It's never easy, is it?

eidian

Reaction score
I noticed right after I converted my phone to the Maxx that only the dual usb charger that came with the original phone would work, nothing else would charge it. So I ordered a couple more of those OEM chargers from Amazon and they didn't work. I did notice that these replacement chargers have a dark grey panels on the top and bottom instead of light grey. I tried ordering another pair of chargers looking specifically for the light very panels and the ebay seller sent ones with the dark panels. Of course they didn't charge the Maxx (but my wife has four backup chargers now).

I finally decided to look at the model numbers and can't believe that they are different between the light and dark Grey versions. It's annoying that the specs are showing the same numbers but both don't work.

ForumRunner_20130626_133740.png

Converted my RAZR to the Maxx. My phone is actually useful now.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK, there's no reason (other than bad specifications), for one to work and the other not to. IF they're BOTH TRUE OEM versions, then there's absolutely no reason why they would not both work. They're simply USB charger adapters, and they provide the 5.1V at 750mAh off the same pins that all other standard USB-A ports do. The only possibility is that the cable you're using isn't compatible with the phone.

OP
eidian

eidian

Reaction score
I totally get what you're saying because that's exactly what I would've said if this was happening to someone else. Spec's are spec's. The only reason why I'm continuing to think that the four replacement chargers are in fact OEM, is because they do have a different model number (from my original charger) AND that I did the following to make sure that I didn't have my head up my ass when I came to my conclusion that only the charger that came originally with the phone works:

• I used the same (ECOMOTTO) cable on the one working and all four of the non-working chargers then did the same thing with another (ECOMMOTO) OEM cable (same result)
  • I did the above using the same outlet on the power strip
  • I did the first bullet point on different outlets on the same power strip
  • I did the bullet points one, two and three on two other receptacles located in different parts of the condo
  • I used the five chargers/two cables in various combinations on my wife's Kindle and they all worked (the Kindle recognized that it's being charged; how long it would take to charge is another story--but I'm not testing charge time, I'm just trying to see if the other chargers/cables get recognized

I finally found an eBay listing today for an adapter that has the same model number pictured as the one that came with my RAZR. Hopefully this one will work. If this one doesn't work, then I'll be convinced that these Amazon/eBay replacements are sub-standard or are not truly OEM replacements made by Motorola factories. I just hope that my $16 in non-useable chargers doesn't become $21.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Do you see ghosts at night? Day? Just kidding... Well, you may have just entered the Twilight Zone. I would have to see it for myself to believe it - not that I disbelieve you, mind you. You clearly have done the double-blind study process and still the results speak for themselves.

Please keep us updated when the new OEM replacement (same model number) arrives. I am very interested. I will say this. I've tried I don't know how many various wall warts (AC to DC USB adapters), and in EVERY CASE, they charge my Droid RAZR MAXX without a hitch. I do however have several USB-A to MicroUSB cables that do NOT work with the RAZR.

OP
eidian

eidian

Reaction score
LOL! I recently finished watching all five seasons of Ghost Whisperer...does that count as seeing ghosts?

It's funny (coincidental funny--not so much "ha ha" funny, but kind of) to read your healthy skepticism because I was thinking to myself that if I was home, I would've made a video showing this situation because I would be skeptical too. I still might soon but right now I have to work on a friend's Mickey Mouse watch from the 70's. Proving myself right is fun but tinkering with watches is more fun. I'll definitely do a follow-up post once I get this (hopefully working for my phone) charger. Hell, I may even make a video!

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have both of those exact same chargers and they work just fine on my Maxx. In fact, I have two of each and all four of them work fine. When I first got the spare one from Amazon, I noticed the different part number. I contacted Moto and they told me that they are exactly the same, but different part numbers for different packaging. I'm with Foxkat and leaning toward supernatural events in your house. Do you wear your tin foil hat at all times. Mine has protected me on many occasions.

OP
eidian

eidian

Reaction score
Interesting. I have both of those exact same chargers and they work just fine on my Maxx. In fact, I have two of each and all four of them work fine. When I first got the spare one from Amazon, I noticed the different part number. I contacted Moto and they told me that they are exactly the same, but different part numbers for different packaging. I'm with Foxkat and leaning toward supernatural events in your house. Do you wear your tin foil hat at all times. Mine has protected me on many occasions.

Tin foil hat? Please, don't insult me with your amateur tactics...more like tin foil house! If you're going to do something, go all the way.

I know that I'm right but I just did a check with two of the chargers in question here at work (I keep extra chargers/cables in my backpack just-in-case because well, my wife doesn't)...and yup, I was right...not charging the Maxx (by-the-way, the chargers do work on my wife's X2). I was going to make a video right now, here at work until I realized that I can't use the phone to make a video of itself not charging. I know, "duh!"...right?

