[KERNEL] Kernel (deprimed_test) - Break It If You Can

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Here is the kernel I'm working on, report issues as they arise please.

http://bit.ly/deprimed_test

If you have an issue with deprimed try my primed kernel, please try deprimed first as it's compatible with more Droid devices.
{These kernels are completely different, so much so I cannot list the changes.}

http://bit.ly/primed_test
(current primed kernel reports #14)

Please copy any existing /etc/init.d/20overclock you may have customized, my kernels will erase it for safety upon installation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you bootloop after using the primed command or after editing the 20overclock file please flash the following zip.

{The zip will remove any overclock file that may be loading upon boot}

Remove any overclock with: declock.zip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post your thoughts and experiences, will be adding features/fixes as time progresses.

The kernel is 250mhz - 900mhz Standard Voltage (with ULV | LV | SV | IV | coming by way of overclock) (More on this later). I have worked extremely hard on this and hope to have the testing phase complete soon as there are more exciting developments to come.

*addition information*

I started by pulling the cm-stk git currently maintained by cvpcs (stock cyanogen mod) and removed unnecessary features, added various bits of code from newer kernels, added missing droid specific omap features, integrated the overclock module, changed timings relating to scheduling, added two new schedulers, added various network related features (will talk more on all this later).

The kernel is meant to be lean but feature rich at the same time, I try to note changes (especially in code) but I have changed so much its hard to keep track of everything.

I am not randomly changing or adding things like most do, I am working with 10+ years of linux kernel knowledge and everything I add/removed/change is specific to needs I and others may have.

Deprimed test #2 up, url will remain the same.

Major things worth mentioning are.

Reverted scheduler to deadline, changed bottom slot to 250 for time being, disabled mailbox support on dsp bridge, changed to slub allocator, enabled TI wlan enhanced SDIO contoller support, changed system timer type to MPU, disabled debugging in various places for speed....many other changes.

fixed compcache

Deprimed test #3 up - same URL

fixed wifi, changed to SLOB allocator, changed timer speed, disabled TI WLAN Enhanced SDIO controller, more DSP Bridge changes...etc..etc.

Deprimed test #4 up - temporary kernel with zram instead of ramzswap

Deprimed test #5 up

Finally got wifi working to my satisfaction (removed debugging altogether for a lean/faster driver), this will be the base kernel unless someone has issues.

Milestone Overclock for deprimed kernel: http://bit.ly/dpoverclock

Deprimed test #6 (Kernel reports #2) - same URL

Changed default scheduler to CFQ (deadline is still available), enabled several debugging options for better statistics in powertop, changed default top slot to 900mhz, re-enabled TI WLAN Enhanced SDIO controller, changed to SLOB allocater, enabled Dnotify, various other changes.

Deprimed test #7 (Kernel reports #1) - same URL
Switched to LV 125 - 900mhz by default, added ext3 driver (inside kernel), added ext4 driver (loadable module), added the option restart to compcache (compcache restart), enabled Dnotify again (it was disabled due to a former kernel option), added additional USB networking features (for USB tethering on gingerbread), switched to android gadget stack (was using USB OTG), removed debugging from WIFI module once again, various ipv4 additions for compatibility and advanced networking.

Added updated_deprimed command only for Clockwork Recovery users...explanation in the Additional Scripts post below.

Deprimed test #8 (Kernel reports #3) - same URL

Fixed lag, fixed wifi, disabled TI SDIO and hopefully fixed 3G issues.

Deprimed test #9 (Kernel reports #4) - same URL

Switched kernel back to SV (Standard Voltage as some could not boot kernel) - Use modified deprimed Milestone Overclock application and the deprimed kernel command (overclock) to go LV (Low Voltage).

Deprimed test #10 (Kernel reports #5) - same URL

Enabled somewhat hidden kernel feature that should allow device to enter deeper sleep, scripts notify you of what there doing, removed debugging from more places, included overclock module, changed overclock script to use /system/lib/modules overclock module...remember if your a CWR user you can update using the 'update_deprimed' script in a su terminal.

You do not need the modified deprimed MSOC with this build (or any future build) to use overclock.

Deprimed test #11 (Kernel reports #3) - same URL

Changed to deadline scheduler (permanently), changed to SLOB allocator (permanently), changed bottom slot to 250mhz (permanently), updated overclock script to reflect changed addresses, various TCP ipv4/6 changes to latency, etc...etc.

Deprimed test #12 (Kernel reports #7) - same URL

Changed kernel vermagic to 2.6.32.9-deprimed, integrated overclock into kernel source, added one more overclock variable to overclock script, removed mailbox support on DSP, more defined set of networking options, removed more debugging from PowerVR graphic driver, enabled low-level LCD backlight control, etc..etc.

