Keep the Nexus or Trade it in for Rezound

captdroid

Reaction score
I personally am a screen guy, i watch and upload a lot of youtube videos and thats where my main focus is. Although the Gnex is enticing simply because it is running the latest software and uses those features greatly (as it should since it is Googles baby) but the screen still isn't the best, however it is quite good compared to the moto screens which suck ass greatly! But i think before i decide to come back to Android i will wait and see what 2012 holds...and what Apple does with iPhone 5 because we all know this is the war and we consumers end up on the the better end regardless. I am however also looking at the Windows Phone 7 devices, not the current ones but the ones coming next year. I think the Nokia Lumina 800 is a great looking device and has Corning Gorilla Glass so you know it pops. Now i know i just opened a whole new can of worms by throwing the WP7 in there but like it or not they are gaining steam and does quite good now with the mango update. All in all, we end up with a lot of great choices and IT ALL COMES DOWN TO PERSONAL PREFERENCE!!!!

Uhg... Windows Phone... yuck... :D No thanks I would rather own an iPhone and that isn't happening anytime soon... if ever! lol

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
I can't believe this thread is still going on.

Kodiak why do you feel the need for us to approve/justify your decision for ditching the Nexus and getting the Rezound?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

sn2hotty

Reaction score
Things I don't like about rzound are senseui

And HTC screens are difficult to see in daylight

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

As far as not liking the Sense UI goes, I agree; I'm not crazy about it either. It's pretty, but not customizable enough. Can't stand that arc at the bottom. But that issue is easily resolved by installing an alternative launcher. I was using Launcher Pro, and now that they've updated ADW EX, that is now my launcher of choice. Super quick, no lag, and very customizable, including the ability to hide (NOT uninstall) the bloatware. Much better than Sense. That being said, I would not let Sense stop you if you like the Rezound otherwise. It is a great phone, and when it gets ICS, it will be just as good as the G-Nex (it actually has better hardware, not including NFC, which doesn't interest me, so it may end up being better than the G-Nex!).

As far as not being able to see the screen in bright daylight, I have no trouble seeing it in bright sunlight. You may just have to leave the brightness on max (or just leave it on auto-brightness), but you should have no problems viewing it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I personally am a screen guy, i watch and upload a lot of youtube videos and thats where my main focus is. Although the Gnex is enticing simply because it is running the latest software and uses those features greatly (as it should since it is Googles baby) but the screen still isn't the best, however it is quite good compared to the moto screens which suck ass greatly! But i think before i decide to come back to Android i will wait and see what 2012 holds...and what Apple does with iPhone 5 because we all know this is the war and we consumers end up on the the better end regardless. I am however also looking at the Windows Phone 7 devices, not the current ones but the ones coming next year. I think the Nokia Lumina 800 is a great looking device and has Corning Gorilla Glass so you know it pops. Now i know i just opened a whole new can of worms by throwing the WP7 in there but like it or not they are gaining steam and does quite good now with the mango update. All in all, we end up with a lot of great choices and IT ALL COMES DOWN TO PERSONAL PREFERENCE!!!!

You're a screen guy and you bought the Bionic?

:icon_eek:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Kodiak why do you feel the need for us to approve/justify your decision for ditching the Nexus and getting the Rezound?

I'm not looking for approval or justification, I'm trying to understand the subtle differences and why I should stick with what is, quite honestly, a marginally inferior device. We had these same debates weeks ago, and the answer was "well, the Nexus is unlocked". Well, that's no longer a selling point. People recognized what the RAZR and Rezound were but, well, you didn't have timely updates or the rom support. Again, not the case (at least not much longer).

In fact, I know I'm not the only one who debated if the unlocked Nexus really had that much value because it's not like the D1 where you're squeezing a phone that just doesn't have the horsepower. I'm not the only one who wondered if I would even be flashing roms, or need or want to. But it came down to EOL being better for the Nexus because it was unlocked.

Here's my issue: The Rezound is better. Period (ok, unless you're in love with the potential of NFC). Yet, my PHONE works, and the speakerphone is fantastic. Battery life is good. Those are, ultimately, MAJOR factors in the choice. Do I want to roll the dice? There's been a few nuggets here and there of good feedback, but most people are barking up the wrong tree of how the Nexus has developer support blah blah blah. Irrelevant now.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well it is a fact that the Nexus will have more developers, it's been proven with the insanely fast adoption that's developed in the first few weeks of it's release.

It's still just your opinion that the Rezound is "better", so that's also moot.

Rezound screen is better, but smaller, processor is faster but older tech, battery life isn't any better than the Nexus' will be once optimized ect...

