Blur on the D3

Darksthour

Reaction score
So I have been giving blur a chance on my Droid3 for a week or so. I was using GoLauncher and ADW ex on it to try and get that stock and honeycomb look I have been missing. One night though I decided to give blur a chance and so far I actually really like it. The ability to move apps and widgets around the screen without having to delete one from the screen is amazing. I can't believe other Home launcher apps don't have this as an option. My main problem is a few things. I like having a 5x4 lineup for my icons for more room, the redraw and sometimes the 3d effect is a little too much. The 5x4 I can live without and the 3d effect also isn't a big deal but the redraw kills me sometimes. It reminds me of running GB on my OG droid and makes me look for the "lock home into memory" setting. Anyone else know about this? Is it happening to everyone or do I have something running that's killing it? I would think some stock 2.3.4 with more ram and a dual-core processor would stop things like this. Sorry about the rant but I feel like I needed to say this.

Tepes

Reaction score
I feel you on the redraw. I gave the stock blur a week when I first got the phone and then when back to my Go Launcher. There are some really nice features, but the redraw was an annoying aspect that made me think of the GB on my OG as well.

Sent from my Hitchhiker's Guide mark 2

militant

Reaction score
I'm running launcher pro, and using the "Folder Organizer" app and have 6 "widget" folders that link to all my apps seperated by category, a 4x1 beautiful widget weather clock, circle battery widget, and a few other little widgets, all on my main homescreen, and I get about a .5-1 second redraw occasionally on the same 4 or 5 icons. It's really he only visually unpleasing thing about the phone.

Reaction score
I really like blur on the droid 3, the only thing killing me is the frequent redraw issue. If that were fixed, I could use blur permanently.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
Darksthour

Darksthour

Reaction score
I did try a switch from blur to a stock adw ex and i seem to be getting the same redraw. I like adw more than blur and go launcher however I got no redraw at all from go launcher. Makes me think if the redraw for that 1 second is worth over a home app I like more.

Reaction score
I love blur but hate the redraws but I also love the launchers but I loose the ability to use the cool contacts widget with them. I dont like to loose things that I like and use. So im just waiting for a bug fix update to see if it gets fixed the redraws I mean.

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
I love blur but hate the redraws but I also love the launchers but I loose the ability to use the cool contacts widget with them. I dont like to loose things that I like and use. So im just waiting for a bug fix update to see if it gets fixed the redraws I mean.

This is just a hunch, but I think you may have better luck waiting for Launcher Pro to support the Quick Contacts widget before Moto addresses the redraw, although I don't really know how active the LP guys are.

celtic11

Reaction score
What's redraw? Is that where I hit the home button and it takes half a second for everything to load?

gmorgan056

Reaction score
This is just a hunch, but I think you may have better luck waiting for Launcher Pro to support the Quick Contacts widget before Moto addresses the redraw, although I don't really know how active the LP guys are.

He's actually in the process of rewriting LP. I follow him on twitter. I think an update should be released soon.

@fedecarnales Federico Carnales

To those asking about the LP rewrite: I'm still working on it, almost every day. I'll post news as soon as there's any news to post. Thanks!

You can follow him here: Twitter

celtic11

Reaction score
Are you guys experiencing more redraw than I am or just less patient. Mine is never more than half a second where on my OG with group it was like 20 seconds. I've only had my d3 for a week so im hoping its not going to get worse.

Tepes

Reaction score
Are you guys experiencing more redraw than I am or just less patient. Mine is never more than half a second where on my OG with group it was like 20 seconds. I've only had my d3 for a week so im hoping its not going to get worse.

I don't believe it will get worse. It's sort of a game between what widgets you have and what apps you are coming out of that affect the redraw. For me, it was the worst when I was coming back from things like dolphin browser or a cpu intensive game. Plus I run a lot of things like fancy widget, facebook widget, biz calendar, etc. So for me, there tended to be a 15-20 second redraw with Blur. That's not to say I don't get any with Go Launcher, but it is far less frequent and takes only a few seconds, even running a lwp.

Markster1

Reaction score
HTC Sense on my Incredible 2 lets me move apps around but not quite as smooth as droid 3 does.

Sent from my Incredible 2

celtic11

Reaction score
I don't believe it will get worse. It's sort of a game between what widgets you have and what apps you are coming out of that affect the redraw. For me, it was the worst when I was coming back from things like dolphin browser or a cpu intensive game. Plus I run a lot of things like fancy widget, facebook widget, biz calendar, etc. So for me, there tended to be a 15-20 second redraw with Blur. That's not to say I don't get any with Go Launcher, but it is far less frequent and takes only a few seconds, even running a lwp.

Gotcha. Thanks. The only widget I use is the power widget so mine all loads up pretty fast. After my experience with the OG I can understand that being frustrating.

OP
Darksthour

Darksthour

Reaction score
So last night I was playing a game and it was getting a bit sluggish when playing. Then all of a sudden I got a reboot. Not too worried about the reboot I got used to them on my OG droid running Liquid so I'm used to it. But everything runs smoother. I would have to say then if your phone is slowing down just shut down and start up again. See if that helps with any problems. Yea it's a pain in the ass but I think it's something we will have to do until root is achieved.