Impressions for those who are running .902

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
2THEXTRM,
Just curious, how are you measuring the signal strength,. or finding the reading? Been curious about that as our signal strength (I am assuming) is all over the board where I live. Thx.

Roger that, how do you get the dbm's?

Rooted and Hot Rodded running 5.9.902 DROID BIONIC

you can see the signal strength by going into Settings>About Phone>Status and it will be under Signal Strength

While that's a quick way of getting the signal strength, you can get even more information by dialing *#*#4636#*#* or install the free app Phone Info (which does the same thing).

Last edited:

deduct

Reaction score
Em, the bars have nothing to do with signal strength on 3G or 4G. The bars are signal strength of the phone.

Thats good to know.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know it's early... but

I have been running it for 5 hours now and my standard battery is at 55% -- with pretty heavy usage (4G on, Wifi connection) and some app downloading, some calls, many texts, lots of reading the forums -- this is much better than before (I am unrooted and was on .893 -- had the phone for 5 weeks so far on this go around).

No BSOD (I usually was getting one per day).

No random reboots (I was getting average of 2 per day).

Will know after the bus ride home in 1.5 hours how we did on data drops (had two places that were always an issue -- I will be streaming Netflix all the way home and will know if I get dreaded buffering).

Anyone else have some initial impressions?
in all honesty i havent seen much difference except that the UI is much more snappier

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
2THEXTRM,
Just curious, how are you measuring the signal strength,. or finding the reading? Been curious about that as our signal strength (I am assuming) is all over the board where I live. Thx.

I use an app called Clarus Signal, has a cool customizable widget!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

krameroid

Reaction score
My phone's performance is better overall... pretty sure either the radio and/or kernal are different than .901. Only bloat added over .901 was amazon mp3 and vcast app store. Your call, but I'd say do it. Simple solution to the "bloatware": don't open the apps. As for the Mog/Slingbox/Emergency alert.... I got all of those on the .901 update. I haven't had time to test battery, as I flashed the software while on the charger and just left it on all night.

Oh...so thats how to deal with bloat. Thx. :)

I was just *****in cuz moto should concentrate more on fixing our problems than shoving apps in our faces. Its not the first time a manufacture has done it and wont be the last. It's a good oppurtunity for them to make cash. If they would at least give us the option to uninstall the crap, I would be absolutely fine with it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd like to say that going to 4G is faster, but maybe that's not entirely due to .902.

Yesterday I decided to do the "pull sim card out, power up without it, power down and replace sim card" trick, but I accidently put the card in the wrong way. When I powered up, it said "No sim card" and I knew something was wrong. I put the card in the right way; the error message went away, but all I could get was 3G. I went to a place where 4G was always good and using Restart Connections all I got was the 4G icon (in white) for less than a second. I was sure I had fried my sim card.

I took it to the Verizon store and told them what I did and what had happened. They verified that the card was no good and swapped with another at no charge. 4G was up and running.

On the whole I'm glad I went to .902, but since I was on .901 there wasn't that much difference.

parton1080

Reaction score
Im getting warnings about security certs on multiple websites that i visit regularly after the902. Anyone else?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mikespe

Reaction score
Been updated since yesterday morning...SOOOOO Much better than 893! The dasta handoffs between wifi & 4g, 4g to 3g and back are perfect now! Barely a wait for them to switch. Camera is MUCH faster & the overall response of the phone is AMAZING! This is WHY I bought the Bionic! I don't have the app drawer problem...never had it on 893 either. PLUS I'm STILL rooted!!! (Forever root BEFORE you update!)

jimbarr

Reaction score
I went from the leaked .901 to the leaked .902 (I never got the soak update) and really haven't noticed much difference between .901 and .902.

.901 has been very stable and reliable, and so far, .902 appears to perform the same.

Battery life is unknown at this point. My Bionic has been off charge for about 3 hours, I've made a couple calls, but data is turned off, and it shows 100%. I am using Juice Defender as well. Typically, my usage is a couple calls during the day and a couple texts. 3G is on most of the day, WiFi on for a couple hours in the evening, and data is off at night. I typically get about 24-28 hours on the battery before it hits about 15% when I throw it on the charger.

So far, so good!dancedroid

nri1998

Reaction score
I noticed the unit has become little slow with 902 upgrade. No data drops until now, after the upgrade but too early to pass an opinion. Also, the browser won't open any pages for a while yesterday morning even though I saw a solid 4G data connection. It never happened before unless I had data drops. I had to reboot the unit. No browser problem at this time. Anyone suggestions on how to make the unit faster by removing unwanted applications?

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
You got a saddle on your local cell tower? :-o

If that is your regular signal strength, very nice, especially if your 4G speeds are in line with your signal.