). A stock WM ROM is firstly, ridiculously slow. And if you do not want to Unlock and flash your device they are annoying slow when compared to other 'smartphones' (like the BlackBerrys or iPhone). They are also VERY restrictive if not unlocked (i.e. you essential are stuck with what you get in the box) as most 3rd party apps/plugins simply run OVER the WM services instead of replacing them (thus making them even slower). Even on Windows 7 with the newest MDC syncing is less than perfect and if you don't want to use Outlook (say you like 3rd party like Thunderbird) you have to shell out money to get it to Sync and even then it's not great. I had great hopes that the new Tilt2 was going to resolve much of this (like the speed) but even with all it's power it's still screwed by M$ poor OS structure. Those were my gripes, I look forward to seeing WERA689s.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and they're EXPENSIVE... you have to pay a hefty premium to run WM.

????wtf, wouldn't let me 'edit' the above post?

Finkle

Reaction score
So, they just announced Verizon is getting the N1 in Spring. Heh.

jmacal83

Reaction score
So, they just announced Verizon is getting the N1 in Spring. Heh.

HEELLLL YEAH !!!!!..

This will be one great battle not only between google phone and Apple phone OS's...but with the other Hardware Manufacturers = Motorola, & HTC,

bass_lover1

Reaction score
I thought the Google phone is primarily for T-Mobile (although will work on ATT's GSM network)?

The initial release of the Nexus One will not have the hardware necessary for it to communicate with AT&T's GSM network, only T-Mobile's. They use different bands, if I'm understanding correctly.

It won't have the hardware necessary to communicate with AT&T's 3G bands, those are on different frequencies. It will however, still work on their Edge network, which is painfully slow.

gentlefury

Reaction score
people have stayed with ATT's horrid network FOR the iPhone....I have many friends that ONLY have ATT because of the iPhone. The people I do know that went Droid did it to have a phone that is as good as the iPhone on a far superior network. Why would someone want a Nexus on ATT...if your going to use the worst carrier available why would you want a phone that isn't unique to that carrier. iPhone junkies will stay with ATT everyone else will either go to Verizon for better service or T-Mobile for better price and about the same level of service.