So Google Maps cannot pinpoint my location....

Pinja

Reaction score
OK I am trying to get Google Maps to find me but it cannot do it. It is searching for my location and currently has me located at a spot about a mile from my house and has been in the same spot for the last day or 2. I have force closed Google Maps, restarted my phone, nothing. It gives directions fine but GPS cannot locate me. What should I do to fix this?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Dumb question but it Both locate by GPS and Cell Towers on?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Often, when I turn my maps on, the blue pointer is off but it corrects itself.

OP
P

Pinja

Reaction score
I have both wireless networks and GPS satellites on to locate me and still has me as a mile from where I actually am

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK I am trying to get Google Maps to find me but it cannot do it. It is searching for my location and currently has me located at a spot about a mile from my house and has been in the same spot for the last day or 2. I have force closed Google Maps, restarted my phone, nothing. It gives directions fine but GPS cannot locate me. What should I do to fix this?

Are you on 2.1? I think a battery pull might be a good idea. 30 seconds to allow capacitors to discharge.

OP
P

Pinja

Reaction score

Are you on 2.1? I think a battery pull might be a good idea. 30 seconds to allow capacitors to discharge.

I'm gonna try this real quick

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had this problem once before at my house. While in my basement, Google Maps (with GPS enabled) could not pin point me. After walking upstairs and outside, it managed to sort it out and find me. Maybe you're experiencing a similar situation....

mjs31

Reaction score
HookBill and Martin have good points. Always try the battery pull first. If that doesn't work then it is possible your GPS is not getting many satellites and therefore not able to pin point you. I assume you are outdoors in clear line of site? I have yet to have a single issue with gps not picking me up to within a few meters.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
HookBill and Martin have good points. Always try the battery pull first. If that doesn't work then it is possible your GPS is not getting many satellites and therefore not able to pin point you. I assume you are outdoors in clear line of site? I have yet to have a single issue with gps not picking me up to within a few meters.
this was my issue being in the basement :)

I did do a battery pull before I walked outside as well.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're still having problems, download the "GPS Status" app. You might also try the "Compass" app. Each calibrates your location using the GPS.

OP
P

Pinja

Reaction score
Just pulled the battery and still no dice. I am 2.1 and not rooted. Oh well it works everywhere else fine so I guess since it only happens at my house I can deal with it or I'll keep trying other ways to help fix it. Thanks for the help everyone!

OP
P

Pinja

Reaction score
Did you just get the update. My troubles started after getting the update yesterday..

I got it Monday morning when I woke up to go to school. Everything else works perfectly fine (although live wallpapers do slow the animations down some but not enough to bug me).

biskit_earl

Reaction score
I've had similar issues before and after the update. Google Navigation has no problem, especially when I am in the car, but on the regular maps, it tends to show me a mile or so away from where I am (usually inside)

To remedy this, I disabled "use wireless networks" under location and security settings. Works pretty well. Your best bet is to disable wireless networks outside, and use them inside.

On a similar topic, I can't seem to figure out how Latitude updates on the maps... It will show me a mile away from where I am, and show girlfriend on the other side of town, even though she is sitting next to me with maps open. Any suggestions?

Also, please remember that alot of these features and/or technologies are still in beta. GPS by wireless network is pretty new, and it needs a lot of work before it is where verizon, google, and motorola want it to be.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just pulled the battery and still no dice. I am 2.1 and not rooted. Oh well it works everywhere else fine so I guess since it only happens at my house I can deal with it or I'll keep trying other ways to help fix it. Thanks for the help everyone!

It frequently can't find me in my house. Just so long as it does it's job when I'm driving, I'm fine. :)