keep razr or trade in for nexus??

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I've personally never had problems with my connection. In fact i think my connection got better after the last outage. Though it is a known problem a fix is in the way. Hopefully we'll seen it within the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

GoBears

Reaction score
Well I can tell you this. I have both and my Razr just sits on my desk. With 4.0.3 update the signal on the nex is just as good as the razor plus it never drops data.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mark7568

Reaction score
How did u get the 4.0.3 version? Gobears

bacchanal

Reaction score
I purchased the nexus, and ended up returning it for the razr. There are so many useful apps razr comes stock with, and so many the nexus doesn't even support yet... razr comes with motocast, quickoffice pro, and several others. My nexus couldn't even support the Verizon data widget! IMO it's a much more polished phone, and especially for a first time smart phone user I would recommend keeping the one you have.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I purchased the nexus, and ended up returning it for the razr. There are so many useful apps razr comes stock with, and so many the nexus doesn't even support yet... razr comes with motocast, quickoffice pro, and several others. My nexus couldn't even support the Verizon data widget! IMO it's a much more polished phone, and especially for a first time smart phone user I would recommend keeping the one you have.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

you know I agree with you on 2 parts here.....there are in fact things in Blur that I miss from my Razr. I also agree that the Nexus is NOT for newb's (no offense intended).

But I can not honestly say that either is better than the either ATM. They both have their perks....but the perks with the nexus reach a bit deeper.

GoBears

Reaction score
How did u get the 4.0.3 version? Gobears

Axiom is built off of 4.0.3 and it runs awesome. Th3ory really did a fantastic job.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I got the razr for christmas. It is my first smart phone and i like it. Not much too complain about besides the battery, but i know that is expected with 4G. Didn't know much about the galaxy nexus when I get the razr, but it seems like that is the phone to get. I feel like the only reason i haven't traded in for the nexus is because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". but idk...seems like the nexus will be the better phone 1-2 years from now. I have untill jan 15th to decide and would appreciate any input between the two.

Keep the RAZR. It seems like everybody that switches from another phone to the Nexus just complains about it for one reason or another. :p

But seriously, if you like the RAZR, keep it. I was deciding between the Moto RAZR, the HTC Rezound and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and I really liked all of them.

I liked the RAZR the best from a hardware standpoint. After seeing just how much abuse my Motorola Droid was able to take in 2 years, I would have loved another Motorola. But word got out that the bootloader was locked. I was pretty sure it would still get rooted, but I didn't want to support a company that didn't listen to what their customers wanted. I've seen how active the community is for unlocked phones vs locked phones, and it's really the community that makes the phone, especially if you're into hacking around. If you are, you want a phone that is condusive to hacking, and you want a phone that is popular. (It seems that the first one kind of causes the second one). The Motorola Droid forum was explosive right from the start and still is. Motorola Droid X, on the other hand, is lagging behind. It was a long time before a hackish workaround to get custom software to install was worked out, and it's still iffy IMO. A good phone from a hardware standpoint, but it's being held back by Motorola.

The HTC Rezound looked pretty good. HTC was making a name for itself by allowing bootloader unlocks, and I liked the phone on principle. I wanted to wait for Samsung before making a decision. If they delayed it much more, I would have gotten the HTC.

I have two Samsung TVs, and I really like them. A few months back, Samsung made news by donating a couple of their phones to the CyanogenMod community to help them develop. This was a HUGE PR MOVE for them. I saw that and thought "now here's a company I can get behind". I was crossing my fingers and hoping that I would like it when it came out. I did.

So the Nexus came out and I weighed the options. The reviews originally said Non-Removable battery. As it turns out, the back of the case comes off just as easily as any battery door, and the battery is definitely removable - and they had a very inexpensive extended battery available at launch. The reviews mentioned a lack of SD card slot. I was a little bummed, but after reading some comments from a Googler that had insider details on the decision, I was sold. Having 32GB of storage used for both /data and "external" storage was a major plus. Other phones only supported 32GB cards anyway. MTP is still not too well supported, but conceptually it makes a lot more sense than USB Mass Storage, as you don't need to disconnect the phone from the storage to read/write. As it turns out, The Galaxy Nexus supports USB OTG out of the box, so you can get a $5 cable and plug in any SD card, Thumb Drive, or USB Hard Drive you want. I think that is better than an internal SD card!

I was worried the screen would be too big. It is too big, but I'm getting used to it. Quickly. A day or so after getting the GNex, I turned on my old Droid and laughed at how comically small the screen felt.

Having an unlocked bootloader means you will always have root access if you want it. There's not some root exploit that might get closed up later. 1 year down the road when the manufacturer and carrier decide not to support the phone anymore, you aren't S.O.L. So long as the community is still there, you will always have options for updating software to the latest and greatest. Also, having a "Nexus" phone means that updates will come faster than they do for other phones anyway.

Reaction score
No way id return my GN and downgrade to a razr. After my bionic experience i wont buy another moto phone.

BigDaddyNYY

Reaction score
Coming from the Droid X, I was really leaning towards the Razr as I had a good experience with the X, and liked the solid form of the Razr. However, I also realized that I only had the X for a little more than a year (15 Months) and I felt like the phone was dead as Motorola was no longer offering software updates. Don't get me wrong, the rooting/rom community was great, but as least with the Galaxy Nexus I am hoping that Samsung and Google will still be supporting the phone through my 2 year contract.

MrKleen

Reaction score
IMO if you got Razr you might as well hang on to it....it'll get ICS eventually and aside from the screen resolution you are not losing out too much aside from the stock Google experience. If you root and ROM, there is even less reason to switch for switching sake...

I may have misunderstood what you meant by this. But if you said stick with the Razr if he roots or roms I don't agree with the advice. The Razr has a locked bootloader which seriously limits what roms can do.

If rooting and roms are something he wants to do I would go with the Nexus hands down. It is the easiest phone to work with as far as unlocking and installing roms. There will also be a far larger group of developers working with the Nexus vs. the Razr.

Now if this is not important to you then only he can decide which phone he prefers. I am sure they are both very nice. But if he will ever be interested in rooting and roms over the next 2 years I would give the Nexus some serious consideration.

jbmb

Reaction score
I had the same problem I bought the razr the same day the nexus came out, and I loved the razr although it did feel a little awkward while holding it but other than that it was a great phone but it just felt like every other smartphone I've had, I have never rooted a phone but thought I might like to some day so needless to say I took the razr back and got me a nexus and it was the best choice I've ever made, the nexus looks awesome and it just feels right lol (my wife thinks I have a problem because I'm always telling her how much I love my phone lol) and I haven't experienced any of the problems I read about the nexus, it really just boils down to what you want and need, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the nexus at all it is great in every way.... good luck with your decision