Is something wrong with ICS

grgguy

Reaction score
Maybe someone can answer this for me . I'm in no hurry to get ICS , however whats the deal with it taking so long? Is there something inherently wrong with it? How many phones actually run it as stock (without rooting/modding)? It seems like even the new phones coming out aren't even using it. There all debuting with GB. Just makes me wonder is all . Inquiring minds want to know!

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been curious about this myself, seeing as they seem to be having difficulty getting it 100% correct on the GNex, let alone other devices. I am starting to wonder if there is more to the delay that meets the eye.

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No Moto is just probably trying to make it work with the Razor, the Maxx, and the (yet unreleased) HD

If you have never had a Moto phone before they are always slow.

OP
grgguy

grgguy

Reaction score
No Moto is just probably trying to make it work with the Razor, the Maxx, and the (yet unreleased) HD

If you have never had a Moto phone before they are always slow.

Why are they TRYING? Doesn't google release it ready to go? I'm not an IT guy an any way but somethings wrong here.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Why are they TRYING? Doesn't google release it ready to go? I'm not an IT guy an any way but somethings wrong here.

Google releases source code. That does not mean its ready to go on every handset. Moto has their Blur to integrate, and Verizon has to test stability to meet their standards. Its different than the Nexus devices as they run stock vanilla Android. The OEMs have to integrate it and add to it.

Be happy you will get ICE....us D3 users were left in the lurch on this.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
grgguy

grgguy

Reaction score
Google releases source code. That does not mean its ready to go on every handset. Moto has their Blur to integrate, and Verizon has to test stability to meet their standards. Its different than the Nexus devices as they run stock vanilla Android. The OEMs have to integrate it and add to it.

Ok so its a blur/ verizon issue. Hmm same story different day.

welsalex

Reaction score
Ive kinda thought how cool it would be to actually personally know one of the guys who works at motorola, specifically one that is tasked to getting ics on the bionic. Just call him up be like "bro, whats the real story?" I know i know i bet those guys have a nondisclosure type deal, but still, id bet if one of those guys was a real close friend hed still tell. Wish one of the many people on the inside that knew what was really going on could just give us the skinny on this and many other things.

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums

dfcfu342

Reaction score
The Xoom wifi (has no affiliations other than Motorola) had ICS the month it was released with blur on it so its clearly not moto that is the problem. The finger pointing should all be at Verizon who are manipulating the releases to push sales of certain phones. There is a fully working ICS leaked for the Razr and Verizon has yet to allow its release.

LaurelRaven

Reaction score

It's not just blur, they also have to get it working with the hardware...drivers and such. That could be quick and easy, but there could be problems worth that which will slow the process down.

I still think they should have been able to release by now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
I have been messing with some ICS Roms and I can tell you guys that even just the new UI alone is worth it. None of the ICS Roms have been stable enough yet (most have broken data) but atleast seeing it has definitely made me want it. Ill keep you guys posted if any ICS Roms really get working, but too bad the Bionic got left in the dust for the RAZR and other phones.

welsalex

Reaction score
The Xoom wifi (has no affiliations other than Motorola) had ICS the month it was released with blur on it so its clearly not moto that is the problem. The finger pointing should all be at Verizon who are manipulating the releases to push sales of certain phones. There is a fully working ICS leaked for the Razr and Verizon has yet to allow its release.

If im not mistaken its not so much the sale of phones rather its contracts they care about. You think they'd consider having a wider range of ics phones would land them more contracts both new and upgrades.

dfcfu342

Reaction score
welsalex said:
If im not mistaken its not so much the sale of phones rather its contracts they care about. You think they'd consider having a wider range of ics phones would land them more contracts both new and upgrades.

But why upgrade the Bionic to ICS and have a cheap lte ICS phone when you can hold it on gingerbread and keep pushing the MAXX for a higher price?

I doubt we'll see ICS until the RAZR and MAXX become free phones.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
The Xoom wifi (has no affiliations other than Motorola) had ICS the month it was released with blur on it so its clearly not moto that is the problem. The finger pointing should all be at Verizon who are manipulating the releases to push sales of certain phones. There is a fully working ICS leaked for the Razr and Verizon has yet to allow its release.[/QUOTE

Hmm, you sure the Xoom wifi has blur on it? I'm not so sure about that...I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
But why upgrade the Bionic to ICS and have a cheap lte ICS phone when you can hold it on gingerbread and keep pushing the MAXX for a higher price?

The OG Droid came out with Eclair in Nov 2009. It didn't get Froyo until August 2010. Other phones came out, but it still got Froyo. We can still get ICS, but I'm not chomping at the bit to get it.

OP
grgguy

grgguy

Reaction score

+1
sad but true