Is keeping ulimited worth it anymore?

phil72

Reaction score
I totally agree that Android is much more user friendly then Apple iPhone, I loved my iPhones & everything they were capable of then tried the gs3 & it was a whole new ballgame. I'll stay with Android 100% it's easy to use, has some wicked theme's & icon pacs etc. Way more user friendly!

jspradling7

Reaction score
Back on track and for what it's worth...

I had an unlimited plan that was 65 dollars a month with taxes and fees included. 18 months ago I added a line for my wife and they put us in a Shared 700 minute plan. I was able to keep my unlimited data and she has 4gb of data on her line and the monthly bill is now $165.00

I recently asked Verizon what would happen if I used my upgrade on my unlimited line. He said he could put me in a special 6gb plan for people that have unlimited and the price would be the same as it is now. It would not be an Edge plan (which is a scam in my opinion), just a straight 6gb for the same $29.99 I am paying for my unlimited and I could use my available upgrade.

This is tempting for me because I'm not using the huge amounts of data that I used to use with my GNex.

I've read in several places that a certain amount of your monthly bill to Verizon (15-20 bucks maybe?) is a hardware charge. So if I understand correctly, that's why you get subsidized pricing on upgrades, they get the balance of the phones retail price from you through this hidden monthly fee. Once you are eligible for upgrade or out of contract you are still paying this monthly fee for hardware but you aren't getting anything for it. So, to keep my unlimited, I have been buying phones at full retail and I still get hit with this monthly hardware charge. I think I read yesterday that AT&T has started reducing the monthly fee when you are eligible for upgrade or out of contract. It would be nice if Verizon would do that.

Anyway... 6 gigs for me and 4 gigs for my wife should be plenty for us now and I can start using my upgrades. It is tempting. But part of me says.. "Yeah, and soon as you do that you'll find a need for the unlimited data and be kicking yourself in the arse"

Reaction score
I may try to see if they'd be willing to give me 6GB of data to move off of Unlimited, I'd do it for that

Reaction score
dang, so I'm talking with a rep right now, sounds like I won't be able to get it, because I don't currently use much data (less than 1 GB a month)

*update*

lol, so it sounded like he was going to do it, and as he pulled the info, he goes, oh sorry, I can't do anything because you aren't the primary account owner (I am under my dad's). FFFUUU, you couldn't mention this when we started when I told you I am under my dad's acct and i'm trying to get my line possibly changed? ugh, guess I shoulda just pretended to be my dad the whole time, not like they woulda known

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
"[FONT=Titillium Web, sans-serif] [/FONT]Android in my opinionmis more user friendly than IOS"

Squirrel

TatDroid

Reaction score
I may try to see if they'd be willing to give me 6GB of data to move off of Unlimited, I'd do it for that

I have not yet heard of any current unlimited customer that was not able to switch to the Max plan (6GB/month). That is the sole reason that this plan exists.

Reaction score
I have not yet heard of any current unlimited customer that was not able to switch to the Max plan (6GB/month). That is the sole reason that this plan exists.

my understanding was they made you sign up for the edge with it (for some people)

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've read in several places that a certain amount of your monthly bill to Verizon (15-20 bucks maybe?) is a hardware charge. So if I understand correctly, that's why you get subsidized pricing on upgrades, they get the balance of the phones retail price from you through this hidden monthly fee. Once you are eligible for upgrade or out of contract you are still paying this monthly fee for hardware but you aren't getting anything for it. So, to keep my unlimited, I have been buying phones at full retail and I still get hit with this monthly hardware charge. I think I read yesterday that AT&T has started reducing the monthly fee when you are eligible for upgrade or out of contract. It would be nice if Verizon would do that."

This!

I bought my Moto X at full price to see if I could get a discount, and the Verizon customer rep laughed so hard he started to cough uncontrollably.

TatDroid

Reaction score
my understanding was they made you sign up for the edge with it (for some people)

If you're on unlimited you qualify for the Max plan. Avoid the Edge plan like the plague! If the rep you're speaking with doesn't sign you up, hang up, call back, and speak to a rep who knows what's going on!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
If you're on unlimited you qualify for the Max plan. Avoid the Edge plan like the plague! If the rep you're speaking with doesn't sign you up, hang up, call back, and speak to a rep who knows what's going on!

Correct. Unlimited users can go to max plan. They don't come right out with it. The girl at my store did though, phone reps take a bit.

If you're not the account owned or manager you're SOL.

Reaction score

ok thanks, I was just under the impression the Max was part of the Edge..

when I talked to the guy he was kinda dancing around the subject, and I got tired of playing the dance, so I just told him look, I know for a face people were offered 6GB for $30, I'll do that if you can make it happen..he went on was like ok let me pull up your profile that could be a great option....that's when he went to tell me I wasnt the owner/manager so he couldn't do anything...thanks for wasting 20 minutes of my time!!