Keep the Nexus or Trade it in for Rezound

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
To me this is a bit of a premature argument as the Rezound isn't even updated to the latest OS.

That's the million-dollar question - what, if any, compatibility issues with Rezound hardware will make ICS a less smooth experience vs. the Nexus? Wait and see, but it's also a total shot in the dark as to which phone will perform better on the next Android version.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with ICS and it's a fairly polished/finished product. Down the road, something like controlling a home security system, media, etc. - some of which is already out there - might matter, and that's where NFC could be worth something. Although I'd more than likely be looking at 2nd-gen there for peace of mind (no disrespect to the Nexus and its NFC).

captdroid

Reaction score
I didn't dodge any of the questions. You said what guarantees do I have it will get CM? My response is looking at past history and using common sense, virtually 100% guaranteed.

The Rezound will have developer support (umm, the fact that it's been unlocked already confirms that), certainly not as deep or robust as the Nexus, but the marginal value with regard to the Nexus is rather dubious. More choice of the same. Not real beneficial. This entire argument in support of the Nexus pretty much bit the dust 24 hours ago when Rezound got unlocked. Fact.

:D Not really at all... the Gnex is an official Nexus phone supported by Google. So inevitably will receive the best developer support if that is one of your concerns. As for CM I'm not sure at this point I even want to run CM on my Gnex. Perhaps in the future perhaps not.

captdroid

Reaction score
That's the million-dollar question - what, if any, compatibility issues with Rezound hardware will make ICS a less smooth experience vs. the Nexus? Wait and see, but it's also a total shot in the dark as to which phone will perform better on the next Android version.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with ICS and it's a fairly polished/finished product. Down the road, something like controlling a home security system, media, etc. - some of which is already out there - might matter, and that's where NFC could be worth something. Although I'd more than likely be looking at 2nd-gen there for peace of mind (no disrespect to the Nexus and its NFC).

Nope not a shot in the dark when it comes to a Nexus phone concerning future updates. Nexus phones are Googles baby and you can bet they will receive support if at all possible to run the next OS officially! :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Nope not a shot in the dark when it comes to a Nexus phone concerning future updates. Nexus phones are Googles baby and you can bet they will receive support if at all possible to run the next OS officially! :)

Not the point made. The point was how well will the Nexus play with the next major version of Android, which likely will launch with a new Nexus phone. Claiming otherwise would be like claiming the original Nexus 1 worked better than other phones after it with subsequent Android updates.

And the future updates is a non-issue, if you root/flash the Rezound. Again, valid point for people who won't do that, but it will be a matter of just a few days wait for people flashing roms on the Rezound. I haven't cared about official updates since about a month after getting my D1 when I rooted it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So inevitably will receive the best developer support if that is one of your concerns.

I would change "best" to "most" and qualify it that it doesn't mean "better". Again, all these posts I'm reading are completely ignoring that the Rezound has been unlocked. You're making arguments that bit the dust 24 hours ago.

captdroid

Reaction score
Not the point made. The point was how well will the Nexus play with the next major version of Android, which likely will launch with a new Nexus phone. Claiming otherwise would be like claiming the original Nexus 1 worked better than other phones after it with subsequent Android updates.

And the future updates is a non-issue, if you root/flash the Rezound. Again, valid point for people who won't do that, but it will be a matter of just a few days wait for people flashing roms on the Rezound. I haven't cared about official updates since about a month after getting my D1 when I rooted it.

Well of course always new hardware at a rapid pace :) Thing is that I don't want to run a buggy custom ROM for the sake of running a custom ROM. Maybe the custom ROM runs good maybe not. Google Nexus phones supported directly by Google will without a doubt run well.

captdroid

Reaction score
I would change "best" to "most" and qualify it that it doesn't mean "better". Again, all these posts I'm reading are completely ignoring that the Rezound has been unlocked. You're making arguments that bit the dust 24 hours ago.

Nope I meant to say what I said. BEST :) Not ignoring anything. Think I spelled out my reasoning pretty clearly concerning this issue.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
After seeing literally 5+ associates of mine with shattered HTC screens, I have forbidden myself to even touch one, much less purchase one to use for 2 years. Not a big fan of sense either in case I plan on going back to stock. Stock android is what I prefer to such an extent that I have strongly considered not even loading custom roms onto my Nexus (we'll see how long it lasts though :biggrin:). That, in my opinion, is what sets the Nexus above the others. Stock android OTA updates from GOOGLE, and the choice to have the most amount of Developer support available for any of Verizon's phones. It's win-win in my opinion.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well of course always new hardware at a rapid pace :) Thing is that I don't want to run a buggy custom ROM for the sake of running a custom ROM. Maybe the custom ROM runs good maybe not. Google Nexus phones supported directly by Google will without a doubt run well.

That's a good point, at least until the next major version of Android and then all bets are off (let's face it - the D1 was as much a baby as any Nexus device, and hardly anyone went back to stock after 2.0).

Really the key point is how ICS will work on the Rezound, stock or rom. Personally I find the software buttons on the Nexus to be a bit of a fail, and find them frustrating at times. Maybe Google or a rom will fix this, the latter certainly but for now I am leaning toward the capacitative buttons.

I'm just not seeing the concerns others have with updates/roms. Yeah, I struggled with the D1 like everyone but the root cause was lack of ram and processing power. Maybe I'm off-base, but I think these new phones have the hardware rendering that a non-issue.

captdroid

Reaction score
That's a good point, at least until the next major version of Android and then all bets are off (let's face it - the D1 was as much a baby as any Nexus device, and hardly anyone went back to stock after 2.0).

Really the key point is how ICS will work on the Rezound, stock or rom. Personally I find the software buttons on the Nexus to be a bit of a fail, and find them frustrating at times. Maybe Google or a rom will fix this, the latter certainly but for now I am leaning toward the capacitative buttons.

I'm just not seeing the concerns others have with updates/roms. Yeah, I struggled with the D1 like everyone but the root cause was lack of ram and processing power. Maybe I'm off-base, but I think these new phones have the hardware rendering that a non-issue.

No the D1 was not one of Google's babies. It was one of our babies but not Googles :) And I often found myself needing yet the latest fix from a ROM developer.

Well you might as well get used to onscreen buttons because that is the future. The future is now :) I prefer the onscreen buttons finding them much easier to use.

No concern here regarding OS support. I have a Nexus :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

I feel the same way about ICS. Other versions of android seemed to be missing something or it seemed to have taken too many steps to get to where you want. With ICS they've eliminated what felt like a prototype and polished it up. It's stock android, but at the same time it's more user friendly, which I definitely enjoy. It shows that Google is paying more attention to the user experience and making it easier for almost about anyone to pick up. We'll have to wait and see how Sense and Blur fall into place with ICS, but for now, stock ICS is something that really doesn't need alot of tweaking compared to older versions of Android, imo at least.

NFC may or may not catch on, for me it hasn't yet. I personally don't feel safe leaving my credit card information on my phone regardless of my PIN or whatever I have protecting it. It's like if I somehow lose my phone I lose my wallet too, if you get what I'm saying. Now I never lost my phone or wallet before but they're accidents after all. Rather lose both on separate occasions than both on one:p

Last edited:

captdroid

Reaction score
I feel the same way about ICS. Other versions of android seemed to be missing something or it seemed to have taken too many steps to get to where you want. With ICS they've eliminated what felt like a prototype and polished it up. It's stock android, but at the same time it's more user friendly, which I definitely enjoy. It shows that Google is paying more attention to the user experience and making it easier for almost about anyone to pick up. We'll have to wait and see how Sense and Blur fall into place with ICS, but for now, stock ICS is something that really doesn't need alot of tweaking compared to older versions of Android, imo at least.

NFC may or may not catch on, for me it hasn't yet. I personally don't feel safe leaving my credit card information on my phone regardless of my PIN or whatever I have protecting it. It's like if I somehow lose my phone I lose my wallet too, if you get what I'm saying. Now I never lost my phone or wallet before but they're accidents after all. Rather lose both on separate occasions than both on one:p

Yup I would agree stock Android is better all the time. Google did leave out a couple things in ICS thus far that I really like in previous custom ROMS I ran on my D1.

1. The notification bar button widgets (power widgets?) Whatever you want to call them CM had them and I have them back by simply using Widgetsoid from the market :)

2. Comprehensive LED notification control. Lightflow from the market comes to the rescue. :)

3. Easily accessible EQ / volume control. Volume+ from the market comes to the rescue :)

4. Oh and the car home app... CarHome Ultra from the market comes to the rescue. Doesn't start automatically using the current Verizon car dock but it is way better then the car home I had running on my D1.

There are probably others I can't think of right at this moment. But suffice it to say I am not missing CM or other custom ROM functionality I had on my D1 :D

Last edited:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yup I would agree stock Android is better all the time. Google did leave out a couple things in ICS thus far that I really like in previous custom ROMS I ran on my D1.

1. The notification bar button widgets (power widgets?) Whatever you want to call them CM had them and I have them back by simply using Widgetsoid from the market :)

2. Comprehensive LED notification control. Lightflow from the market comes to the rescue. :)

3. Easily accessible EQ / volume control. Volume+ from the market comes to the rescue :)

4. Oh and the car home app... CarHome Ultra from the market comes to the rescue. Doesn't start automatically using the current Verizon car dock but it is way better then the car home I had running on my D1.

There are probably others I can't think of right at this moment. But suffice it to say I am not missing CM or other custom ROM functionality I had on my D1 :D

Axiom has power Widgets in notification bar

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

captdroid

Reaction score
Axiom has power Widgets in notification bar

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Link? Quick search don't see in the market. Maybe I check it out. Widgetsoid working quite well so far though.

Edit: Oh... Axiom a custom ROM... lol... not interested in running a custom ROM right now :)

Last edited:

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
I personally am a screen guy, i watch and upload a lot of youtube videos and thats where my main focus is. Although the Gnex is enticing simply because it is running the latest software and uses those features greatly (as it should since it is Googles baby) but the screen still isn't the best, however it is quite good compared to the moto screens which suck ass greatly! But i think before i decide to come back to Android i will wait and see what 2012 holds...and what Apple does with iPhone 5 because we all know this is the war and we consumers end up on the the better end regardless. I am however also looking at the Windows Phone 7 devices, not the current ones but the ones coming next year. I think the Nokia Lumina 800 is a great looking device and has Corning Gorilla Glass so you know it pops. Now i know i just opened a whole new can of worms by throwing the WP7 in there but like it or not they are gaining steam and does quite good now with the mango update. All in all, we end up with a lot of great choices and IT ALL COMES DOWN TO PERSONAL PREFERENCE!!!!