I hate doing changelogs =3

Deprimed Milestone Overclock updated - http://bit.ly/dpoverclock

Please uninstall the previous version of Milestone Overclock before installing the update.

Deprimed test #13 (Kernel reports #17 ) - ( 3/17/2011 )

Enabled DNOTIFY for CIFS networking module, added NFS client networking support (by request), enabled advanced partition selection, disabled stack unwinding in kernel debugging (smaller kernel), disabled detection of soft and hard lockups (no functionality is gained from these), enabled kernel mem{cpy,set}() for {copy_to,clear}_user() (Experimental), updated scripts for better function (no new functionality), enabled CPU idle PM support (should lower CPU sleep usage), enabled PM (Power Management) core, enabled an additional USB networking feature in the battle to resolve the USB Tethering issue on gingerbread.

If your already using deprimed remember the 'update_deprimed' script.

Deprimed test #15 {#14 changelist combined} (Kernel reports #27 ) - ( 4/3/2011 )

Changed to SLOB allocator (trying it again), reverted back to Deadline IO scheduler (CFQ still available as module), enabled Block layer SG support, enabled experimental mem cpy functionality, enabled Run-time PM (Power Management) core functionality, enabled Wireless extensions on sysfs, enabled cfg80211 - wireless configuration API (as module), enabled MTD using block device (as module for future testing), added a new CPU governor I call bumblebee (a smartass modification), fixed the long standing timing issues for the ondemand CPU governor, other miscellaneous changes not listed because memory fails me :)

bumblebee CPU governor: a modified version of the smartass CPU governor by Erasmux, I changed the latency/timing code to suit the OMAP 3430 (Droid) CPU and will be expanding the code to further performance and expose the control aspects (screenon/off minimum speeds, up/down ramp timing, etc..etc) through an android application. The bumblebee CPU governor currently sets the screenoff maximum to 400/450mhz depending on if your running stock deprimed slots or 'primed', the screenon minimum is set to 250mhz.

Deprimed test #16 (Kernel reports #33 ) - ( 4/4/2011 )

Tweaked bumblebee latency timer, fixed camera, made toast, ate it...j/k.

Deprimed test #17 (Kernel reports #6 ) - ( 4/20/2011 )

Cloned cvpcs git, pushed deprimed code, reconfigured kernel to be faster, leaner and more feature rich. All future tracking will done through github and my twitter feed. When I push any changes to deprimed they will be seen on twitter and of course github. I will still be updating the thread to post kernel version and support.

Deprimed test #18 (Kernel reports #8 ) - ( 4/21/2011 )

Changed the bumblebee default ramp up/down timing (should be faster), rebuilt wifi module using proper kernel source tree (was still using old deprimed source).

Deprimed test #19 (Kernel reports #9 ) - ( 4/23/2011 )

Added (bluetooth) BNEP multicasting to fix bluetooth issue connecting to vehicle audio system, removed extraneous networking features, added TCP CUBIC congestion algorithm (enabled by default), miscellaneous other networking changes.

Deprimed test #20 (Kernel reports #1) - (4/29/2011)

Added the Brain **** Scheduler aka BFS (follow the wikipedia link for more information). Integrated to further increase battery life without decreasing performance. (no interaction required as BFS is enabled by default). Pulled from the git of gfunkmonk.

Full BFS Information (from the author Con Kolivas): http://bit.ly/mOG0DQ

Regards,
prime

My github account: https://github.com/f1vefour
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I dedicate this work to my cousin Crystal "dink" (1976 - 2011), she was a true friend and I will miss her greatly.

Last edited:
OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Additional Scripts

I have included the following scripts in the kernel zip to aid in the use of the Milestone Overclock module, please uninstall the market version of Milestone Overclock if it is installed.

These are the deprimed kernel stock vsel values (Milestone Overclock Format):

900mhz = vsel:63
800mhz = vsel:62
700mhz = vsel:62
600mhz = vsel:62
550mhz = vsel:56
400mhz = vsel:39
250mhz = vsel:39

Install the deprimed Milestone Overclock application before running the overclock, primed or deprimed scripts: http://bit.ly/dpoverclock

Scripts available (These should be ran in a su terminal).

1.) overclock

The overclock script will automatically load the overclock module and run my ULV overclock 250 - 900mhz script.

2.) primed

The primed script will create a 20overclock file in /etc/init.d/, execute the file, and kernel will boot up in ULV 250 - 900mhz until the deprime script is ran.

