1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

is Google aware of the maps 4.2 issues?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by hashsi99, May 16, 2010.

1. hashsi99

hashsi99 New Member

Pinch and zoom works, but my location is off at least 50% of the time. I have to keep closing out and going back in to get a closer location.

Had no problem with this before the update. Anybody else having similar problems?

Google please fix.
  2. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

Mine's about as accurate as any GPS I've used, not perfect but within 5-15 feet or so on average.

Any chance you're in an area with poor GPS reception? Downtown highrises, heavily wooded canopies, etc?
  3. Gkope

Gkope New Member

No problems here. Still very accurate like always.
  4. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

I use GPS every day with no issues after the update. Power off/on has always solved my location issues. Others have said moving the phone in a figure 8 motion helps.
  5. hashsi99

hashsi99 New Member

I've powered on and off and it seems to help, as does the moving the phone around. The problem isn't all the time, just some of the time. I'm in open areas, where it was dead on before the update. Maybe it'll work itself out....i hope.
  6. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

It may be the maps themselves. Google now relies on public maps (e.g. census bureau maps) so there are a lot of places (least in TN, VA, and NC) where the maps themselves are just crap and/or not calibrated well with the GPS. I've routinely compared it w/Tom Tom and while the GPS coordinates are exactly the same the Google Map will show me 1/2+ mile away from where the TomTom map says....
  7. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

I have had no problems with getting satellite locks and my location is spot on, as is navigation. I do have the problem of pinch/zoom being really wacky. Fortunately, I don't need it so much and the zoom buttons work ok.
  8. takeshi

takeshi New Member

No problems here. Don't assume that the inability of your GPS receiver to obtain a fix is necessarily due to Google Maps.

Have you tried downloading GPS Status to see if your receiver can obtain a fix using another app?
  9. garrett

garrett Beta Team Theme Developer Developer

same here as everyone else i use GPS almost daily and its extremely accurate.

its just as accurate then the built in GPS in my Audi.
  10. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

Not a VW? :)

(I know VW owns Audi but that doesn't count)
  11. snappingfish

snappingfish New Member

me too

They miss my location by about 5 miles, after the update. I emailed maps and got an auto-blab. Hoping they get it fixed!
  12. oatmealboy

oatmealboy New Member

The issues I have seen since updating to maps 4.2 are only with Google Maps Navigation. It takes much longer than usual to get a lock on my location. I live in a city where there are hardly any tall buildings around, and it's been sunny and clear. I tried to use Navigation to get to a friend's house just yesterday, and the app never got a lock on my location. I ended up getting to my destination without Navigation ever locking onto my location.

I have the GPS Status app, and according to this app, my phone has no trouble picking up satellites.
  13. grapeape3311

grapeape3311 New Member

Mine was off by a good amount after the update. I did a reboot and it's been working great ever since.
  14. snappingfish

snappingfish New Member

used to be - - -

Seems like my Maps app used to hit my home right-on, WITHOUT GPS being on, but since the last upgrade, it has missed my home by at least 5-6 miles!

If I turn on GPS, it still spots me right here but with GPS off, its lost!
  15. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

Do you have WiFi on? Try turning it off and see if it's still off by that much. I believe maps tries to use WiFi mac addresses for locations as well now but is far from accurate yet.
  16. snappingfish

snappingfish New Member

nope

no wifi, no gps...I guess before the update, it picked me up by tower locations (?) or some other mystical way lol.

I thought it might have spotted me via my contact (home).
  17. garrett

garrett Beta Team Theme Developer Developer

lol yeah i actually have built in navi in both a VW GTI and a Audi A4 its actually the same system in both.
  18. nooter99

nooter99 New Member

My maps app is almost useless! Even has a window pop up briefly when activated that says "accurate within 1300 meters" Isn't that an oxymoron? When driving, it is either showing me 2 miles away or 3 miles back from where I came! BTW, I live in the burbs of a major metropolitan area, mostly homes, 1-2 story buildings, or wide open freeways.
  19. RobertHaw

RobertHaw New Member

I've found that any time there is a Map update, you really have to power cycle the phone. I'll almost never lock for me after an Maps update if I don't power cycle.
  20. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

One of the most interesting things I've seen on this thread. Probably an excellent idea.