Your choice is based solely on what you value the most, but there are simple facts that remain true whether you choose to believe them or not.

As long as you're happy with your decision, nothing else said here really matters.

713King

Reaction score
Every Nexus rom will be the same with just tweaks here and there to say it's a new ROM! lol I mean both phones are good, there is no right or wrong with either phone. If you like Nexus that's made by crap samsung than go ahead if you like Rezound with better build quality than go with Rezound for sure. I am definitely picking up the Rezound after checking it out, and not only that but it has been Unlocked already so the Rezound wins this battle of phones! We can see the Rezound running stock ICS in no time and have the same updates GNEX is having.

REZOUND FOR THE WIN!

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Every Nexus rom will be the same with just tweaks here and there to say it's a new ROM! lol I mean both phones are good, there is no right or wrong with either phone. If you like Nexus that's made by crap samsung than go ahead if you like Rezound with better build quality than go with Rezound for sure. I am definitely picking up the Rezound after checking it out, and not only that but it has been Unlocked already so the Rezound wins this battle of phones! We can see the Rezound running stock ICS in no time and have the same updates GNEX is having.

REZOUND FOR THE WIN!

Hmmm...not sure but you seem to have a beef with Samsung....

I can tell you with absolute certainty that the build quality is not lacking on the Nexus. Also, how can you say all the ROMs on the Nexus will be the exact same? Were Froyo ROMs the same? How about GB ROMs? The Nexus has been out around 2 weeks. What exactly are you expecting from these Devs that are playing with a new OS?

Also the Rezound will not receive ICS until sometime next year. And how will ICS work on a device with capacitive buttons? Will it work as well as it does on the Nexus? Will the Rezound have the multi tasking button like the Nexus (maybe they can make holding the home button bring it up idk)?

These are all questions none of us have the answers to. Both phones have pluses and flaws. No current phone between Bionic, Razr, Rezound, or Nexus is head and shoulders above the rest. You simply can't go wrong if you make the best choice for you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kimintenn

Reaction score
As far as not liking the Sense UI goes, I agree; I'm not crazy about it either. It's pretty, but not customizable enough. Can't stand that arc at the bottom. But that issue is easily resolved by installing an alternative launcher. I was using Launcher Pro, and now that they've updated ADW EX, that is now my launcher of choice. Super quick, no lag, and very customizable, including the ability to hide (NOT uninstall) the bloatware.

I've also been considering switching from the gnex to the rezound but I hate sense and don't know how to root. Wouldn't mind learning to do it if you could do it once and be done with it ... is that an option? Do you have to be rooted to install launcher pro? I'd go with the rezound if I could get rid if all the bloatware...

For me its the camera and better signal. I'm afraid to wait out the nexus and always have signal issues.

sn2hotty

Reaction score
I've also been considering switching from the gnex to the rezound but I hate sense and don't know how to root. Wouldn't mind learning to do it if you could do it once and be done with it ... is that an option? Do you have to be rooted to install launcher pro? I'd go with the rezound if I could get rid if all the bloatware...

For me its the camera and better signal. I'm afraid to wait out the nexus and always have signal issues.

No, you don't need root for Launcher Pro or any other launcher. You will just need to set up all your home screens again once it's installed, so just remember how all your screens are arranged. Launcher Pro is great, and so is ADW EX. EX is the paid version; ADW also has a free version, but the EX version seems much better and runs smoother. Launcher Pro is free. But note that LP and ADW won't allow you to DELETE bloatware, only hide it from view. If you want to DELETE it, you will need to root.

As far as rooting goes, you would have to do it once. There are instructions posted on the Rezound Development forum here, in a Sticky at the top of the page (I added links below). First you have to unlock, then root. I have not tried it yet. Word of warning: make sure to read everything first, and follow the instructions VERY carefully. If it is not done correctly, or something goes wrong in the process, you could brick your phone. Also, in case you are unaware, rooting voids your warranty.

Good luck if you get the Rezound. I don't think you will be disappointed.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=190786
[HOW TO] Unlock Rezound's Bootloader [HTCdev.com]

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=190811
[HOW TO] Permanently Root Rezound [Post Bootloader Unlock][Windows] from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Last edited:

Creed

Reaction score
It is a great phone, and when it gets ICS, it will be just as good as the G-Nex (it actually has better hardware, not including NFC, which doesn't interest me, so it may end up being better than the G-Nex!).

This is simply not true. Sense overloads phones and takes the minimalistic approach to Ice Cream Sandwich and will turn it into a CPU intensive OS. In addition, you won't see the differences in Ice Cream Sandwich because they will be hidden under a layer of Sense which would not benefit much from Ice Cream Sandwich.

