[KERNEL] Kernel (deprimed_test) - Break It If You Can

phonetool

Reaction score
OT

I just looked at the price of a nexus....$799 are you freaking kidding me (Samsung can go f themselves in the a!).

lol
...which is why I got my dream phone (D1) two years after launch and I'm cruising Craigslist for 1-year-old phones.
Maybe I'll get a Droid X next or an Evo...
Can't afford new stuff and don't want to be an 'early adopter'.
There is value in following the big trends!

- onDroid

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Btw, I've been wondering this for awhile...maybe you can answer, prime. Why is it the Droid has kernels capable of 1.25 GHz+ when the rated processor speed was 600 but other phones can't be overclocked that much? (Basically how can we overclock the Droid more than double rated speed but other phones barely get more than a couple MHz faster?)

supercharged modified liquid 3.1 w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Btw, I've been wondering this for awhile...maybe you can answer, prime. Why is it the Droid has kernels capable of 1.25 GHz+ when the rated processor speed was 600 but other phones can't be overclocked that much? (Basically how can we overclock the Droid more than double rated speed but other phones barely get more than a couple MHz faster?)

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

It boils down to the OMAP3430 being highly over-engineered basically. Not many processors can achieve a 50% overclock.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now I'm having an odd issue with this kernel...nothing big but a few benchmark apps don't work properly, mainly antutu benchmark and rl benchmark...antutu freezes mid test and rl benchmark doesn't run its benchmarks at all...weird???

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your vsels are too low.

Hmm, the values must have been on the very edge of what they should be for my phone then because before doing my few little tweaks everything worked fine...I'll try bumping the higher speed slot ones by 1 or 2 and see if it helps

Edit: didn't really change anything raising the vsels...I guess your kernel just doesn't like having extra tweaks lol...oh well, I was planning on switching roms soon anyway, I'll let ya know how it runs on miui rom when I get it set up :)

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

Last edited:
OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hmm, the values must have been on the very edge of what they should be for my phone then because before doing my few little tweaks everything worked fine...I'll try bumping the higher speed slot ones by 1 or 2 and see if it helps

Edit: didn't really change anything raising the vsels...I guess your kernel just doesn't like having extra tweaks lol...oh well, I was planning on switching roms soon anyway, I'll let ya know how it runs on miui rom when I get it set up :)

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

Runs great on miui for myself anyway. Low vsel values can have detrimental effects causing force closures, overheating and other general strange behavior.

Zeps scripts cause issues with or without my kernel, I tried v6 on my X and it caused random rebooting and an increased amount of force closures. While a good idea I find they cause more problems than they solve, much like swap.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Runs great on miui for myself anyway. Low vsel values can have detrimental effects causing force closures, overheating and other general strange behavior.

Zeps scripts cause issues with or without my kernel, I tried v6 on my X and it caused random rebooting and an increased amount of force closures. While a good idea I find they cause more problems than they solve, much like swap.

Yeah, I just changed my top slot from 1250 down to 1200 with the same vsel of 80 and it's much better now...I guess every phone/rom/kernel/extra scripts setup behaves differently...oh well, I can live with it...btw is it just me or does miui handle graphics differently than other roms? Its seems like the graphics are way better for some reason

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Btw, what do you think of different I/O schedulers? I know noop, deadline and cfq are the most popular especially for Android phones but what about any others? I'm just asking because according to Zeppelinrox kickasskernel I/O tweak it says sio is preferred over deadline which is preferred over noop which is preferred over cfq...I don't know a whole lot about the schedulers so I'm not sure if that's right or not...I haven't even seen the sio scheduler in any kernels though

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Btw, what do you think of different I/O schedulers? I know noop, deadline and cfq are the most popular especially for Android phones but what about any others? I'm just asking because according to Zeppelinrox kickasskernel I/O tweak it says sio is preferred over deadline which is preferred over noop which is preferred over cfq...I don't know a whole lot about the schedulers so I'm not sure if that's right or not...I haven't even seen the sio scheduler in any kernels though

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

I think CFQ performance is best, deadline is most compatible, noop is simplistic and SIO I have no experience with.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think CFQ performance is best, deadline is most compatible, noop is simplistic and SIO I have no experience with.

Hmm, I wouldn't mind comparing the different ones but what would be a script to change the I/o scheduler be though? (Specifically how to change to noop)

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Run this script in a su term:

for i in /sys/block/*
do
echo noop > $i/queue/scheduler
done

Or download here and run: http://db.tt/YCffbAg

Last edited:

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Run this script in a su term:

for i in /sys/block/*
do
echo noop > $i/queue/scheduler
done

Or download here and run: http://db.tt/YCffbAg

hmm, i guess there is somthing in your kernel that wants to default to deadline every reboot so i just put it in as an init.d script...btw not sure if it was because i changed this or just your kernel in general but i decided to try it out at 1250 with 84 vsels just for a test and got my highest quadrant yet lol...it was a whopping 1911 compared to about 1850 being my previous best...nice job prime :)

lfylove

Reaction score
Development stop here? Cause I got my og for 1 more week

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums