1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Is it possible to expand the RAM?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by thesandman51, Jan 6, 2010.

1. thesandman51

thesandman51 New Member

I guess I don't know too much about phones.

Would it be possible to put 512 in this puppy, so people won't feel so bad about not having an N1?

And while we're on the subject of upgrading hardware, would it be possible to get the Snapdragon chip from the N1 and put it in the droid? If so, would you just need to root your droid to make use of that power since you can control the processor speed?
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Answer to both questions....
    Nope....Not without some mad hacking.....Doubt it can happen.
  3. thesandman51

thesandman51 New Member

Damn, I wish I was a mad hacker.
  4. coolkidd

coolkidd New Member

The real question is how much apps would have installed to fill up the 256MB available for apps? Does anyone already filled up his Droid that you cannot install apps anymore?

Just wondering....
  5. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i wish i had more ram. i hope something comes out soon so i can make a swap file on my sd card
  6. gloster

gloster New Member

Ditto to tk -- I'd like a 32GB microSD card. I don't mind the built-in RAM limit (er, yet)
  7. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

First person to not have enough room for apps after 256mb of RAM, please post.
  8. garrett

garrett New Member Theme Developer Developer

dont let the numbers fool you.... the snapdragon 1ghz isnt much if any faster then the cortex a8 550mhz.

The current Snapdragons that clock over 600Mhz are definitively based on Cortex A8 cores. Qualcomm was able to get an architecture license from ARM. So the 1ghz snapdragon is almost identical to the Cortex A8 except they have added more pipeline stages to get the extra clock speed. From what i understand the cache size is identical in both chips.

in case you dont know the snapdragon 1ghz is in the N1 while the Droid has an ARM Cortex A8
  9. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

i think some older phones were modded with extra RAM... not sure exactly
  10. meekless

meekless New Member

i havent even come close to using all the ram on the droid, and doubt that i will.

on another note, where can you find a 32GB micro card. i have tried online and can only locate 16GB. i have also heard there are different speed micro cards and the one shipped with the Droid in on the slower end.

thanks for any info!

i love my droid and cannot wait for 2.1
  11. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

there are no 32gb microSD cards yet...
  12. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

They need to post this somewhere because I can't even count many people/tech reviewers are making it sound like the Nexus 1 is leaps and bounds faster than the Droid just because the clock speed is 550 Mhz vs 1Ghz. It's almost like false advertising and irks me a little. :mad: while on paper is seems like it's a lot faster but in real life performances they are actually very similar. :/
  13. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

The way the marketplace is right now its not easy to fill the 256mb but that's because devs know all we have is 256mb, there are hundreds, probably thousands of iphone apps that are 100+mb, the depth and quality of apps would greatly increase with the ability to install them on the sd card, for android to truly flourish it has to be able to compete at the same level as iphone apps and google knows that, that's why they are going to be working on getting apps on the sd card
  14. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Its not just about a faster processor though. It has twice as much ram as the droid, which should make a noticeable difference when multitasking using memory intensive apps.
  15. zackplanet42

zackplanet42 New Member

this may make me sound like a dick but i have to say it. All of you are actually not talking about RAM, you're talking about ROM. ROM is where the actual android os is installed as well as all applications. RAM is memory used by the system to temporarily store variables and other data while running processes and apps. just clarifying.
  16. garrett

if this info was widely available to the masses it would kill the hype surrounding the nexus one..... thus lower sales.
  17. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Exactly. Very big difference. The amount of rom doesn't bother me or make a difference with performance. The nexus one has twice the amount of RAM compared to the droid, which is part of what makes it snappier than the droid. There's nothing we can do about that.
  18. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

Can't argue with the RAM aspect, but the problem is they never mention the RAM in the videos I've seen so it's basically saying the the processor is the only thing that accounts for the speed increase which isn't true. It wouldn't irk me as much if they included RAM in their statements; "The 1Ghz Sanpdragon processor and 512 RAM wil make the N1 pretty snappy when multitasking....etc..." vs "WOW...the 1Ghz Snapdragon Processor is SOOOO fast, it's blowing my mind...I think I'm gonna C**...uh...uh...aaaaahh" (ok so the second statement is a bit of a dramatization, but that's what I read whenever they get overly excited about the snapdragon processor).
  19. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

is this actually true? i mean, i believe you, but that makes me feel alot better.
  20. garrett

unfortunatly it is.... the main reason you will see that the n1 is faster is the fact it has double the ram of the droid. 512 instead of 256.

they arent coming out and saying what they changed all they are saying is that they made minor tweaks to the cortex a8 architecture to acheive the higher clockspeed. Most of the info i have came from the FCC reports when a new chip is submitted for FCC approval.

personally i think the droid will be able to process more using less power as it has a seperate graphics chip where as the snapdragon does not.
Search tags for this page

add more ram android

add more ram to android phone

add more ram to phone

add ram to droid

add ram to droid x

android ram upgrade

droid ram
droid x ram upgrade
extend ram android
how to add more ram to an android phone

how to add more ram to android