Is keeping ulimited worth it anymore?

loki993

Reaction score
somehow I think they can separate whats voice and whats "data" I think thing call will count against your limit....and if it did that would be ridiculous....

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Verizon may try to confuse you, and sell you the Edge plan with 6GB of data (so that you're still paying full price for your phone). But if you want 6GB of data AND you want a subsidized phone, make sure you are actually getting the Max plan.

Good call. Max plan is 100% the way to go here. Unless you want to burn money upgrading every 12 months, then you're paying a $150-$200/yr for the convenience.

jrredho

Reaction score
See I have the rezound as well and honestly Ive had enough of it. The battery life has never been great and its gotten even worse recently...I struggle to get a hour of screen on time.

So, this comment triggered a knee-jerk reaction for me: If it's battery life, new replacements on Amazon are $6--10! I just did this exact thing for my Rezound, and it's like having a new phone again---except, of course, that I went ahead and bought 2 of them due to the poor battery life generally in Rezounds. :)

If you're done with it for other reasons, then, well, you're done with it and there's really nothing more to say. But if it's because you have a battery that loses juice in an hour, pay the $20 and give yourself some time to sort all of this out...

good luck,
john

loki993

Reaction score
Ive though about it and I think it basically chalks up like this......Im giving up unlimited to basically save 20 or 25 bucks a month. when I think about it that way its not worth it. I can also lay down some cash on the phone Im buying and spread the balance out over the year, I think.... So with that I think Ill keep unlimited. The only thing that left is to possibility that Verizon will just talk it away at some point and force us all onto 2 gig plans. Honestly I think thats a slim possibility..Ive been with Verizon for some time now and as far as I know they have never just took a plan away. Can they? sure will they probably not.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ive though about it and I think it basically chalks up like this......Im giving up unlimited to basically save 20 or 25 bucks a month. when I think about it that way its not worth it. I can also lay down some cash on the phone Im buying and spread the balance out over the year, I think.... So with that I think Ill keep unlimited. The only thing that left is to possibility that Verizon will just talk it away at some point and force us all onto 2 gig plans. Honestly I think thats a slim possibility..Ive been with Verizon for some time now and as far as I know they have never just took a plan away. Can they? sure will they probably not.

If you stay unlimited, you pay about 25 dollars more per bill cycle to keep unlimited.
If you go subsidized, the 25 dollars goes toward the phone you are using.
If you go Max plan, you get 6 gigs of data a month, and get a subsidized phone (for unlimited users only)
If you go Edge plan, you get a new phone every year, but pay a fee for your data usage (2 gig, 4 gig, etc.). You are leasing your phone until you pay for it.

TatDroid

Reaction score
$300 a year is a lot of money unless you average over 6gigs a month.

Exactly. As much as I love the "idea" of unlimited data, I average 2 to 3GB/month, and have never used more than 4GB, so I went with the Max plan and got a subsidized Moto X. At least I am guaranteed to have 6GB for 2 years. (there are no guarantees when you're month-to-month. Hence the name "month-to-month"... )

loki993

Reaction score
I don't know what I will use when I get a phone that I can actually use. Its worth it at least once to see. Plus its not 300 a year...its 300 once....when the phones payed off my bill should go back to normal. With the edge plan your still paying the same amount of money for the phone just over more time and you can upgrade after a year. If I pay the phone off over a year I still have that option, though not as easy as with edge. So I'm giving up unlimited just to have to option of taking longer to pay my phone of essentially, but either way Im paying full price for a phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't know what I will use when I get a phone that I can actually use. Its worth it at least once to see. Plus its not 300 a year...its 300 once....when the phones payed off my bill should go back to normal. With the edge plan your still paying the same amount of money for the phone just over more time and you can upgrade after a year. If I pay the phone off over a year I still have that option, though not as easy as with edge. So I'm giving up unlimited just to have to option of taking longer to pay my phone of essentially, but either way Im paying full price for a phone.

No, there was a different plan (Max?) that was like $60 a month for 6gigs. And that's probably $20-$30 lower than your current unlimited plan. So, in fact, keeping unlimited costs you $250-$300 extra a year, not including the value of a subsidized phone.

6gigs is A LOT of data if you have wifi at home. The only realistic way to blow over that is if for some reason you watch a ton of youtube/netflix on your phone.

loki993

Reaction score
Right now I pay 60 a month for unlimited...in fact up until recently any change in plans would have actually raised my bill..

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Right now I pay 60 a month for unlimited...in fact up until recently any change in plans would have actually raised my bill..
$60 a month total bill or $60 for unlimited data? My unlimited is $29.99 a month on a 1400 minute plan comes out to $107.

loki993

Reaction score
$60 a month total bill or $60 for unlimited data? My unlimited is $29.99 a month on a 1400 minute plan comes out to $107.

60 a month total bill.....its an old 450 minute plan that's I actually had to call in to get.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
For the majority of people, unlimited is not necessary. The average smartphone user is anywhere from 1-2gb each month. I was adamant about not losing unlimited until I saw what I was using. Only once have I had more than 2gb, so I went with the 4gb plan just in case. If I did not work for Verizon, I would be doing Edge because I'm so used to getting a 1yr contract for being an employee

Sent from my Droid Maxx

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I finally got a call from VZW the other day....it was kind of cryptic and hard to understand, but said something about upgrading and keeping my plan (I assume he met "similar").

I'm curious to call, but not interested in upgrading at this time. I'm sure it takes them time to get around to it, but Ive been eligible for upgrade for over 6 months, so strange to get a call now.