Is keeping ulimited worth it anymore?

crimanysakes

Reaction score
So I know the unlimited data stuff has been hashed and rehashed, but I am wondering from a cost standpoint if keeping my unlimited data is even worth it anymore? I probably use around a a gig of data every month (average) though I have peaked at times a bit over 2.5g on occasion -- but that's rare (right now).

Looking at my bill, I am in essence paying $29.99 for this ("email and web unlimited"). Plus paying $10 for 1000 texts (not unlimited!), and of course the $9.99 access fee. That's in addition to the $50 I pay for 700 "shared" minutes; which since my wife will be off my plan I don't even need anymore (and I talk much less that 700 minutes on the phone). so that's $50 + whatever the talk plan would run me (i'm guessing $20-30).

Now, Verizon is running this no-contract (I think it's no contract) for $60 for 1g (is there still an access fee with that?) with unlimited talk/text.
AT&T, for $60, gives you 2.5g.
And TMobile is also $60 for 2.5g -- though there I could (and would have to) get a new phone as the Verizon RAZR won't transfer easily - so that's an extra $25 for a two years; but at least I'll have a new phone.

So, here's my general question -- it seems that though unlimited is nice; it's not terribly cost effective unless you are using over 2.5g/month on average. And I am unsure that except for those people who do use that much, why so many people want to keep it. It seems like I am paying upwards of 10-20/month extra to get data that I may never use; and I don't even get unlimited voice/text!

note: my preference for the carrier IS Verizon -- I have found them to be the most reliable. But that doesn't mean I will stick with them above all else.

Any comments, questions, hints would be welcome! Thanks,
--c

N4UPD

Reaction score
If you ever consider tethering on your computer you will use a lot more data. I love to tether to my tablet or laptop.Also if you ever got into online gaming you definitively would want to keep unlimited. Lots of apps out there that has video streaming and a few very good ones I might add. Just be sure before you drop something you will probably never be able to get back.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
For me, unlimited data is a must. My bill is roughly around $200/month for 2 smartphones with unlimited data, 1 dumb phone I use for upgrades, 1400 shared minutes, and unlimited texts. My wife uses around 10-30GB depending on how much Netflix she watches. I average about 50+GB from Netflix, tethering, games, downloads, etc. So for me yes its much much cheaper.

If you don't use more than 4GB a month, it may be a tad cheaper to go data share plan. You can always change your voice & text plan and still keep unlimited data. i believe VZW has a 300 minute and unlimited text plan for like $30/month. For me, Verizon is the most reliable and fastest network in my general area. I'm in between LA and Austin, places I travel to the most, and I always have great reception either way.

quaffapint

Reaction score
It really depends upon the usage. You can go into the VZ billing panel and see your data usage over time. For both my wife and I it was like no more than 250MB a month - we use wifi 99.9% of the time. So, for me I plan on dumping our unlimited when my contract is up and going with an AT&T MVNO for half the price and no contract.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It really depends upon the usage. You can go into the VZ billing panel and see your data usage over time. For both my wife and I it was like no more than 250MB a month - we use wifi 99.9% of the time. So, for me I plan on dumping our unlimited when my contract is up and going with an AT&T MVNO for half the price and no contract.
You can sell your unlimited line and make a couple hundred off it.

For me, unlimited is a must. I tether my PC when I'm at a clients office or my tablet when I'm traveling. Hell I had a house running off it when the cable went out. This is why I bought a phone at retail. I will keep unlimited up until the end. I looked at the share everything. It was going to cost me exactly the same with my current plan. Didn't see the point, if I had 2 or more devices that might make it worth it though, I suppose.

OP
C

crimanysakes

Reaction score
If you don't use more than 4GB a month, it may be a tad cheaper to go data share plan. You can always change your voice & text plan and still keep unlimited data. i believe VZW has a 300 minute and unlimited text plan for like $30/month. For me, Verizon is the most reliable and fastest network in my general area. I'm in between LA and Austin, places I travel to the most, and I always have great reception either way.

