Is keeping ulimited worth it anymore?

kooshie

Reaction score
It depends on your needs my husband and I both use approximately 7gb a month each. My son could probably lose his but we're keeping his just in case he uses more in the future. I do hope er contemplate using his line for upgrade purposes, hmm........

TatDroid

Reaction score
ok thanks, I was just under the impression the Max was part of the Edge..

Nope, the Max plan has nothing to do with those crappy Edge plans. With the Max plan you go back on a normal 2 year contract, and are again eligible to upgrade to a new subsidized phone.

Reaction score
thanks, i'll talk to them again today (with my dad being there) and see what i can get

I really shouldn't care about Unlimited as much as I do, I am averaging less than .5 GB a month, I'm just worried about in the future if I have to start traveling (which is a possibility) I'm luck my work as WiFi, which is why I use so little Data, I'm rarely on the 4G network

*update*

Glad I ask questions. They offered me the 30 for 6GB deal, but I asked if this is kept the whole time or just the 2 year contract. She mentioned I would be losing the 6GB after the 2 year and would revert to 2GB after the contract is up.

Nope, not taking it then, I'll keep my unlimited

TatDroid

Reaction score
Glad I ask questions. They offered me the 30 for 6GB deal, but I asked if this is kept the whole time or just the 2 year contract. She mentioned I would be losing the 6GB after the 2 year and would revert to 2GB after the contract is up. Nope, not taking it then, I'll keep my unlimited
Of course, none of us can know whether unlimited data will still be an option 2 years from now...

B-Unit

Reaction score
At some point the number of unlimited customers will be small enough that Verizon will tell them switch to a different plan or a different carrier. When that time comes, the choices will probably not be as good as what is currently available with the Edge plan.

They will have to make them somewhat compelling if they dont want to loose those customers. With VZWs stance on locked boot loaders, I am already prepared to switch. If they cut off unlimited and provide no compelling plan to move to, I will try a carrier that respects the fact that the phone is mine. Verizon's coverage is second to none, no doubt, but I am only willing to accept so much beating to use it.

loki993

Reaction score
Wanted to start a new thread but this probably goes best in here....so I went to the Verizon store and was offered the max plan, 6gigs a month, for the same price I'm paying now, 65. On top of that I can also get the edge plan and "finance" the phone over 2 years. Seems like the best deal so far Ive been offered to get off of unlimited. Aside from losing unlimited whats the downside of this? I dont see one..help me find the small print..if there is any...Im seriously considering this.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Wanted to start a new thread but this probably goes best in here....so I went to the Verizon store and was offered the max plan, 6gigs a month, for the same price I'm paying now, 65. On top of that I can also get the edge plan and "finance" the phone over 2 years. Seems like the best deal so far Ive been offered to get off of unlimited. Aside from losing unlimited whats the downside of this? I dont see one..help me find the small print..if there is any...Im seriously considering this.

-You'll be adding about $25, depending on the phone you get, a month.

-Over two years that's $600.

-New phones cost about $300-$600.

-You lose unlimited data and pay the same amount you're paying now.

-It seems, to me, that it is more efficient to save $25 a month for two years and buy the phone outright.

-The plan would be more efficient if you don't use more than 6gb a month and you have issues where you just can't seem to save. (though working on that instead might be better long term)

Those are the only advantages and disadvantages I see. I think they offer a plan discount for edge users but I don't know if it's all of them and you are still paying about $25 a month on top of that plan.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll try to make this easy.
If you go with a subsidized plan, you are paying about 25/month for the cost of the phone. You will get 6gigs of data per month, which ain't half bad.
If you go with a month to month plan, buy your phone, you are still paying the same amount each month. It's like you are paying 25/month to keep your old unlimited plan.

So, if you use more than 6 gigs per month, I say keep your unlimited.
If you don't use more than 6 gigs per month, I say get a new phone ever 6-12 months on Max.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The Edge plan is a convenience - you really gain nothing over buying full retail and selling it on EBAY. You may be paying a slight premium to VZW to save you that hassle. Giving up unlimited for that convenience is a pretty steep price, but if you rarely use over 6 gigs then unlimited really isn't worth that much to you. You're also picking up unlimited minutes, which is a good deal for most (I have 450 minutes).

Now if you want to buy and sell slightly used phones on EBAY and Swappa (say, grab a used phone 6 months after they come out) you'll probably come out a little ahead.

Of course the most economic thing is to stop marginally upgrading your phone less than every 2 years. I'm going on 2.5 yrs with my Rezound, am not interested in anything currently out there, and likely will have my next phone for 3+ years.

