Is something wrong with ICS

welsalex

Reaction score
But why upgrade the Bionic to ICS and have a cheap lte ICS phone when you can hold it on gingerbread and keep pushing the MAXX for a higher price?

I doubt we'll see ICS until the RAZR and MAXX become free phones.

I might be wrong, but I believe verizon loses money on the device cost. While I'd guess they probably don't pay full retail, there cost is more than what they charge. Example a new razr with 2 yr contract is 200. But Verizon pays closer to retail price for the phone. They lose initially on the phone cost, but get your business for 2 years. Thats part of the reason breaking contract costs so much, so they can at least make up for the loss when they sold the phone.

My logic is more devices with ICS means more people signing a new or upgraded two year contracts. The Price of razrs have less to do with verizon making money because of how much the razr costs and more with how much more desired a razr is. Its the "hot item" to the majority consumer.

Of course i also think how most people don't know what ICS is or why it matters to them.

This is what happens when stuff like ics for the bionic doesnt happen right away.....i waste my time trying to reverse engineer verizons market strategy.

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums

dfcfu342

Reaction score
welsalex said:
I might be wrong, but I believe verizon loses money on the device cost. While I'd guess they probably don't pay full retail, there cost is more than what they charge. Example a new razr with 2 yr contract is 200. But Verizon pays closer to retail price for the phone. They lose initially on the phone cost, but get your business for 2 years. Thats part of the reason breaking contract costs so much, so they can at least make up for the loss when they sold the phone.

My logic is more devices with ICS means more people signing a new or upgraded two year contracts. The Price of razrs have less to do with verizon making money because of how much the razr costs and more with how much more desired a razr is. Its the "hot item" to the majority consumer.

Of course i also think how most people don't know what ICS is or why it matters to them.

This is what happens when stuff like ics for the bionic doesnt happen right away.....i waste my time trying to reverse engineer verizons market strategy.

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums

I'm not arguing with anything you said in fact you even backed me up a bit. Verizon has been pushing the RAZR hard through advertising and even just walking in the store they steer you straight to the RAZR. That is their flagship phone. Verizon does lose on every phone they sell but they certainly make it back up in monthly payments.

Back to topic no, nothing is wrong with ICS for Bionic. Its just being held by Big Red for some unknown reason.

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
Anyone know if at&t is any better with this stuff? This is horrible. Guess ill go install that new ICS theme they posted on the main page. Eclipse 2.2 let's roll.....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using the Droid Forums App

bbtkd

Reaction score
Perhaps ICS is taking so long because VZW is adding a crapware removal utility which allows you to pay to keep crapware off. Nah, they would never take a cue from the thousands of apps that allow you to pay to get rid of ads....

quadtronix

Reaction score
I can't wait to get Ics on my bionic... any guesses when that'll be?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
quadtronix said:

Lots of guesses, but nothing accurate. Next quarter, the quarter after that, who knows?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if at&t is any better with this stuff? This is horrible. Guess ill go install that new ICS theme they posted on the main page. Eclipse 2.2 let's roll.....

It seems like the ICS rollout is going extremely slowly for all devices and carriers, not just Verizon and Motorola. That's why I am convinced that the OS itself has a fault that they can't figure out. Remember, even the GNex is running an outdated ICS build - and that is supposed to be the best supported Android phone on the market. As of May 9th, only 4.9% of all Android devices were running ICS. That is reported by Google Play, so could include devices running custom ICS ROMs, not just official releases. I am pretty sure that the Galaxy SII is the only Gingerbread device that has been updated to ICS so far (talking phones, not tablets).

The fact that the Xoom Wifi model got ICS while the 4G model did not makes me think the issue lies in the network stack somewhere.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

This is going to sound like a wisecrack answer, but it's not - I mean this as the truth. We will know the moment an update notification appears on our phones, and it is ICS. Moto no longer gives estimated release dates, as they tried that route and it only led to complaints when they missed a date. VZW has never been open about updates, usually their employees don't even know until the week of a release.

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
Are any of you guys interested in the ICS ROMS? They are continually making progress. But something has to be done with the carriers supporting their main phones. Its really getting sad

akhi216

Reaction score
I don't think that it has anything to do with putting Blur over ICS. My guess is that they're trying to make it as hack-proof as they can.

quadtronix

Reaction score
Dave12308 said:
This is going to sound like a wisecrack answer, but it's not - I mean this as the truth. We will know the moment an update notification appears on our phones, and it is ICS. Moto no longer gives estimated release dates, as they tried that route and it only led to complaints when they missed a date. VZW has never been open about updates, usually their employees don't even know until the week of a release.

I asked in two different vzws and got two very different answers. First answer: June. Second answer: not gonna happen. The guy who said June also said he was waiting on ics himself on his razr and that the bionic would get it same time... I don't know what to believe... I have ics on tablet already and its awesome! Just want it on phone now too. Gingerbreads hot though, so no big deal. Just would be nice.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I asked in two different vzws and got two very different answers. First answer: June. Second answer: not gonna happen. The guy who said June also said he was waiting on ics himself on his razr and that the bionic would get it same time... I don't know what to believe... I have ics on tablet already and its awesome! Just want it on phone now too. Gingerbreads hot though, so no big deal. Just would be nice.

Number 1 rule with Verizon (and cell carriers in general).

Don't believe anything an employee tells you regarding updates. They are not any more informed than we are, and most of them who don't simply say "I don't have that information" are simply quoting things they read on forums such as this one, or giving an answer simply to sound more informed than they are.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

I don't think we'll get a lot of notice when it does. There will be threads with links with some sort of info, but it won't be certain. Then we'll see some soak test posts. The real clue will probably be in the News part of this site with an official "Get most out of your Bionic" statement with links on how to install the OTA download.

Number 1 rule with Verizon (and cell carriers in general).

Don't believe anything an employee tells you regarding updates. They are not any more informed than we are, and most of them who don't simply say "I don't have that information" are simply quoting things they read on forums such as this one, or giving an answer simply to sound more informed than they are.

I'd like to see an "Update Predictor" that works like a Magic 8 Ball. You ask it when something is going to happen and you'll get answers like "Next Quarter," "Shortly," "Not quite yet" and "Very Soon." Maybe even the catchall "Tomorrow at the soonest." Underneath would be who told you like "Tech," "Second Tier Tech," "Third Tier Tech," "Manager," and "Developer who's visiting a friend in Customer Support."

OP
grgguy

grgguy

Reaction score
I think they have sold too much "app space " and are trying to configure all the bloatware to work together.