JuiceDefender/UltimateJuice Save your battery life by upto 2X!

OP
nphil

nphil

Reaction score
There's actually a similar app built into the Droid. And even better, it extends battery power almost indefinitely. Here's how it works.

() Long press on the power button.

() Select "Power Off" from the picklist.

Hur hur, good luck getting calls with that app!

dmo580

Reaction score
The Droid has many downsides when powered off and one of them is not being able to Alarm when the power is off. This is quite dumb as S60 and even Sony Ericsson dumbphones will alarm when the phone is off. But I guess in this day and age people expect your smartphone to be on 24/7 even though push email at 3am doesn't mean anything.

My question is while this app looks nice and turning off 3G certainly saves power when your screen is off, but the fact that it has to go on and off... is that more power consuming itself? And of course this app has to run in the background continuously.... what about the effect of battery life there? The bottom line is... does the app save more battery than it uses?

And why the wifi options? Who actually LEAVES wifi on? I occasionally flip it on when I want some serious speed, but this is rare... I guess it's cool to include it, but to make people pay for it? If anything make people pay for turning off 3G. That's the true battery hog people can deal without when their screens are off. Haha ok, no, I prefer it to be all free!

OP
nphil

nphil

Reaction score
well, I actually leave my WiFi on at all times since I have terrible 3G reception where I live. It's a hassle to turn it off and on everytime, so this app helps a lot for me here.

Regarding battery usage when the app is running, I wouldn't think it's a whole lot since the app barely uses any CPU time at all. You can check this by monitoring cpu usage with a suitable app. I'm not entirely sure how much battery it uses when you turn on schedule though, you might want to ask the dev about that.

dmo580

Reaction score
well, I actually leave my WiFi on at all times since I have terrible 3G reception where I live. It's a hassle to turn it off and on everytime, so this app helps a lot for me here.

Regarding battery usage when the app is running, I wouldn't think it's a whole lot since the app barely uses any CPU time at all. You can check this by monitoring cpu usage with a suitable app. I'm not entirely sure how much battery it uses when you turn on schedule though, you might want to ask the dev about that.

jeez your battery must drain like MAD.....

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cool thread, I'm currently trying out the free version to see if it helps my 1.25GHz OC battery life. I've been debating about getting the paid version but the only option that interests me is the wifi option and MMS. Don't know if it's worth it but I'll definitely try the free version out more.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
3G coverage at my house and my work sucks bad, consuming my battery trying to find a signal that isn't there. Will this app(the paid vers. anyways), allow me to turn 3G on and off at my will? If so, what setting within the app do this and what do you put them at? I thought using wifi would make your phone not search for 3G, but that is not the case....

dmo580

Reaction score
Have you really played around with this program? I just got it and it turns off your APN entirely not just 3G. It doesn't take you from EVDO-A down to 1x... It flat out disconnects you from the network. WTF is the point of that? I tested this by sending email to myself. No push email got through. Once I flipped on the screen it came through and buzzed me.

So essentially if it disconnects you from the APN, you can't receive calls (at least that's what it seems like). Now tell me what the heck is the point of that?

I was misled. I read the OP thinking it turns 3G => 2G which would be GREAT when your screen is off. After all you're just 1) waiting for calls, 2) pushing data, so why would you need 3G?

OP
nphil

nphil

Reaction score
It changes your 3G APN (Read : Access Point Name) to something else random, NOT change it to 1x. I would think that was pretty obvious, sorry if I misled you. The point is, I have various apps that request data even when my phone screen is off and this turns on my 3G modem, which wastes battery juice. You DO receive calls, this is not airplane mode. I have no need for push E-mail, and I have turned off scheduling because again, I simply have no need for the phone to be sending data in the background when I'm not using my phone. The only downside to this is that I can't get it to work with sipdroid for incoming calls, but I've contacted the dev about this and he might have a solution soon. The website I linked to explains it all very clearly, you should probably read. The intention of this thread was to give a quick walk through of what the app does, not a full fledged review.

So to conclude, with this app running, it's like I don't have a data plan at all when my screen is off AND it turns off WiFi automatically for me. I've stated before why I like to have WiFi on when I use my phone, so for people like me this app is a godsend. If you don't like it, don't use it/buy it.

Last edited:

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you really played around with this program? I just got it and it turns off your APN entirely not just 3G. It doesn't take you from EVDO-A down to 1x... It flat out disconnects you from the network. WTF is the point of that? I tested this by sending email to myself. No push email got through. Once I flipped on the screen it came through and buzzed me.

