Just do it!!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Earlier today I was reading an article by "The Ringer" on MKHB, and Maques was talking about how he cringe when he look back at his first video he ever made. I'm sure part of him would love to go back in time to fix those mistakes but the reality is those mistakes helped him grow to where he is at now. I read that he makes nearly 500,000 in ad revenue. Now I am not sure how accurate that really is but if he is even making only 10% of that I commend him.
The reality is we all fear that moment of making something "cringe-worthy". No one wants to be mocked or ridiculed. We are living now where we are afraid to fall. As a kid I remember the scrapes and falls from riding my bike and now kids are in full body armor. I am not saying to avoid protection I am saying that in order to grow people can not be afraid of the fall.
Sadly we live in a day where people love to mock the person for falling, especially on social media. It's easy to bash someone from behind the keyboard vs trying to see if they can improve on what someone is doing. Some do it out of lack of self-esteem, others do it to show their ignorance. Yes a person can respectfully disagree but the issue most of the time is the "respectful" part.
Still you can not hold back out of fear of people or fear of mistakes. If you think you have something try it. You think you may have some art you may want to share, share it. We have to get our mind out of this idea that if everyone does not like it then it is no good. Take the critiques that are helpful and learn from them and ignore those that are meant to tear down. But whatever you do, just do it.

Source: The Kid Who Revolutionized YouTube’s Tech Reviews — The Ringer

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Great post @pc747! (on many different levels)
I grew up in a time where seatbelts weren't required and there weren't "warning labels" on everything. We didn't wear helmets while riding our bikes and most parents didn't coddle their children the way so many parents do today. Sure we probably got more bumps and bruises, but it was all part of the learning process.

As for the "just do it" part, I'm actually in the middle of doing something myself.
Having recently been laid off after 19 years with the same company, I've decided to start my own aerial photography business using drones. Sure I've been laughed at, but if people knew exactly how much money that can be made in this industry, they'd change their tune. It's a rapidly expanding market with which I'm getting in on the ground floor. I'm starting from scratch, from teaching myself how to fly UAV's to editing the footage, applying for an LLC, creating my own logo, building my own website and everything in between. I'll be taking a test (required by the FAA) at the end of the month, which will certify me to legally fly drones commercially, "for profit".
It's a big undertaking, but it's something that I'm 100% committed to. I've spent countless hours researching the pros & cons of the business and have reached out to numerous aerial photography businesses who are already established in the industry, in order to gather more information. Most of the folks I've corresponded with over the past few months have been more than happy to help by offering advice and answering whatever questions I've had.
I've got a lot riding on this, but knowing that I'm 100% in charge of my own destiny/success, makes me want to put that much more time and effort into it.

S5 tap'n

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I grew up in a time where seatbelts weren't required and there weren't "warning labels" on everything. We didn't wear helmets while riding our bikes and most parents didn't coddle their children the way so many parents do today. Sure we probably got more bumps and bruises, but it was all part of the learning process.

As for the "just do it" part, I'm actually in the middle of doing something myself.
Having recently been laid off after 19 years with the same company, I've decided to start my own aerial photography business using drones. Sure I've been laughed at, but if people knew exactly how much money that can be made in this industry, they'd change their tune. It's a rapidly expanding market with which I'm getting in on the ground floor. I'm starting from scratch, from teaching myself how to fly UAV's to editing the footage, applying for an LLC, creating my own logo, building my own website and everything in between. I'll be taking a test (required by the FAA) at the end of the month, which will certify me to legally fly drones commercially, "for profit".
It's a big undertaking, but it's something that I'm 100% committed to. I've spent countless hours researching the pros & cons of the business and have reached out to numerous aerial photography businesses who are already established in the industry, in order to gather more information. Most of the folks I've corresponded with over the past few months have been more than happy to help by offering advice and answering whatever questions I've had.
I've got a lot riding on this, but knowing that I'm 100% in charge of my own destiny/success, makes me want to put that much more time and effort into it.

S5 tap'n
This post alone is full of gold. We spend years grinding hard for the companies we work for. Some of us losing time with family to help out the company. And at the end of the day said company owes you nothing. All your time in is gone because at the new company you are a newbie with 0 vacation, 0 time invested. Continue to work hard at your job. But also work hard for you. Live below your means, save and invest, get out if debt, and own a paid for home. But also start looking in doing business for yourself. Whether it be making widgets, cookies, jerky, or art, get out and do. Now starting off get the minimum equipment you can until your company can afford to support future equipment. Most importantly, do it now where you have the cushion of your job to brace for the fall.

@cr6 I look forward to be able to view your portfolio in the future, even if it means paying for view.

Same is said for any of you out on the forums. In fact I'll see about a section where we have a place to share our talents.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
@cr6 I know you will succeed and best of luck in your new endeavor...hard work and commitment I know you have will help ya tremendously

iPAD 9.7

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

S5 tap'n
If your area isn't oversaturated like mine, go for it. I have twenty companies that come up as drone services in Cleveland. Drones are at all my races. I see them everywhere. I wish I could have gotten into them sooner.

Reactions: cr6

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nice post @pc747. Sorry to hear about your layoff @cr6. Good luck on the new endeavor. Hope it works out great for you!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
@cr6 I know you will succeed and best of luck in your new endeavor...hard work and commitment I know you have will help ya tremendously

iPAD 9.7
Thanks bud, I really appreciate it!
If your area isn't oversaturated like mine, go for it. I have twenty companies that come up as drone services in Cleveland. Drones are at all my races. I see them everywhere. I wish I could have gotten into them sooner.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I've tried to keep quiet about my plans to start this business. Once the FAA's new "CFR part 107" ruling goes into effect Aug 29th, it will enable anyone with a small UAV under 55 lbs, to fly commercially. So the market is about to get flooded with drone pilots and hobbyists looking to cash in. Before, you had to jump through some major hoops, and file for a class 333 Exemption (which could take up to a year to receive) in order to legally fly for profit.
There's only one guy in my town doing it, (at least from what I've found) and he just started, even though he claims he's been doing it since 2011. Others are on the other side of the state, or in neighboring states, who advertise that they'll travel to my neck of the woods. So yeah, I've tried to keep it quiet and resist the urge to tell friends or family locally what I'm doing.
But you never know, there could be a dozen others just like me, doing the exact same thing, and we'll all "go live" around the same time. LOL

S5 tap'n

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Well when you get swamped, call me, I'll come fly you with. -(shameless topgun plug)