Why the bionic's 512 mb of ram still rocks.

theidoctor

Reaction score
Ok so I'm no expert on this and thr closest thing I know about ram is more is better, unless your into gaming.

Now I hear so many people, even notable blogs, complaining about the lack of ram on or, but isn't the ram going to be 512 ddr2, which is desktop/ laptop ram? The others are mobile ram spefically designed for smaller devices.

Now i am not completely on moto's side, but i think they know enough to why they would only put 512 of ram on their high end phone while the droid x #2 comes out with more... and since we still havent unlocked the bootloader im guessing they have some guys that are pretty good at what they do.

Ok so besides that, i am thinking that the reason their battery is larger is because the ddr2 ram uses more power???? I could be wrong.

Does anyone have more ensight on this?

Afterall my first computer i built had 512 of ddr, celeron d processor, with a geforce 4600 i think. And it ran windows xp pretty smoothly for the first few months.

Droid101

Reaction score
Ok so I'm no expert on this and thr closest thing I know about ram is more is better, unless your into gaming.

Now I hear so many people, even notable blogs, complaining about the lack of ram on or, but isn't the ram going to be 512 ddr, which is desktop/ laptop ram? The others are mobile ram spefically designed for smaller devices.

Now i am not completely on moto's side, but i think they know enough to why they would only put 512 of ram on their high end phone while the droid x #2 comes out with more... and since we still havent unlocked the bootloader im guessing they have some guys that are pretty good at what they do.

Ok so besides that, i am thinking that the reason their battery is larger is because the ddr ram uses more power???? I could be wrong.

Does anyone have more ensight on this?

Afterall my first computer i built had 512 of ddr, celeron d processor, with a geforce 4600 i think. And it ran windows xp pretty smoothly for the first few months.

From what I know and read the RAM in the bionic is DDR2 the exact same in computers. DDR2 runs faster and more efficiently then the other types of RAM currently in phones. The battery isn't really larger because the ram uses more power it is mainly due to the fact I think motorola noticed 4G uses alot of power so they want you to be able to make it through the day unlike the TB. Also the Bionic screen is larger, thus using more power.

xier

Reaction score
Moto are a bunch of cheap bastards and cheap bastards skimp on ram.

OP
T

theidoctor

Reaction score
Ahh. DDR2 even better. I will make the changes in the thread. Also, good call for screen and 4g using battery. I guess we will find out when they come.

But still desktop ram in a phone is huge.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

illmatic636

Reaction score

Coming from someone with a DX and Xoom. Walking contradiction.

Agreed about the DDR ram Droid101, from what I read it will outperform most 1gig processors out there.

xier

Reaction score

Agreed about the DDR ram Droid101, from what I read it will outperform most 1gig processors out there.

Dx and three xooms to be accurate. Cheap bastards comment was somewhat toung and cheek. Atrix has the memory ... I don't see why moto did not do the same for the bionic other than as a cost savings. At this point I could care less about speed of said ram....just give me what the Atrix got.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
DDR2 wouldn't run twice as fast as DDR, although it can get twice the data rates, it also has double the latency, kind of a tradeoff there... the one area that DDR2 will outshine the DDR RAM is in power consumption due to less voltage required = less battery usage necessary... So my thinking is that the TBolts 1 Gig of DDR will be a much faster than the Bionics 512 Meg of DDR2, but the Bionics battery will in all likelihood last quite a huge bit longer... jmho ... this is all just my interpretation

illmatic636

Reaction score

Dx and three xooms to be accurate. Cheap bastards comment was somewhat toung and cheek. Atrix has the memory ... I don't see why moto did not do the same for the bionic other than as a cost savings.

hahaha. True. But the Attrix has 512 reserved for the laptop dock, so basically the same as Bionic.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I am sure the phone is going to be great, but would you be willing to pay $249 or $299 for it? I am sure that it will not cost less than the Thunderbolt, but jusdging from Moto's pricing on the Xoom, I can bet they are going to charge more.

joeybarclay

Reaction score

Dx and three xooms to be accurate. Cheap bastards comment was somewhat toung and cheek. Atrix has the memory ... I don't see why moto did not do the same for the bionic other than as a cost savings.

hahaha. True. But the Attrix has 512 reserved for the laptop dock, so basically the same as Bionic.

Didn't moto say that they were going to put the laptop thing in the bionic too?

OP
T

theidoctor

Reaction score
So thunderbolt uses ddr ram? I guess i havent been reading up on these phones as much.

Ok.

Thanks for the replies guys

Btw. It would be nice for it to be a little more than 512 but no complaints here. Im sure the community here will be able to speed things up with the roms wink wink

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BeerManMike

Reaction score

Didn't moto say that they were going to put the laptop thing in the bionic too?

Something about it coming to all smart phones that are released after June? but don't quote me on that, it's assumed and most likely it will come to the Bionic. And who says it's going to be the exact dock the Atrix uses, couldn't the dock have 512mb or even 1gb of DDR2 build into the dock that the Bionic uses when docked?

steazy26

Reaction score
I am sure the phone is going to be great, but would you be willing to pay $249 or $299 for it? I am sure that it will not cost less than the Thunderbolt, but jusdging from Moto's pricing on the Xoom, I can bet they are going to charge more.

But, AT&T priced the Atrix at $150 unless I'm mistaken...if that is true, don't you think Motorola wouldn't want Verizon to price it higher than the Tbolt to stay competitive especially if they didn't price their only other 4G phone that's essentially the same as the Droid Bionic. I think it's unlikely they'll price a phone the same as the Xoom...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

kptphalkon

Reaction score
All smartphones use LPDDR, Low Power ddr which is smaller sized and more like old SDRAM than conventional DDR.

This isnt the ddr2 you find in a computer, it is called (believe it or not) LP DDR2. It offers similar functionality, it works slightly different, and like comparing ddr to ddr2, it uses less power than its predecessor. The guy talking about latency is correct, but the latency is higher so that commands and access dont get muddled from the faster speed. Its not a bad thing.