Impressions for those who are running .902

sfcascooter

Reaction score
I know it's early... but

I have been running it for 5 hours now and my standard battery is at 55% -- with pretty heavy usage (4G on, Wifi connection) and some app downloading, some calls, many texts, lots of reading the forums -- this is much better than before (I am unrooted and was on .893 -- had the phone for 5 weeks so far on this go around).

No BSOD (I usually was getting one per day).

No random reboots (I was getting average of 2 per day).

Will know after the bus ride home in 1.5 hours how we did on data drops (had two places that were always an issue -- I will be streaming Netflix all the way home and will know if I get dreaded buffering).

Anyone else have some initial impressions?

BostonBill

Reaction score
Have only been running .902 for about a half hour but it looks pretty good so far. Before the update I had trouble maintaining a data connection. It would usually be 3g, occasionally 4g, many times no connection at all. I was stock, .893. Since the update it has been a steady 4g, albeit it has only been about a half hour :) If this keeps up I may go back to using it as a hotspot!

krameroid

Reaction score
After my 902 OTA my phone grew legs and kicked me in the balls.

Haven't noticed anything different other than MORE BLOATWARE ADDED. Mog and Slingbox. Lame!

Also pissed with the new Emergency Alerts app that come with 902. Presidential alerts are MANDATORY. I don't want any alert from Obama. It'll be a lie.

Besides that....running fine :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Cowpoke

Reaction score
902 give us anything besides bloat over 901?

Wondering if its worth it to update to 902 from 901 or just wait for whatever comes next.

Tonik

Reaction score

The radio in 902 is different than 901. I just got mine on 902 this morning so I can't tell you how much better if at all it is. I was very happy with 901.

dmbatcofc

Reaction score

Wondering if its worth it to update to 902 from 901 or just wait for whatever comes next.

My phone's performance is better overall... pretty sure either the radio and/or kernal are different than .901. Only bloat added over .901 was amazon mp3 and vcast app store. Your call, but I'd say do it. Simple solution to the "bloatware": don't open the apps. As for the Mog/Slingbox/Emergency alert.... I got all of those on the .901 update. I haven't had time to test battery, as I flashed the software while on the charger and just left it on all night.

bigtex52

Reaction score
My radio's stronger than ever and no data drops so far. Overall, other than the radio signal being stronger (-69dB) just as smooth and bug free as 901 was.

dpw2atox

Reaction score
I was originally on 901 with very few issues but I wanted to test the update so I rolled back to 893 (had to run FixCDT) but now I am on 902 and it is running very well. I wont know till later when I get to drive through some weak areas but it seems just as good if not better than 901.

CPKIII

Reaction score
If running stock BLUR.. Go To App screen and perform a search... See what happens. Just saying.

CPKIII

Reaction score
I've had that issue since the leaked 5.7.893... not the end of the world for me!

Interesting.. I did not have it with Stock 893.. Now do with 902...

However, I do normally run ADW, and do not have the issue.

My question is will Moto hold the update and fix this issue?

CPKIII

Reaction score
I have never done this before, has it always forced closed?

As I said.. I do not remember the issue with 893..

The person above has seen it on a leaked version. I think it may be new, or accruing again with this release.

Reaction score
I did a battery pull after 30 minutes from installing .902 manually and ever since then the phone is noticeably faster than when I was on .901. I think that may be because of the cleaned-out cache, but still, it's faster. I can't tell if the radio is an improvement because I use a network extender, so I'll test it later when I'm out. The extra bloat over .901 (Amazon MP3, MOG) was easily frozen so that's not an issue for me. I live in the NYC metro area so the Emergency Alerts stays. I hope it never goes off.

I'm also having the app drawer search jumble but it's of little consequence since I probably would not have used it. Other than that, the phone is still smoothly sailing. I was worried about .902 messing up my .901 install (which was working great), but so far it's been a bit faster. I'm happy. So far. dancedroid

Update: I just went outside, turned off WiFi, and switched to LTE (rather than straight CDMA, which I normally have on inside near the extender). Funny thing is happening: outside my 3G signal switched over to LTE reasonably quickly, and the signal strength showed -84 dBm rather than the usual -98 dBm. So far, so good. I'm now inside and sitting right next to the network extender. The phone says I'm still locked onto LTE but the signal strength is now at -60 dBm, which is unusual because the extender is for 3G, and even when sitting next to the extender I'm at something weaker than -60 dBm. When I unplugged the extender signal strength dropped to -95dBm, but still shows on LTE. So, I guess I can conclude that the radio is indeed stronger, I have increased signal strength, but the 3G signal from the extender somehow overrides the LTE signal but the phone doesn't show a switch to 3G.

Is it possible for the phone to be somehow "linked" to LTE while using the extender's 3G signal at the same time?

Last edited:

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
My signal has been hovering around -75dBm compared to -84dBm on. 893 but haven't been able to test signal handoff yet. Other than, bloat and more bloat that i promptly froze

Sent from my VTAB1008 using DroidForums