In fact, I know I'm not the only one who debated if the unlocked Nexus really had that much value because it's not like the D1 where you're squeezing a phone that just doesn't have the horsepower. I'm not the only one who wondered if I would even be flashing roms, or need or want to. But it came down to EOL being better for the Nexus because it was unlocked.
I know a big point being made is the fact that the Nexus and Rezound both can have custom (sense-less) roms but the Developer community for the Rezound is significantly smaller. On day one of unlocked Nexus we had 6 if not more ROMs in addition to many kernals. Within a week we had 4.03 and recently a new radio has been leaked that basically nullifies all of our 'so-called' connectivity issues. This is why we go Nexus. It doesn't have to do with hardware, it has to do with software. If you don't enjoy flashing or changing your OS to tablet mode and all of that, stick to your Rezound.

Here's my issue: The Rezound is better. Period (ok, unless you're in love with the potential of NFC). Yet, my PHONE works, and the speakerphone is fantastic. Battery life is good. Those are, ultimately, MAJOR factors in the choice. Do I want to roll the dice? There's been a few nuggets here and there of good feedback, but most people are barking up the wrong tree of how the Nexus has developer support blah blah blah. Irrelevant now.

Fine, lets ignore the fact that every thing you mentioned is easily fixed and look at stick (btw, the reason the Dev Support matters is because ANY problem we have will be fixed almost immediately so it is not 'barking up the wrong tree.')

Lets look at battery life: the Rezound's is definitively worse than the Nexus. The battery is smaller and the screen is using IPS which is much higher energy than any SAMOLED screen. The Nexus's battery is also larger and is running on a much less power-intensive operating system. The only real problem the Nexus has regarding battery is the CPU awake time bug which is fixed in almost every kernal the Dev's produce and in most 4.03 roms. If you look subjectively at battery life over the coarse of the next 2 years the Nexus wins because it starts with a head in every way except for ICS being new and Sense having more time to work out bugs.

The speaker on the Nexus also is not weak, it is a software problem and if you want to see it for your self open a youtube video and listen to it and then also listen to your ringtone. There is a HUGE difference and it has nothing at all to do with hardware. The hardware of the Nexus is better in every way except the camera. Even the CPU that is clocked higher on the Rezound is actually less good then Nexus's OMAP.

orion2001

Reaction score
The Rezound and GN are both fantastic phones. After months of agonizing and deliberating, I finally got the GN and got my wife the Rezound. We both love our phones, and also like each others phones...although we both agree that the GN suits me more and the Rezound suits my wife more. While Sense does overload the phone a tad bit, my wife really likes some of the customizations and widgets (and I do to). The form factor on the Rezound is perhaps the best of all the new phones. While it may be bulkier, it is really comfortable to hold in your hand, and it has a great camera.

The GN screen, while lacking the pixel density of the Rezound, has phenomenal colors and looks amazing. My wife was eyeing my phone for the first couple of hours as we played with them at home, but once she played more with the rezound, and held both phones in her hands (she really really wanted an OG sized phone) she preferred the Rezound.

I think they are both excellent phones, and you really should go with which one feels the best to you. I have to say that happy Rezound owners have no reason to worry about not having the best possible phone, and the same goes for GN owners. I can't get enough of ICS + AMOLED screen, and all the tinkering that comes with rooting, etc. I'm very pleased to see the Rezound getting unlocked. Hopefully it will also get some love from Devs and have some great ROMs in the future.

It's a bit childish to argue and fight over which phone is better. They can both be better than the other...depending on a person's point of view, and where their personal priorities lie when buying a new phone.

sn2hotty

Reaction score
This is simply not true. Sense overloads phones and takes the minimalistic approach to Ice Cream Sandwich and will turn it into a CPU intensive OS. In addition, you won't see the differences in Ice Cream Sandwich because they will be hidden under a layer of Sense which would not benefit much from Ice Cream Sandwich.

I know a big point being made is the fact that the Nexus and Rezound both can have custom (sense-less) roms but the Developer community for the Rezound is significantly smaller. On day one of unlocked Nexus we had 6 if not more ROMs in addition to many kernals. Within a week we had 4.03 and recently a new radio has been leaked that basically nullifies all of our 'so-called' connectivity issues. This is why we go Nexus. It doesn't have to do with hardware, it has to do with software. If you don't enjoy flashing or changing your OS to tablet mode and all of that, stick to your Rezound.

Fine, lets ignore the fact that every thing you mentioned is easily fixed and look at stick (btw, the reason the Dev Support matters is because ANY problem we have will be fixed almost immediately so it is not 'barking up the wrong tree.')

Lets look at battery life: the Rezound's is definitively worse than the Nexus. The battery is smaller and the screen is using IPS which is much higher energy than any SAMOLED screen. The Nexus's battery is also larger and is running on a much less power-intensive operating system. The only real problem the Nexus has regarding battery is the CPU awake time bug which is fixed in almost every kernal the Dev's produce and in most 4.03 roms. If you look subjectively at battery life over the coarse of the next 2 years the Nexus wins because it starts with a head in every way except for ICS being new and Sense having more time to work out bugs.

The speaker on the Nexus also is not weak, it is a software problem and if you want to see it for your self open a youtube video and listen to it and then also listen to your ringtone. There is a HUGE difference and it has nothing at all to do with hardware. The hardware of the Nexus is better in every way except the camera. Even the CPU that is clocked higher on the Rezound is actually less good then Nexus's OMAP.

OK, so maybe I went a little overboard by saying that perhaps the Rezound may end up being better than the G-Nex when it receives ICS, but I still think it will be just as good. Then again, you could be right, but NO ONE knows yet. I'm not trying to be a PITA here, but I don't see how you can say that this is "simply not true", when no one, including you, has even SEEN any interaction of Sense with Ice Cream Sandwich. As far as how Sense will interact with ICS, only time will tell, so all any of us can say right now, is we shall see.

I have read reviews for the Rezound that agree with you regarding Sense being CPU intensive, and causing some lag--I can say from experience that I have not seen it. However, I only used Sense (launcher) for about two weeks with GB (2.3.4), and it did not seem to overload my phone at all, and I never experienced any lag whatsoever. Even with whatever Sense may be running in the background now, I don't see any indication of overload or lag. I switched to ADW because Sense offers virtually NO customization, and I didn't like the menu bar at the bottom (I prefer shortcuts I can customize). I know Quadrant is not everything, but I was curious as to how it would do, and I was consistently getting scores in the high 2,400's to mid 2,500 range.

Let me just end by saying that I'm not trying to take anything away from the G-Nex, it IS a great phone; one of the best out there now. In fact, I was going to get it myself before I got impatient waiting for it, and I decided to look into the Rezound, then after looking at the specs *I* found very impressive, I went to the Verizon store to try it out, and I was even more impressed, so I pulled the trigger. No regrets at all, except that I was disappointed in the locked bootloader (which I had not look into before buying it! LOL), but that point is moot now. I see your point in the developer community for the G-Nex being MUCH larger that for the Rezound (which right now is pretty much non-existent!), but I'm hoping that will change. We shall see.

Enjoy your phone, and I will enjoy mine! LOL

Last edited:

combatmedic870

Reaction score
OK, so maybe I went a little overboard by saying that perhaps the Rezound may end up being better than the G-Nex when it receives ICS, but I still think it will be just as good. Then again, you could be right, but NO ONE knows yet. I'm not trying to be a PITA here, but I don't see how you can say that this is "simply not true", when no one, including you, has even SEEN any interaction of Sense with Ice Cream Sandwich. As far as how Sense will interact with ICS, only time will tell, so all any of us can say right now, is we shall see.

I have read reviews for the Rezound that agree with you regarding Sense being CPU intensive, and causing some lag--I can say from experience that I have not seen it. However, I only used Sense (launcher) for about two weeks with GB (2.3.4), and it did not seem to overload my phone at all, and I never experienced any lag whatsoever. Even with whatever Sense may be running in the background now, I don't see any indication of overload or lag. I switched to ADW because Sense offers virtually NO customization, and I didn't like the menu bar at the bottom (I prefer shortcuts I can customize). I know Quadrant is not everything, but I was curious as to how it would do, and I was consistently getting scores in the high 2,400's to mid 2,500 range.

Let me just end by saying that I'm not trying to take anything away from the G-Nex, it IS a great phone; one of the best out there now. In fact, I was going to get it myself before I got impatient waiting for it, and I decided to look into the Rezound, then after looking at the specs *I* found very impressive, I went to the Verizon store to try it out, and I was even more impressed, so I pulled the trigger. No regrets at all, except that I was disappointed in the locked bootloader (which I had not look into before buying it! LOL), but that point is moot now. I see your point in the developer community for the G-Nex being MUCH larger that for the Rezound (which right now is pretty much non-existent!), but I'm hoping that will change. We shall see.

Enjoy your phone, and I will enjoy mine! LOL

You can unlock the Rezound now. I have been considering going back to the Rezound. It was a great phone. I always had great service. PLUS I'm missing sense a little bit....also missing the great camera. Speed isn't an issue with either phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk