JuiceDefender/UltimateJuice Save your battery life by upto 2X!

nphil

Reaction score
So, I've had this app for a while now, so I thought I would reserve my judgement until I've had enough time to test it. Well, it WORKS! JuiceDefender is free on the marketplace and it has the following options:

1. Disable 3G APN/WiFi/MMS when the screen's off (This is what helps the most)
2. Disable 3G APN/WiFi/MMS when battery is low.
3. Disable WiFi when far away from known WiFi networks.
4. Enable 3G apn/WiFi for 1/2/3/5/8 mins every 5m/15m/30m/1hr/2h (Very useful if you want to download e-mails and sync when the screen is off)
5. Night schedule - turn off everything, basically airplane mode, when you sleep. Also has an option to silence.

There's also an option to place a widget on your homescreen with options to quickly disable, and enable the app and also shows an estimate of how much battery life the app saved for you.

While JuiceDefender is free, UltimateJuice is not. The only difference that I noticed between the two was that UltimateJuice had the option to turn off WiFi too, while JD was limited to 3G APN and MMS. I believe the app costs around $2.99, and the dev is VERY responsive to suggestions and issues, so if you like JD buy UltimateJuice to support the dev!

Pics:
CAP2010022814181.jpg
CAP201002281418.jpg

Note that it says x1.04 on my widget because I had just reflashed a new ROM!
More info here: Latedroid

PS: I'm in no way affiliated to the dev, just an extremely satisfied user!

Last edited:

sportadic22

Reaction score
sounds really interesting... sounds like a possible good app.. anyone else tried it. I like multiple answers and reviews before i try it :pppp

naman919

Reaction score
I've had this app for a week or two now and I'm not really all that impressed.

While at first it seemed like it would really double up the battery, for the long run it doesn't appear that it is worth it.

The widget says almost x2 the battery, but i still get about 12-13 hours on average.

I don't see much difference. I set it for the midrange presets and had high hopes.

it has tremendous reviews but personally, i don't see much difference. YMMV. :blink:

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
so wait, options 1-5 only available with the paid version (since they all involve wifi)? i'm confused about the difference... do you mean the paid version has a separate wifi toggle, like in beautiful widgets?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
just got a good look at the screenshots.. nevermind ;) going to download now!

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just downloaded this app and all you can do is the 3G. No wifi or night settings with the free version.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's actually a similar app built into the Droid. And even better, it extends battery power almost indefinitely. Here's how it works.

() Long press on the power button.

() Select "Power Off" from the picklist.

hinky

Reaction score
This will help if you like to keep all the options on all the time. I always keep Wifi off and go into airplane mode when traveling out of range. Still a good idea for those that need it.

My personal preference will unfortunately only work with a rooted droid. Those power options should have been built into the OS or allowed to be used by an app. Ridiculous since the Droid battery is extremely poor.

naman919

Reaction score
There's actually a similar app built into the Droid. And even better, it extends battery power almost indefinitely. Here's how it works.

() Long press on the power button.

() Select "Power Off" from the picklist.

:dry: are you serious? *sigh*

Anyway, back to the thread at hand. Anyone else had noticeable long-term battery improvement? Like i said earlier, it seems like it will/would work in theory, but i've yet to see it come through with stunning results.

Audiophobe

Reaction score
There is a thread on an extended life battery.m Good option to not have to deal with any of this.

naman919

Reaction score
There is a thread on an extended life battery.m Good option to not have to deal with any of this.

that is not relevant to the current thread. This thread is strictly for the JuiceDefender Application. Yes it's one extended battery thread of several, but it is aimed specifically at the app.

i don't think you are helping with comments like that.

Back to the topic, please chime in people with more JD results and thoughts.

Audiophobe

Reaction score

that is not relevant to the current thread. This thread is strictly for the JuiceDefender Application. Yes it's one extended battery thread of several, but it is aimed specifically at the app.

i don't think you are helping with comments like that.

Back to the topic, please chime in people with more JD results and thoughts.

Did not mean to offend.:icon_eek:
This board is informational and maybe some people didn't know about it.
I'll keep shut.

naman919

Reaction score
apologies, I think i misunderstood you.

What i think you originally meant, was that there is another thread that details ways to extend the battery life. That thread bypasses the need for the application in question, is that correct?

If that was the case, sorry to jump to conclusions. I misread your statement as fractious and unnecessary.

Feel free to link to the thread you were referring to. It's always good to add tips too. I'm sure combining some of the ideas from that thread and this thread would be beneficial to everyone.

Sp3aK

Reaction score
Well it looks a little confusing but I like the idea of it.

I still don't use my phone a whole lot so I will keep up with it on my own (I use the power control widget and leave everything off).

I might get the app anyways for times where I am using the phone more often.

*EDIT*
Okay well I'm bored at work and obviously not working so I got the app. It requires the UltimateJuice for the MMS/WiFi/Auto WiFi options. Also to get Night mode you have to have the paid version.

I don't have enough use for the application to justify it but it looks great. If the developer stumbles on this thread I would recommend the ability to automatically enable SYNC for a few minutes no a schedule as well.

Last edited:

naman919

Reaction score
@sp3ak I've wondered about the sync as well.

to the developer,

If i have apps that pull data everyone 15 minutes, but that 15 minutes doesn't coincide with JD's data collection times, what happens?

Is there a queue that forms for apps requesting data? Or do they continue to try and pull data, thus eating battery, when they can't locate it. Or do they line up in queue and wait for the next data available? Or do they look for data see the connection isn't available per JD, and skip updating that particular interval?

Like i said, good theory but i dunno if this is ironed out all the way.

Edit: Answered my own question on is site: http://www.latedroid.com/2010/01/juicedefender.html

See where he talks about "lazy" apps.

Last edited: