is Google aware of the maps 4.2 issues?

snappingfish

Reaction score
nope

Mine was off by a good amount after the update. I did a reboot and it's been working great ever since.

Seems like my Maps app used to hit my home right-on, WITHOUT GPS being on, but since the last upgrade, it has missed my home by at least 5-6 miles!

If I turn on GPS, it still spots me right here but with GPS off, its lost!

Do you have WiFi on? Try turning it off and see if it's still off by that much. I believe maps tries to use WiFi mac addresses for locations as well now but is far from accurate yet.

no wifi, no gps...I guess before the update, it picked me up by tower locations (?) or some other mystical way lol.

I thought it might have spotted me via my contact (home).

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
same here as everyone else i use GPS almost daily and its extremely accurate.

its just as accurate then the built in GPS in my Audi.

Not a VW? :)

(I know VW owns Audi but that doesn't count)

lol yeah i actually have built in navi in both a VW GTI and a Audi A4 its actually the same system in both.

nooter99

Reaction score
My maps app is almost useless! Even has a window pop up briefly when activated that says "accurate within 1300 meters" Isn't that an oxymoron? When driving, it is either showing me 2 miles away or 3 miles back from where I came! BTW, I live in the burbs of a major metropolitan area, mostly homes, 1-2 story buildings, or wide open freeways.

RobertHaw

Reaction score
I've found that any time there is a Map update, you really have to power cycle the phone. I'll almost never lock for me after an Maps update if I don't power cycle.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've found that any time there is a Map update, you really have to power cycle the phone. I'll almost never lock for me after an Maps update if I don't power cycle.

One of the most interesting things I've seen on this thread. Probably an excellent idea.