mac or windows

papatar

Reaction score
i'm going to be getting a second laptop and am thinking of giving Mac a try. i'm online a lot but mainly just stuff like this-forums of things i'm interested in or looking into something i'm curious about. no gaming but i might like to try some home recording. Is it a hassle getting a mac version of most programs-almost like pc is right-handed and mac is left handed-you only get some things but not all. bear in mind this comes from someone with absolutely no personal mac experience. do you think i need such a top notch machine or would i be just as well off with another pc. thanks for any input

Krish

Reaction score
Mac os is really nice, yet the hardware is expensive. If price is no option then go with Mac. If your on a budget I'd say go with windows 7. Hp Desktops/laptops are nice if your not much into gaming and just media related use.

A lot of the things made for windows also works on mac. It all depends on what specifically you look for. But then again there's always a way around incompatibility.

I was once in this predicament as well. But i was looking for a gaming laptop and mac laptops are very expensive compared to ones like asus + windows 7. You'd find better specs on a pc than a mac, yet get it cheaper. Macs are just well known due to the quality of material used to make them, in my opinion ofc. Oh and the OS is very fun to play with :p

holeshot

Reaction score
I have both and I prefer Mac but thats just me. After growing up with windows it was a little tough changing over. But now its second nature. I do still have windows the wife's laptop. You can partition you mac to run Windows to and run VM ware. RSD Lite is windows based so I need windows for that and a lot of my automotive Apache software

OP
P

papatar

Reaction score
i've been using an HP pavillion that has been fine for the last 2-3 years. i'm just curious about macs. what 'holeshot' is saying about needing windows for certain programs-RSD lite for example-thats whats holding me back.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Had windows comps my whole life and always had issues. Switched to Mac in 2007 and haven't had any major issues. The security on Mac's is great without having to spend hundreds on protection software. It's definitely not for the extreme power user of mega gamer but if it is just for everyday normal use I would recommend a mac. You will find most people in the forum are very anti-apple and will suggest otherwise.

holeshot

Reaction score
what 'holeshot' is saying about needing windows for certain programs-RSD lite for example-thats whats holding me back.

Its really not a big deal. Most of the time running VM ware works great except for rsd lite the you need to run the windows partition side. I have 48 Gig of my 500 Gig HHD for the windows partition the rest is Mac. You run VM through OS X. Transferring / file sharing is a breeze with VM

Hers a link to VM. Read it and you will see how easy it is.

VMware Fusion: Run Windows 7 and Chrome OS on Mac for Desktop Virtualization

OP
P

papatar

Reaction score
i will read up on that. thanks. its the macbook pro i'm looking at. i like the size of the 15 but i was told the 17 is a better machine-by the salesman

holeshot

Reaction score
Got to an Apple store or Best buy and play with them both and buy what your comfortable with. Dont be pressured by sales people. Do your research. I would personally buy from Apple direct un less you have a hook up . They are a tad expensive but well worth it. JMHO

Oh yeah I would never buy an Iphone ever !!