Keep the Nexus or Trade it in for Rezound

JohnnyDroid

Reaction score
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I have to admit, I can't find any flaws in your reasoning. Every point you make seems to be well thought out and maybe even insightful. Maybe you should just add up the advantages of the Nexus as you list them and the advantages of the Rezound as you list them and make your choice that way.

If nothing else, your post was a good read over my morning coffee.

1quickv6

Reaction score
I have to admit, I can't find any flaws in your reasoning. Every point you make seems to be well thought out and maybe even insightful. Maybe you should just add up the advantages of the Nexus as you list them and the advantages of the Rezound as you list them and make your choice that way.

If nothing else, your post was a good read over my morning coffee.

BWAHAHAHAAH I love this guy!! :)

But seriuously, Now that the Rezound is unlocked and has root, I'm starting to see the appeal of the device. My wife has one and the reception is sooooo much better than my Nexus. Don't we still have until the 12th to return any purchases made in the VZ store and only pay the $35restocking fee?

I'm still hopefull that the software will be updated and the Nexus will improve. I'm getting ready to flash the Gummy 4.0.3 ROM and the new basebands. Hopefully that will make an improvement.

But the Rezound really is a nice phone. I actually like the new Sense UI too.

COME ON SAMSUNG!! DancingNexus

OP
juggjiggler69

juggjiggler69

Reaction score
I just wish i knew how to do all that other stuff with phones like flashing,rooting ect.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
I just wish i knew how to do all that other stuff with phones like flashing,rooting ect.

It's really quite simple. The instructions out there are easiest enough for anyone to do it. And the GNex has so much support so if you make a mistake someone will always be able to help you pretty quickly.

As for the rezound, not sure how big their dev community is. I know it took a hit because of the Nexus and the locked boot loader, but maybe that will change now.

1quickv6

Reaction score
not sure how big their dev community is. I know it took a hit because of the Nexus and the locked boot loader, but maybe that will change now.

And that really is what it's all about. If the Dev support doesn't take off now, there is no point to switching for people like me who love to tinker with their devices.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
And that really is what it's all about. If the Dev support doesn't take off now, there is no point to switching for people like me who love to tinker with their devices.

Yeah this is my #1 priority as well. I feel like the only advantage the rezound has is the better radio. My signal on the GNex isn't perfect, but its not a big enough issue for me to downgrade in pretty much all other aspects by getting the Rezound.

1quickv6

Reaction score
I think the camera is a little better too. My wife's pics look amazing compared to mine. It is that noticeable. But then again, a software fix may come down the pipe. Her 2 LEDs for the flash are also a plus.

I'm not sure if having a swappable SD card is a plus or not as I never removed my SD card from my D1 and I feel the 32 GB onboard is sufficiant for my needs. After all the wipes and flashing I've done, I've never lost any of my media files.

I really like the feel of her phone with the extended battery too. And her screen is amazing.

But, I could never leave ICS. GB is a HUGE downgrade in my opinion.

I love my Nexus and I have high hopes for it.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
I think the camera is a little better too. My wife's pics look amazing compared to mine. It is that noticeable. But then again, a software fix may come down the pipe. Her 2 LEDs for the flash are also a plus.

I'm not sure if having a swappable SD card is a plus or not as I never removed my SD card from my D1 and I feel the 32 GB onboard is sufficiant for my needs. After all the wipes and flashing I've done, I've never lost any of my media files.

I really like the feel of her phone with the extended battery too. And her screen is amazing.

But, I could never leave ICS. GB is a HUGE downgrade in my opinion.

I love my Nexus and I have high hopes for it.

I feel ICS isn't all that amazing. Sure it has some cool features, but when it comes down to it, its still android. And the Rezound will have ICS so I wouldn't use the software as your determining factor on which phone suits you best. Sounds to me like you like the Rezound better.

I wasn't able to compare them side by side, maybe I will try and do that. But NFC, bigger screen, and best dev community will most likely have me keeping the GNex

orion2001

Reaction score
I've held off on getting the GN so far and at this point I am seriously considering the Rezound if dev support for it picks up. I like the feel of the phone a lot better, the camera is really good, and the screen is absolutely gorgeous and crystal clear. The only thing apart from dev support that would hold me back is the fact that I love the larger screen on the GN with all software menu keys. I might just have to wait and see what the next round of ICS phones look like.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Things I don't like about rzound are senseui

And HTC screens are difficult to see in daylight

orion2001

Reaction score
Things I don't like about rzound are senseui

And HTC screens are difficult to see in daylight

But isn't that moot since it has been unlocked and Custom ROMS are around the corner? Hardware wise it is a fantastic phone. Screen is a personal thing. LCD screens are typically not as nice as AMOLED in sunlight, but for me, the 340ppi screen just blows away all the competition and makes browsing/reading on the Rezound a real pleasure. If I do buy it, I won't be buying it till a good custom ROM has been released without any Sense UI or other bloatware.

Last edited:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
But isn't that moot since it has been unlocked and Custom ROMS are around the corner? Hardware wise it is a fantastic phone. Screen is a personal thing. LCD screens are typically not as nice as AMOLED in sunlight, but for me, the 340ppi screen just blows away all the competition and makes browsing/reading on the Rezound a real pleasure. If I do buy it, I won't be buying it till a good custom ROM has been released without any Sense UI or other bloatware.

not really moot considering most devs have a nex and not a rezound. Nit saying there won't be any great dev work on it...just...not for a little bit anyway.

The ppi difference between rezound and nex is not really big enough to brag. I do like the display on the rezound... but sucks you can really only see it well indoors.

Both decent phones...no doubt about it...I've just owned HTC phones for a while and really got tired of them. So it really just boils down to what the user wants. I don't see ics running well on the rezound until an official one comes out...which could be a good wait since HTC has to make "sense" if it. And if I wanted aosp on the rezound I'd have to wait for cm to do it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread. I really have to think about this, and put the Rezound thru its paces in the store. As far as I can tell, the Rezound is equal or better than the GNex in every category, and that extra storage matters to some people (maybe you like to take some video, which means that much more space you have to keep free on the Nexus).

Much of the hype and appeal surrounding the GNex can be attributed to ICS, which the Rezound will have soon enough. Point taken about the developer support, but all I really look for in roms is over/underclocking and the latest Android version. Now that it's rooted, it's developer community will grow, especially if the user base is there. Probably won't rival the GNex, but I think the key question you have to ask yourself is how many of these features and tweaks in roms do you really need and use? There is some bias, I think, from limping along with the OG Droid and needing every hack imaginable to squeeze every last bit of functionality out.

The two things that give me pause are the fixed capactive buttons (which, to be honest, I have issue with the software buttons on the GNex) and that the GNex speakerphone appears to be excellent - by far the best I've ever had on a mobile phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So you're not into rooting/ROMing, how does that change your experience with the phone? Yes this phone is aimed towards that crowd, but in stock form it's still a great phone. I mean I'm running a ROM (ARHD) that is pretty much stock and I feel I am getting alot from my phone. A stock Android phone isn't for everyone and I am a fan of HTC Sense so I can see why you want the Rezound. With ICS coming to the Rezound that may even be more reason for you to switch and you'll have a solid working GB to use now and when ICS hits other devices it should be more polished.