Is it possible to expand the RAM?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
dont let the numbers fool you.... the snapdragon 1ghz isnt much if any faster then the cortex a8 550mhz.

The current Snapdragons that clock over 600Mhz are definitively based on Cortex A8 cores. Qualcomm was able to get an architecture license from ARM. So the 1ghz snapdragon is almost identical to the Cortex A8 except they have added more pipeline stages to get the extra clock speed. From what i understand the cache size is identical in both chips.

in case you dont know the snapdragon 1ghz is in the N1 while the Droid has an ARM Cortex A8
They need to post this somewhere because I can't even count many people/tech reviewers are making it sound like the Nexus 1 is leaps and bounds faster than the Droid just because the clock speed is 550 Mhz vs 1Ghz. It's almost like false advertising and irks me a little. :mad: while on paper is seems like it's a lot faster but in real life performances they are actually very similar. :/

if this info was widely available to the masses it would kill the hype surrounding the nexus one..... thus lower sales.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
this may make me sound like a dick but i have to say it. All of you are actually not talking about RAM, you're talking about ROM. ROM is where the actual android os is installed as well as all applications. RAM is memory used by the system to temporarily store variables and other data while running processes and apps. just clarifying.

Exactly. Very big difference. The amount of rom doesn't bother me or make a difference with performance. The nexus one has twice the amount of RAM compared to the droid, which is part of what makes it snappier than the droid. There's nothing we can do about that.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
dont let the numbers fool you.... the snapdragon 1ghz isnt much if any faster then the cortex a8 550mhz.

The current Snapdragons that clock over 600Mhz are definitively based on Cortex A8 cores. Qualcomm was able to get an architecture license from ARM. So the 1ghz snapdragon is almost identical to the Cortex A8 except they have added more pipeline stages to get the extra clock speed. From what i understand the cache size is identical in both chips.

in case you dont know the snapdragon 1ghz is in the N1 while the Droid has an ARM Cortex A8
They need to post this somewhere because I can't even count many people/tech reviewers are making it sound like the Nexus 1 is leaps and bounds faster than the Droid just because the clock speed is 550 Mhz vs 1Ghz. It's almost like false advertising and irks me a little. :mad: while on paper is seems like it's a lot faster but in real life performances they are actually very similar. :/

Its not just about a faster processor though. It has twice as much ram as the droid, which should make a noticeable difference when multitasking using memory intensive apps.
Can't argue with the RAM aspect, but the problem is they never mention the RAM in the videos I've seen so it's basically saying the the processor is the only thing that accounts for the speed increase which isn't true. It wouldn't irk me as much if they included RAM in their statements; "The 1Ghz Sanpdragon processor and 512 RAM wil make the N1 pretty snappy when multitasking....etc..." vs "WOW...the 1Ghz Snapdragon Processor is SOOOO fast, it's blowing my mind...I think I'm gonna C**...uh...uh...aaaaahh" (ok so the second statement is a bit of a dramatization, but that's what I read whenever they get overly excited about the snapdragon processor).

tktouch12

Reaction score

is this actually true? i mean, i believe you, but that makes me feel alot better.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

is this actually true? i mean, i believe you, but that makes me feel alot better.

unfortunatly it is.... the main reason you will see that the n1 is faster is the fact it has double the ram of the droid. 512 instead of 256.

they arent coming out and saying what they changed all they are saying is that they made minor tweaks to the cortex a8 architecture to acheive the higher clockspeed. Most of the info i have came from the FCC reports when a new chip is submitted for FCC approval.

personally i think the droid will be able to process more using less power as it has a seperate graphics chip where as the snapdragon does not.

OP
thesandman51

thesandman51

Reaction score
Ok new quesiton.

Has there been any news about when/if we'll be able to put apps on the SD card? That seems to be the main thing holding apps back from being iphone level, so what's the deal?

Do you think they'll ever allow that?

Is it possible to do that now with a rooted phone?

dpw2atox

Reaction score
If you use App2SD i believe is the name and you have root, you can install and run apps off your SD card. Google stated in a "future Android release" you will be able to run apps off your SD card. The current thing holding this up is that Google wants to encrypt the apps on the SD card for piracy reasons.

As for increasing our RAM, I would love to be able to do this but I'd even settle for being able to create a small swap partition on our SD cards, I wonder if this would be even possible or not.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you use App2SD i believe is the name and you have root, you can install and run apps off your SD card. Google stated in a "future Android release" you will be able to run apps off your SD card. The current thing holding this up is that Google wants to encrypt the apps on the SD card for piracy reasons.

As for increasing our RAM, I would love to be able to do this but I'd even settle for being able to create a small swap partition on our SD cards, I wonder if this would be even possible or not.
Google did say that running apps off your SD card is coming. :) Was very happy to hear this during the Nexus launch Q&A!

OP
thesandman51

thesandman51

Reaction score

Google did say that running apps off your SD card is coming. :) Was very happy to hear this during the Nexus launch Q&A!

Ok good deal. I wonder how long of a wait it'll be though.

iPirate

Reaction score

Its not just about a faster processor though. It has twice as much ram as the droid, which should make a noticeable difference when multitasking using memory intensive apps.
Can't argue with the RAM aspect, but the problem is they never mention the RAM in the videos I've seen so it's basically saying the the processor is the only thing that accounts for the speed increase which isn't true. It wouldn't irk me as much if they included RAM in their statements; "The 1Ghz Sanpdragon processor and 512 RAM wil make the N1 pretty snappy when multitasking....etc..." vs "WOW...the 1Ghz Snapdragon Processor is SOOOO fast, it's blowing my mind...I think I'm gonna C**...uh...uh...aaaaahh" (ok so the second statement is a bit of a dramatization, but that's what I read whenever they get overly excited about the snapdragon processor).
Intel and AMD have been having this battle for the last 20(?) years...

dpw2atox

Reaction score
Don't forget the Droid also has a dedicated GPU while the Nexus One only has the snapdragon processor. This gives the Droid a huge advantage if things are optimized to use its GPU. I am crossing my fingers hoping that when Android 2.1 is released for the Droid, it uses the GPU for some of the 3d effects and the live wallpapers.

iPirate

Reaction score
Don't forget the Droid also has a dedicated GPU while the Nexus One only has the snapdragon processor. This gives the Droid a huge advantage if things are optimized to use its GPU. I am crossing my fingers hoping that when Android 2.1 is released for the Droid, it uses the GPU for some of the 3d effects and the live wallpapers.
I'm not sure if this is real, but GPU is going to be useful for high end games...

Unreal Engine 3 on the iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch 3rd Gen

[video=youtube;Pzts8tsKuHs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzts8tsKuHs[/video]

aristo1963

Reaction score
Beware some of the class 6 32 Gb cards coming out have been proven to be class4's,and very unreliable.I'm sure SanDisk will have a proper one soon.
Also from the Nexus Google notes it appears that our SD cards will soon be opened up so our phones can use the space for apps.:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

xxxh3llsangelxxx

Reaction score
First person to not have enough room for apps after 256mb of RAM, please post.

I actually used up mine within a year. Some of the apps out today are larger files, but i also use my phone like a computer that could be why. I have a droid 4, and its a fairly good phone but in all honesty when my contract is up on this one im considering going to the galaxy. I chose this one for the key pad, but i really wish there was a way to increase the RAM on this sucker, ive had to reset it numerous times......

mj5

Reaction score
As long as I know we can not expand the ram of phone. might be possible for experts who have done this before. I also want to know if there is any other solution for same.