So essentially if it disconnects you from the APN, you can't receive calls (at least that's what it seems like). Now tell me what the heck is the point of that?

I was misled. I read the OP thinking it turns 3G => 2G which would be GREAT when your screen is off. After all you're just 1) waiting for calls, 2) pushing data, so why would you need 3G?

I thought that was the point. This app saves battery by limiting and controlling your background syncing to a custom interval. It automatically shuts 3G syncing off until the specified interval.

I think you can still receive phone calls though as that would have clearly been emphasized or have a warning. I haven't had a problem yet with it, I have the free version which doesn't allow wifi to turn off so I'm still receiving push notification for e-mails and such.

dmo580

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with 3G. It just flat out disables your APN meaning no data access. Sorry, I guess there's a little confusion on my part too because I'm a Milestone and not Droid user. It's a pretty clear cut difference for us EDGE vs 3G UMTS/HSDPA. The software doesn't disable your 3G APN only, it's disabling your APN entirely. You're not getting data whether its EDGE or UMTS/HSDPA at least on my Milestone.

And it should work the same way on Verizon. It's not disabling your EVDO-A (3G) data, it's disabling your data entirely.

So I suppose you can receive calls still if its just disabling your APN, but I would recommend changing the OP and not mentioning "3G". I know the graphic it self says 3G with an X on it, but it's not killing your 3G in any way to my knowledge. Otherwise you would still be getting data via 2G/1x. So in that sense yes I was confused based on reading the OP because it is somewhat incorrect. The developer's site mentions only disabling the APN btw, perhaps their icon is too confusing, and most people correlate 3G to data when in fact it's just a different communications protocol.

I'm just a little bummed because here on ATT we always talk about 2G vs 3G and iPhone users talk about turning off their 3G to save power. I just thought that this would be the app to turn off my 3G when I'm not actively needing it. But this is a little different.... I guess completely shutting off data.

In some way I find this pointless as you could just disable push and change all your apps to use data polling. You would essentially be doing the same thing. If you pulled all your email and facebook updates you would be doing what Juicedefender is doing... at least the free version. I can't imagine why your phone would be accessing data otherwise when your screen is off.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with 3G. It just flat out disables your APN meaning no data access. Sorry, I guess there's a little confusion on my part too because I'm a Milestone and not Droid user. It's a pretty clear cut difference for us EDGE vs 3G UMTS/HSDPA. The software doesn't disable your 3G APN only, it's disabling your APN entirely. You're not getting data whether its EDGE or UMTS/HSDPA at least on my Milestone.

And it should work the same way on Verizon. It's not disabling your EVDO-A (3G) data, it's disabling your data entirely.

So I suppose you can receive calls still if its just disabling your APN, but I would recommend changing the OP and not mentioning "3G". I know the graphic it self says 3G with an X on it, but it's not killing your 3G in any way to my knowledge. Otherwise you would still be getting data via 2G/1x. So in that sense yes I was confused based on reading the OP because it is somewhat incorrect. The developer's site mentions only disabling the APN btw, perhaps their icon is too confusing, and most people correlate 3G to data when in fact it's just a different communications protocol.

I'm just a little bummed because here on ATT we always talk about 2G vs 3G and iPhone users talk about turning off their 3G to save power. I just thought that this would be the app to turn off my 3G when I'm not actively needing it. But this is a little different.... I guess completely shutting off data.

In some way I find this pointless as you could just disable push and change all your apps to use data polling. You would essentially be doing the same thing. If you pulled all your email and facebook updates you would be doing what Juicedefender is doing... at least the free version. I can't imagine why your phone would be accessing data otherwise when your screen is off.

Oh ok lol thanks for clarifying, I don't know too much about 3G/APN stuff lol. I guess your right you could just set all apps to manually get updates. The app is a bit more convnient in that regard imo, lol but I guess to each his/her own lol :)

dmo580

Reaction score
Oh ok lol thanks for clarifying, I don't know too much about 3G/APN stuff lol. I guess your right you could just set all apps to manually get updates. The app is a bit more convnient in that regard imo, lol but I guess to each his/her own lol :)

Yeah, it's the master data switch I suppose, because the default for most apps is to just keep pushing data like a monster. I only push exchange mail during work hours while gmail lacks that option.

I wonder how programs would fare though if you had them on a timer pull (every 30 min), then JuiceDefender would really screw things up... assuming your program pulls when juice defender doesn't turn on data for a 3 min window.. heh. It would be pretty funny.

I'm waiting for that 2G/3G widget to work for the Droid though.