3.) deprime

The deprime script will undo the primed script, once ran your kernel will boot into the stock deprimed test kernel voltages and slots 250 - 900mhz SV

4.) sysrw

This script allows you to mount the system partition in read/write mode.

5.) sysro

This script allows you to mount the system partition in read only mode.

6.) update_deprimed

To Clockwork Recovery users, this script will download the latest deprimed kernel, reboot into CWR and install.

[ If you use RZRecovery simply install the /sdcard/deprimed_test_kernel.zip after your device reboots into recovery. ]

7.) compcache restart

You can run this script anytime your device begins to feel laggy from having compcache enabled, it disables (freeing all memory) then re-enables zswap
for that fresh booted feeling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milestone Overclock Installation Instructions

Uninstall any previous version of MSOC, install the deprimed version of Milestone Overclock, next run Milestone Overclock and select "Load module", now close Milestone Overclock and run desired command.

You do not need the MSOC application to use these scripts any more, I will leave the information for the time being.

Last edited:
OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Tether Solutions

Wifi Tethering Please Use: WiFi Tether 3.0 pre11

USB Tethering Please Use: Wired Tether 1.4

If running gingerbread this kernel is compatible with the Android integrated USB Tethering solution (simply enable USB Tether in wireless settings with USB cable plugged into PC).

Note: These are not available in the market currently.

Link2SD Users: This is a link2sd pre-installation script, it will remove /etc/init.d/05mountsd (mounts to /sd-ext) and replace it with a modified version that mounts (and scans if an issue is detected) the second (ext2/3/4) based SD Card partition using the ext4 driver.

You need to make certain /data/sdext2 exists before flashing the zip/using link2sd...this is a safety measure to prevent any possible mishaps with a previous /data/sdext2 setup.

Link2sd Pre-installation Flashable zip: http://bit.ly/gpGpKX

Last edited:

DanDroidX

Reaction score
I am downloading it now. I will reply back with what I think of it. I like your reprimed so this one ought to be nice also.

When you say "DO NOT USE OVERCLOCK" do you mean do not use the Milestone overclock 1.4.7?
I figured it out. overclock1.4.7 just doesn't load the module.

Grab the SOFA

Awesomedropping.....

Last edited:

tv31284

Reaction score
Works good so far. My phone wakes up to calls fine, but load averages range from 2's to low 4's. Other than that, wifi, wireless tether, and compcache seem to be working fine. Thanks, I'll donate some next time I get paid. Can't wait to see what you have coming.

Also, I'm on build 3 of the cm nightlies.

foxdog

Reaction score
I am downloading it now. I will reply back with what I think of it. I like your reprimed so this one ought to be nice also.

When you say "DO NOT USE OVERCLOCK" do you mean do not use the Milestone overclock 1.4.7?

FIRST

Awesomedropping.....

i think he means 20overclock located in system/tec/init.d/

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

FIRST

Awesomedropping.....

Neither for now, I have to redo the Milestone Overclock app and the values in 20overclock aren't correct yet. No big deal that's next on the list.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Will give it a shot, I had trouble with reprimed at the lower vsels that were chosen and/or compcache so we'll see what this does.

Never really figured out which caused the instability.

EDIT: Ran for a little while, missing texts and load averages going up above desired values while asleep. Compcache disabled. Going back to reprimed with bumped vsels.

Last edited:

3vil

Reaction score
I am just curious... What is the difference between the deprimed and the reprimed kernel? Is the deprimed kernel intrinsically better?

luv2golf

Reaction score
Is prime's kernal compcache enabled?If so, then I am not able to enable it. Rebooted numerous times but with no luck.

Keep getting error "CD: can't CD to/sys/block/zram0"

Also, with compcache enabled, the phone wouldn't go into landscape mode. No problem when it's not.
Everything else functions, ie: WiFi, maps, email, camera, video, apps. Don't have facebook or twitter so can't test.

foxdog

Reaction score
Is prime's kernal compcache enabled?If so, then I am not able to enable it. Rebooted numerous times but with no luck.

Also, with compcache enabled, the phone wouldn't go into landscape mode. No problem when it's not.
Everything else functions, ie: WiFi, maps, email, camera, video, apps. Don't have facebook or twitter so can't test.

Try reinstalling the kernel. prime's kernel does not use zram0, it uses ramzswap0

Kanibull

Reaction score
so far so good havent tried the milestone script or anything but as far as the standard features(compcache, good speed) all seems to be working well.

luv2golf

Reaction score

Try reinstalling the kernel. prime's kernel does not use zram0, it uses ramzswap0

Redownloaded, clear cache, reflashed rebooted and still getting the same error msg