I'm beginning to wonder if the fact that I converted my phone to a Maxx by installing one of those kits has something to do with this. The kit had all Motorola parts but at this point, I can't rule anything out.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Tin foil hat? Please, don't insult me with your amateur tactics...more like tin foil house!

That's an awesome idea, but I want to see pictures or it didn't happen. I bet it would cut down on my summer air conditioning bill too.
I don't know why the Maxx conversion would make a difference, but who knows, that could be it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Tin foil hat? Please, don't insult me with your amateur tactics...more like tin foil house! If you're going to do something, go all the way.

I know that I'm right but I just did a check with two of the chargers in question here at work (I keep extra chargers/cables in my backpack just-in-case because well, my wife doesn't)...and yup, I was right...not charging the Maxx (by-the-way, the chargers do work on my wife's X2). I was going to make a video right now, here at work until I realized that I can't use the phone to make a video of itself not charging. I know, "duh!"...right?

I'm beginning to wonder if the fact that I converted my phone to a Maxx by installing one of those kits has something to do with this. The kit had all Motorola parts but at this point, I can't rule anything out.

OK, so now we have a variable that has a possibility of being at the root of the problem. Frankly, I don't see how one battery could result in what you're dealing with over another. What I WOULD believe is that one battery over another may result in the phone refusing to charge that battery to avoid risk of fire or explosion and potential liability, however it would refuse on ALL charger adapters. Remember, the wall adapter is only providing voltage and current...the actual charger - the circuitry monitoring the battery and determining when to interrupt charge once fully charged, and when to start or resume - either at point of connection or if the battery has self-discharged over time.

I'm thinking better than tin foil house, you may wish to look into Diamond Plate Aluminum...perhaps 3/8" thick at a minimum, and use that for all exterior surfaces.

MondayProperties-4x6Custom.jpg

:icon_eek:

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's sweeeeet!!...but I'll have a hard time fitting my 90 inch LCD TV in that little unit?!? My real concern is: Is the diamond plate aluminum as good as tin foil at blocking the brain scanning rays? I've never seen a study on it. Do you have any credible research data on that?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, in the process of manufacturing tin (Aluminum), foil, weak spots could allow the scanning rays through, so I wouldn't trust my brain to a simple tin foil hat. There can even be microscopic pin holes depending on the thickness...

From Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_foil

Aluminium foils thicker than 25 µm (1.0
mil) are impermeable to oxygen and water. Foils thinner than this become slightly permeable due to minute pinholes caused by the production process.

In fact, beta radiation is used to measure the thickness of Aluminum foil, so it proves that the foil can only protect you so much (see below).

From Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_foil

Aluminium foil is produced by rolling sheet
ingots cast from molten billet aluminium, then re-rolling on sheet and foil rolling mills to the desired thickness, or by continuously casting and cold rolling. To maintain a constant thickness in aluminium foil production, beta radiation is passed through the foil to a sensor on the other side. If the intensity becomes too high, then the rollers adjust, increasing the thickness. If the intensities become too low and the foil has become too thick, the rollers apply more pressure, causing the foil to be made thinner.

I'd much rather have a full j-channel interlocking body armor, preferably with chainmail underneath, as the interlocking round rings in the chainmail create an array of circular magnetic fields which can protect me from any rays that may get through the openings between the armor plates! And of course, the complete protection from outside of Diamond Plate Aluminum. For extra measure you can line the interior walls with foil, just to ward off any trace elemental radiation that makes it through somehow, such as through ventilation channels.

:p

By the way, here's my house!!

tin_foil_hut_1.jpg

OP
eidian

eidian

Reaction score
LOL! You guys are out of control! Check this out:

I have an external battery that I used to charge the worthless OG Razr battery...it charges the Maxx battery! WTF!?

ForumRunner_20130628_200510.png

ForumRunner_20130628_200524.png

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You know, I totally missed the part about the phone being converted to the MAXX in your OP, but caught it when it was mentioned in a later post. It's all too obvious that SOMETHING changed when the battery was replaced. "What" is the mystery that needs solving. I'll tell you this...it's got me frazzled (and I imagine you too!)

I'll do some more research and see if I can come with anything plausible or reasonable.

OP
eidian

eidian

Reaction score
Foxcat: I'd make a sarcastic the about missing the conversion because it was on THE first sentence of my first post but you're helping out so I figure I'll let it slide (ha ha).

I don't know if you realize this but I'm the same person that asked how the OS recognized the fact that it's a Maxx now...I posted the pic of the info page showing that my phone is a Maxx a couple of weeks ago.

OP
eidian

eidian

Reaction score
ForumRunner_20130628_205145.png