Mac OSx on pc

yellar

Reaction score
I am sure with all the folks on here maybe someone can answer this....With the new Leopard OS can I install it on a pc laptop specifically an asus with a centrino 2 cpu and 4gb ram. I been reading some stuff online and I think it might work but I am not sure. I was planning on buying the 29.00 version from Best Buy. I assume this would work. Any help wold be appreciated!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use a Mac. I know you can load Windows on a Mac but I was not aware that a PC would support the Mac OS.

Mike

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The art of the Hackintosh (or, installing OSX on a vanilla PC) can either be simple (as in the case of something like a Dell Mini 9 netbook) or maddeningly frustrating (depending on EXACT hardware config - things like chipset, graphics adapter model/type, even Wifi card - i've run into a couple of cases where I had a laptop with a non-Broadcom wifi card that just wouldn't work, and due to hardware limitations swapping to a Broadcom card resulted in a card that couldn't be turned on)

In the end, there are pretty specific instructions for a few configs out there, in most cases you're on your own. What you want to do is read up on things at www.insanelymac.com and if it's not too daunting, go ahead and give it a try.

In the case of the Dell Mini 9, it's literally simpler than installing Windows and took about an hour.

In other cases, i've spent literally months making things work, including one time where I had to basically hex edit a graphics kext (driver, sort of like a .ko file in Linux)

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The art of the Hackintosh (or, installing OSX on a vanilla PC) can either be simple (as in the case of something like a Dell Mini 9 netbook) or maddeningly frustrating (depending on EXACT hardware config - things like chipset, graphics adapter model/type, even Wifi card - i've run into a couple of cases where I had a laptop with a non-Broadcom wifi card that just wouldn't work, and due to hardware limitations swapping to a Broadcom card resulted in a card that couldn't be turned on)

In the end, there are pretty specific instructions for a few configs out there, in most cases you're on your own. What you want to do is read up on things at www.insanelymac.com and if it's not too daunting, go ahead and give it a try.

In the case of the Dell Mini 9, it's literally simpler than installing Windows and took about an hour.

In other cases, i've spent literally months making things work, including one time where I had to basically hex edit a graphics kext (driver, sort of like a .ko file in Linux)

yea id say go with this. my link took me 20 seconds to find :)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Never thought Bill and Steve would "come together"

Mike

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

So true. My last PC I had custom built just for this purpose, with exact parts for a headache free Hackingtosh install....and never installed it. lol I researched the most trouble free mobo for many, many weeks. I think thats the biggest hurdle...

As long my PC holds up I may get around to installing it.

Last edited: