Is Blur really that awful?

kookk

Reaction score
I'm deciding between a Dinc2 and DX2 and pretty much the only thing keeping me from deciding is negative comments about blur.

I have used an OG droid (current phone), and messed with an evo 4g and a droid x so I don't have extensive use of either sense or blur, but sense seemed waaay smoother and user friendly than blur.

I've heard blur can slow your phone down, I don't want a dual core processor if it is laggy because of Blur, it defeats the purpose.
I will almost positively use launcher pro if I get an X2, but I don't know if that will necessarily help

I just want a phone that can smoothly do every day tasks with minimal hangups, while running a live wallpaper. I'm a big advocate of the fact that specs on paper, and how the phone actually runs are two different things.

so I guess my question is - is blur enough of a hindrance that getting a less powerful HTC device would be the better decision?

In short, I just want a phone that does what I need it to.

Last edited:

BodyBagz

Reaction score
It would be easy for me to just tell you that No, Blur isnt that bad...but, to do so I would have to differentiate between the Blur on Froyo and the Blur on GB...because they arent the same animal...same lineage though.

I didnt like the Froyo version of Bllur...it just didnt respong quickly, and was in fact pretty laggy at times. That was cured with Launcher Pro...and opened up customization accordingly.

Now, with the Gingerbread OS, Blur has been scaled back a bit, as well as being optimized, and in my experience, it runs better than the Froyo version without a doubt. But, its a moot point because I still use LPP as my default launcher because it does more than the stock launcher coupled with Blur.

I like Sense, as I came to Android from an HTC Touch...it is a nice UI...but it would not make me base my phone purchase directly on it...or the lack of it. Best thing to do is go to a store and lay hands on each phone...and preferably phones that arent display models as they will have been fingered to death by Joe Blow...:)

Beka27

Reaction score
Blur can be covered up pretty easily by a variety of launcher replacements. So, in my mind, it doesn't matter a whole lot. I would be more concerned over the other internal specs and the hardware.

I personally prefer Moto hardware. Samsung looks like the toy cell phone my kid used to have, and HTC... the build is okay... but not great.

( ^Again, all my opinion.)

patfactorx

Reaction score
Some features of Blur are nice. Use titanium backup and freeze the Blur stuff u don't like. Also get ADW Launcher

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score
I'm not sure about Sense, but as soon as I got my Droid 2 I got rid of the Blur. Way too laggy and just frigging ugly.

Sent from my Liberated Droid 2

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The blur the Droids use is fine IMO and the fact that the X2 useses the newer one is better.

IMO I prefer the Droid blur to sense.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've yet to try gb blur, but on froyo, ill go blurless any day. To each his/her own though.

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Blur is simply a custom rom in the same way cyanogen or bugless beast is. In short, if you do a lot of social networking you should enjoy blur, if you don't you will hate it because it is wasted RAM.

People often confuse Blur with Bloatware (Amazon, Bing, Slacker, etc). They are not one in the same.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I say go try blur for your self and see. Go to the store and play with it. Personally I didnt find blur to be a nuisance. Not a big social networker, but I still enjoyed using it. I use Liberty Rom now. It does not have blur, but facebook still integrates atleast giving you contact pictures, and by tapping the contact pic you can launch facebook app and go right to the persons profile. Plus if you dont like blur, but like the phone itself, theres always going to be blurless roms. They may not be AOSP but blurless none the less.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I personally cant stand it. The froyo blur atleast is insanely buggy, causes random reboots on stock, and is just generally bad in my opinion. I've heard GB blur is much better but i havent personally used it.

I personally would go for the DInc2. It will have better dev support. I also wont buy another Moto phone as long as they continue to lock them down but thats just me....