Google maps

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues with google maps? Under settings satellite and wireless are checked. Problem is it can't find my location and my navigation keeps saying searching for GPS signal. I was outside and let it search for 20 mins. Nothing. Any ideas or is my phone messed up? May need to take it back. I bought the Droid for the GPS navigation. Any suggestions? Nexus One is sounding so good. Only if VZW had it already.

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
just checked mine right now and its seems to be working just fine

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Occasionally it can take awhile for the Droid to acquire satellites. One thing that really speeds this process up (at least for me) is rotating the phone on it's axes. Think 3-D figure-eight. My Droid usually finds it's location within a few seconds after that. Might want to give that a try.

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues with google maps? Under settings satellite and wireless are checked. Problem is it can't find my location and my navigation keeps saying searching for GPS signal. I was outside and let it search for 20 mins. Nothing. Any ideas or is my phone messed up? May need to take it back. I bought the Droid for the GPS navigation. Any suggestions? Nexus One is sounding so good. Only if VZW had it already.

had the same problem today.
wrong location & coudn't find a gps signal after a long search outside.
hmmm.... maybe its a google thing.

my problem happened around 10:45 est

Technoman

Reaction score

Do you "force start" the GPS (Start Maps and have it tell you that your GPS is not enabled, and have it take you to the control panel to enable?

I have found that when I do it that way, it takes a VERY long time for the GPS to acquire a signal. However, if I start the GPS first from the settings or power widget, and then go to maps it is almost instantaneous.

Try it out and let me know if you have the same indications.

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
I never force start it. My GPS stays on all the time. Mine happened around 6pm yesterday but have been having this issue for about 2 weeks. Since the last maps update from market.

JimmyD

Reaction score
:frown: Well, it finally happened to me as well.

I have used Google Maps and Google Navigation on my Moto Droid every week day since I bought my Droid in early January.

This morning, I got in my car, turned on my Droid and clicked on one of my Navigation shortcut icons I have on my home screen.

The result for over 30 minutes was Searching for GPS!

This has never happened to me! My GPS satellite is ALWAYS ON. I have NOT updated Google Maps to the most current version specifically because of all the negative comments about losing GPS Location issues!

I tried a shut down / restart on the phone and still had the same issue. I'm not sure what to do now. I truly rely on the Navigation feature for work while traveling to client sites! This is a huge problem for me.

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Mine happened after the last update. I even went in and removed updates, still no luck. Now sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I need more reliability. I use it ALOT for work trips. Mine seemed to have started after this google buzz crap.

Guurzak

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, were you running your windshield wipers when you encountered this issue?

Does RAIN, SNOW, or CLOUDS affect reception of GPS signals?

1) Does RAIN or SNOW or CLOUDS affect the reception of my GPS receiver?
Answer: No. Not so as the user can tell without instrumentation.

2) I notice that when it rains and I turn on my windshield wipers my GPS has trouble locking. Doesn't this mean that rain affects my GPS reception?
Answer: No. What is affecting your GPS signal reception is the fact that the wipers running back and forth across your windshield is intermittently blocking reception and making it difficult for your GPS to get a complete navigation data string. Turning off your wipers until the signal locks will speed the initial lock.

JimmyD

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, were you running your windshield wipers when you encountered this issue?

Does RAIN, SNOW, or CLOUDS affect reception of GPS signals?

1) Does RAIN or SNOW or CLOUDS affect the reception of my GPS receiver?
Answer: No. Not so as the user can tell without instrumentation.

2) I notice that when it rains and I turn on my windshield wipers my GPS has trouble locking. Doesn't this mean that rain affects my GPS reception?
Answer: No. What is affecting your GPS signal reception is the fact that the wipers running back and forth across your windshield is intermittently blocking reception and making it difficult for your GPS to get a complete navigation data string. Turning off your wipers until the signal locks will speed the initial lock.

Interesting information.

In my case, it's the exact OPPOSITE! I live in the suburbs of Chicago. We have had snow, rain and overcast days almost every day since I bought my Droid.

Today was a rare clear-sky, sunny morning! No clouds, no snow, no rain.... alas... NO GPS!?!?! :frown:

After I click on the "Submit Reply" button to post my comments, I'm going to go outside and see if I have a signal again. If not, I'm going to try rotating my Droid around in figure eight patterns to see if that helps shake the GPS / accelerometer hardware "awake" (as some have suggested to try in other threads).

I'll let you guys know the results.

PSUBill

Reaction score
I had the same issues last month. I found that one of the apps I downloaded that used google maps, was causing the issue. Once I uninstalled the app, google maps and the navigation started to work again. I believe the app that was giving me the problems was called Precisely.

Scribble

Reaction score
Did you try restarting your phone?

Once I lost signal, and had to restart before it picked it up again. Not sure why. haven't had the issue since either.

Also, the last time you used the GPS in some way, did you happen to be far away from where you tried just recently?

I don't know if it's the same with this GPS, but on another stand alone GPS I had, sometimes if you turned the unit off, and then back on a distance from the last point, it would take a while to find the new location... Apparently sometimes they "save" your location to help it aquire the signal again when you turn it back on... Except if you're far from that point it has to first figure out that it's no longer near that point and then go through the task of finding where it actually is...

Shrug.

Finally... GPS is weird. It's not really that strong of a signal, so almost anything can interfear with it. I've had a GPS lose signal in the middle of middle america, on a sunny day on a wide open highway. Sunspots? Attack from China? :p Who knows.

JimmyD

Reaction score
....I'm going to go outside and see if I have a signal again. If not, I'm going to try rotating my Droid around in figure eight patterns to see if that helps shake the GPS / accelerometer hardware "awake" (as some have suggested to try in other threads).

I'll let you guys know the results.

Damn... same results. "Searching for GPS..." :(

JimmyD

Reaction score
I had the same issues last month. I found that one of the apps I downloaded that used google maps, was causing the issue. Once I uninstalled the app, google maps and the navigation started to work again. I believe the app that was giving me the problems was called Precisely.

:icon_eek: Hmmmm.... interesting!

I'll have to review my downloaded apps and see which ones utilize the GPS location.

However, I haven't really added any new apps in the past few days, but then again, maybe I updated an app or two that could be the issue.

Back to the lab!

Daywalker

Reaction score
If I throw mine really far strait up when it comes down it has found the satilites