Is it possible to expand the RAM?

thesandman51

Reaction score
I guess I don't know too much about phones.

Would it be possible to put 512 in this puppy, so people won't feel so bad about not having an N1?

And while we're on the subject of upgrading hardware, would it be possible to get the Snapdragon chip from the N1 and put it in the droid? If so, would you just need to root your droid to make use of that power since you can control the processor speed?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Answer to both questions....
Nope....Not without some mad hacking.....Doubt it can happen.

coolkidd

Reaction score
The real question is how much apps would have installed to fill up the 256MB available for apps? Does anyone already filled up his Droid that you cannot install apps anymore?

Just wondering....

tktouch12

Reaction score
i wish i had more ram. i hope something comes out soon so i can make a swap file on my sd card

gloster

Reaction score
Ditto to tk -- I'd like a 32GB microSD card. I don't mind the built-in RAM limit (er, yet)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
First person to not have enough room for apps after 256mb of RAM, please post.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
dont let the numbers fool you.... the snapdragon 1ghz isnt much if any faster then the cortex a8 550mhz.

The current Snapdragons that clock over 600Mhz are definitively based on Cortex A8 cores. Qualcomm was able to get an architecture license from ARM. So the 1ghz snapdragon is almost identical to the Cortex A8 except they have added more pipeline stages to get the extra clock speed. From what i understand the cache size is identical in both chips.

in case you dont know the snapdragon 1ghz is in the N1 while the Droid has an ARM Cortex A8

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think some older phones were modded with extra RAM... not sure exactly

meekless

Reaction score
i havent even come close to using all the ram on the droid, and doubt that i will.

on another note, where can you find a 32GB micro card. i have tried online and can only locate 16GB. i have also heard there are different speed micro cards and the one shipped with the Droid in on the slower end.

thanks for any info!

i love my droid and cannot wait for 2.1

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
there are no 32gb microSD cards yet...

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
dont let the numbers fool you.... the snapdragon 1ghz isnt much if any faster then the cortex a8 550mhz.

The current Snapdragons that clock over 600Mhz are definitively based on Cortex A8 cores. Qualcomm was able to get an architecture license from ARM. So the 1ghz snapdragon is almost identical to the Cortex A8 except they have added more pipeline stages to get the extra clock speed. From what i understand the cache size is identical in both chips.

in case you dont know the snapdragon 1ghz is in the N1 while the Droid has an ARM Cortex A8
They need to post this somewhere because I can't even count many people/tech reviewers are making it sound like the Nexus 1 is leaps and bounds faster than the Droid just because the clock speed is 550 Mhz vs 1Ghz. It's almost like false advertising and irks me a little. :mad: while on paper is seems like it's a lot faster but in real life performances they are actually very similar. :/

Newton122189

Reaction score
First person to not have enough room for apps after 256mb of RAM, please post.

The way the marketplace is right now its not easy to fill the 256mb but that's because devs know all we have is 256mb, there are hundreds, probably thousands of iphone apps that are 100+mb, the depth and quality of apps would greatly increase with the ability to install them on the sd card, for android to truly flourish it has to be able to compete at the same level as iphone apps and google knows that, that's why they are going to be working on getting apps on the sd card

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

They need to post this somewhere because I can't even count many people/tech reviewers are making it sound like the Nexus 1 is leaps and bounds faster than the Droid just because the clock speed is 550 Mhz vs 1Ghz. It's almost like false advertising and irks me a little. :mad: while on paper is seems like it's a lot faster but in real life performances they are actually very similar. :/

Its not just about a faster processor though. It has twice as much ram as the droid, which should make a noticeable difference when multitasking using memory intensive apps.

zackplanet42

Reaction score
this may make me sound like a dick but i have to say it. All of you are actually not talking about RAM, you're talking about ROM. ROM is where the actual android os is installed as well as all applications. RAM is memory used by the system to temporarily store variables and other data while running processes and apps. just clarifying.