TatDroid

Reaction score
One very important distinction to make here is that the Max plan and the Edge plan are two DIFFERENT plans. With the Edge plan you must still buy your own, full price, unsubsidized phone. This is NOT the case with the Max plan.

The Max plan is a normal, 2 year contract plan, but with 6GB of data. You buy a subsidized phone, just like any other 2 year contract plan. So you save the $300 - $400 difference of buying your phone at retail, or buying it with monthly payments (Edge plan). If you use less than 6GB of data, the Max plan (available ONLY to current unlimited customers) is a no brainer. Why pay full retail on the Edge plan?

Verizon may try to confuse you, and sell you the Edge plan with 6GB of data (so that you're still paying full price for your phone). But if you want 6GB of data AND you want a subsidized phone, make sure you are actually getting the Max plan.

loki993

Reaction score
The Edge plan is a convenience - you really gain nothing over buying full retail and selling it on EBAY. You may be paying a slight premium to VZW to save you that hassle. Giving up unlimited for that convenience is a pretty steep price, but if you rarely use over 6 gigs then unlimited really isn't worth that much to you. You're also picking up unlimited minutes, which is a good deal for most (I have 450 minutes).

Now if you want to buy and sell slightly used phones on EBAY and Swappa (say, grab a used phone 6 months after they come out) you'll probably come out a little ahead.

Of course the most economic thing is to stop marginally upgrading your phone less than every 2 years. I'm going on 2.5 yrs with my Rezound, am not interested in anything currently out there, and likely will have my next phone for 3+ years.

See I have the rezound as well and honestly Ive had enough of it. The battery life has never been great and its gotten even worse recently...I struggle to get a hour of screen on time. I think the next phone I get will have for at least 2 years, unless Im on the Edge plan than why not trade up for something new after a year, but its not something I need to do.

One very important distinction to make here is that the Max plan and the Edge plan are two DIFFERENT plans. With the Edge plan you must still buy your own, full price, unsubsidized phone. This is NOT the case with the Max plan.

The Max plan is a normal, 2 year contract plan, but with 6GB of data. You buy a subsidized phone, just like any other 2 year contract plan. So you save the $300 - $400 difference of buying your phone at retail, or buying it with monthly payments (Edge plan). If you use less than 6GB of data, the Max plan (available ONLY to current unlimited customers) is a no brainer. Why pay full retail on the Edge plan?

Verizon may try to confuse you, and sell you the Edge plan with 6GB of data (so that you're still paying full price for your phone). But if you want 6GB of data AND you want a subsidized phone, make sure you are actually getting the Max plan.

I wanted no contract and edge....that's what to rep said I could do....whether or not he knows what hes talking about I suppose is a different story.

I do use less than 6 gigs, but them again with a phone that works properly and that had a decent surfing experience..who knows, but honestly probably not. Im not going to be watching netflix or anything on it. Maybe some music streaming.

Clamshell

Reaction score
This hasn't been mentioned and should be considered.
Currently voice isn't using data. Sometime this year Verizon will changing over to VoLTE which will
use data. Not all phones are capable of this though. I'll be keeping my unlimited for this reason alone
even though I don't use more than 3Gb at this time.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This hasn't been mentioned and should be considered.
Currently voice isn't using data. Sometime this year Verizon will changing over to VoLTE which will
use data. Not all phones are capable of this though. I'll be keeping my unlimited for this reason alone
even though I don't use more than 3Gb at this time.

VoLTE uses like 10-12 megs of data per hour. If you talk a ton and have a 1 gig plan it might be an issue, but for the vast majority of people they "leak" more data downloading app updates.

The bigger question is if that's going to force a lot of people off unlimited, even if indirectly (because of superior call quality, especially if supplemented with wifi when available). Theoretically as new phones come out VoLTE compatible, VZW might force you to have a VoLTE plan....meaning you are SOL if you want a new phone and to keep your unlimited data.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
See I have the rezound as well and honestly Ive had enough of it. The battery life has never been great and its gotten even worse recently...I struggle to get a hour of screen on time. I think the next phone I get will have for at least 2 years, unless Im on the Edge plan than why not trade up for something new after a year, but its not something I need to do.

My battery was on its last legs. Bought an extended battery a few months ago and now easily get 20 hrs (up to 48+ with very low use)...probably 8hrs of display time on a full charge.

Not a bad deal for $30. I expect to wait at least another 6 months for the phone I want, and I know very specifically what I want so my next phone will last me 3+ years.