So perhaps I should head into a store, but I always come out feeling bamboozled.

But can I get a basic plan (I found online for $35 = 500 minutes, unlimited text (and "mobile web"?)) and then attach my unlimited data to that, for what I would gather is another $30, for a total of $65? And then, do I (does everyone) still pay the %@#$# "access fee" as well ($10)? All told, $75+taxes? That's not much better than what I have now.

I fully agree Verizon has the best network, but at a $25 (50%) premium it's steep. I'd love to keep my unlimited -- I too have used it when cable has gone done or when I need to tether, it's awsome for that. But it's such a premium.

Is "unlimited" always $29.99 for everyone, or do people get different rates for this?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Unlimited data is $29.99, has been for everyone when it was offered. There was a corp data plan for $45 at one time. Not sure if it still exists.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe you need a family talk & text plan. Cheapest is $60 for 450 minutes and unlimited text. Then it'll be $30 for the unlimited text and $10 for additional lines.

I'll be trying to switch to a lower minutes family plan soon. I've got the 1400 minutes plan for $120 but don't use that much.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
So perhaps I should head into a store, but I always come out feeling bamboozled.

But can I get a basic plan (I found online for $35 = 500 minutes, unlimited text (and "mobile web"?)) and then attach my unlimited data to that, for what I would gather is another $30, for a total of $65? And then, do I (does everyone) still pay the %@#$# "access fee" as well ($10)? All told, $75+taxes? That's not much better than what I have now.

I fully agree Verizon has the best network, but at a $25 (50%) premium it's steep. I'd love to keep my unlimited -- I too have used it when cable has gone done or when I need to tether, it's awsome for that. But it's such a premium.

Is "unlimited" always $29.99 for everyone, or do people get different rates for this?

-If you have unlimited data changing your plan will make you lose unlimited data forever.

-For most people unlimited data saves them money under 4 GB of usage.

-An exception to this is if your plan is already over $100 before unlimited data. Then you are probably spending more keeping unlimited data.

-All of Verizon's new plans with data require the plan fee in addition to the access fee.

-Verizon's basic plans cannot be used with with smartphones. They are for basic phones.

-To summarize: Unlimited data is worth keeping if you:

Think you're going to use it in the future. (Even though it might not be around.)

Use it now. (The amount you pay/use is equal or less than the corresponding GB amount under the Share Everything plans.)

Can deal with saving the money you save keeping your unlimited for your off-contact device.

Zecpull

Reaction score
I am not giving mine up;) ..I got in on the plan of the year..I have 3 phones on 1400 min share..and unlimited TXT and DATA...for $150.. total for all 3 .. I can't switch to a 2.5 gig plan that can come close..

TatDroid

Reaction score
A good compromise for many people, including the OP here it looks to me, is Verizon's "Max" plan. This plan is not listed anywhere, and is ONLY for current unlimited data customers that are now off contract. For the exact same $30 you now pay for data you will get 6GB.

The bad news is you will go back on a 2 year contract. The good news is that you will continue to pay exactly the same amount monthly, but will now be able to upgrade to a subsidized phone.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
At some point the number of unlimited customers will be small enough that Verizon will tell them switch to a different plan or a different carrier. When that time comes, the choices will probably not be as good as what is currently available with the Edge plan.

phil72

Reaction score
Holy crap that's what you pay for unlimited data on your smartphone? I'd be leaving it alone for sure that's a crazy price, I'm in Ontario Canada with Rogers as my carrier and I pay $70.00 & it includes the following Unlimited Weekday/Weekend Min. Local, Call Answer Display Messages, Unlimited Texting, & 2gb of Data. so about $80 once taxes & any long distance charges etc.
I'd so pay $29.99\month for life if I could, I can only hope that data gets cheaper. :)