904 Leak / 3G Radio Issues Among Other Things

CBMGGM

Reaction score
I am currently running the 904 leak since it hit about 3 weeks ago. I do notice a few things that I wasn't experiencing while on 902:

1) 3G radio is very sporadic; sometimes zero bars / no connectivity where I had at least three with 902 ( I live in the burbs West of Chicago)
2) LTE seems to be stronger but the 3G/LTE hand off is still lagging
3) Big hit on battery life; 12-14 hours on very light to moderate use; using factory extended battery. (used to have 28 hours plus.......)
4) BSOD is gone..... finally!!!!
5) Random reboots have become non-existent.

I am considering flashing back to 902 and waiting if the official OTA will scrub 904 one last time......

Thoughts anyone?

Craig

Imprezive

Reaction score
Yikes! Normally i jump at the chance to do an update but 902 has been so good all i care about is ics. Sorry for your inconvience possibly to get back to 902?

OP
CBMGGM

CBMGGM

Reaction score
Yep I'm with ya on the 902 experience. Actually it's not that bad going back to 902. Everyone has their own idea getting back to a stock build. I done the RSD lite flash often enough.... cleans the phone thoughout. I sometimes forget to pull the SD card prior to flashing; learned the hard way. I think I will join the ranks of 902 again and wait for ICS to hit hopefully before my one year warranty expires...... Who knows what bugs we might see when ICS hits our handsets

Batman8

Reaction score
I am currently running the 904 leak since it hit about 3 weeks ago. I do notice a few things that I wasn't experiencing while on 902:

1) 3G radio is very sporadic; sometimes zero bars / no connectivity where I had at least three with 902 ( I live in the burbs West of Chicago)
2) LTE seems to be stronger but the 3G/LTE hand off is still lagging
3) Big hit on battery life; 12-14 hours on very light to moderate use; using factory extended battery. (used to have 28 hours plus.......)
4) BSOD is gone..... finally!!!!
5) Random reboots have become non-existent.

I am considering flashing back to 902 and waiting if the official OTA will scrub 904 one last time......

Thoughts anyone?

Craig

Thanks for the info CBMGGM. I too am in the western suburbs of Chicago and I have been having TERRIBLE data connections on .902 within the last 2-3 weeks whereas before that it was actually pretty solid. I downloaded the .904 update but could not install it via recovery mode due to the error "E:signature verification failed" and although I posted this info here and reached out for help on how to get around this error, unfortunately no one has answered my call for help. Therefore I am still suffering about 7-9 data drops a day and sometimes more. Luckily, using the app "restart connections" usually gets 4G back, at least for a while, and then its back to 3G, 1x or NO "G"/signal at all.

The problem was getting so bad that I called both Verizon AND Motorola today and got some pretty disturbing news...the Motorola tech said that she knows nothing of a new .904 update and in fact the next software update that she knew of was going to be Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) which she said they are in the process of "TRYING" to find out "IF" it will work on our device (the Droid Bionic)! Obviously there are still some issues to iron out with ICS but I have always been told that it surely was coming to the Bionic, it was always just a matter of "When?". So now I hated to hear her sound so unsure about it.

I appreciate you posting the issues that you're currently experiencing with .904, although I was hoping more for it to maybe fix these data issues that I'm having and then I would be fine with waiting a while for ICS, assuming it's still coming to the Bionic. But now that I see your problems with it, I'm not sure if I should update to .904 or not (of course that's all based also on someone telling me how to get past my signature errors first).

So maybe take what the Moto tech said with a grain of salt, or if what she said was true and ICS turns out NOT to run well on the Bionic then .904 may be one of the last updates that we see for a while, and maybe that's why it was created...because ICS may not be on it's way after all. As I told her, I really hope they get things on track and we get ICS soon. I even keep trying to sign up to be one of the Moto soak testers but have not heard from Moto yet.

In conclusion, everyone keep your fingers, arms, legs, eyes and everything else crossed in hopes that we are lucky enough to see our highly anticipated ICS on the Bionic and soon!

Last edited:

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Yikes I haven't had any problems with 902 nor 904 at all. been running 904 for about two weeks now and it's been great. Battery life is fantastic, lasts me all day on my stock battery, 3g/4g are speedy and I never notice when it switches between them. Haven't had a random reboot or a BSOD or a data drop since 902 leaked way back when.
On the other hand, my wife's bionic has random rebooted on 902 twice in the last week, but those two times are the only times it's ever random rebooted (she thinks it has something to do with Draw Something, as both reboots happened while she was playing it).
I'm in Austin, TX, by the way.

Oh, and for your signature verification failure, you may have to just flash the 902 FXZ. It's not a big deal if you back up your phone with Titanium Backup, which you probably should be doing anyway!
What I had to do was:
Back up with TiBu
Flash 902 FXZ
boot to recovery, flash 904
restore with TiBu and -
Bionic's back to normal! TiBu makes it like I never flashed back to stock at all.
Look in the FXZ sticky in the main bionic forum for more info about how to flash the 902 fxz.
Really though, I don't see any significant difference between 902 and 904 except for marginally improved data connection. I just like to install the new stuff willie nillie.

km75

Reaction score
Thanks for the info CBMGGM. I too am in the western suburbs of Chicago and I have been having TERRIBLE data connections on .902 within the last 2-3 weeks whereas before that it was actually pretty solid. I downloaded the .904 update but could not install it via recovery mode due to the error "E:signature verification failed" and although I posted this info here and reached out for help on how to get around this error, unfortunately no one has answered my call for help. Therefore I am still suffering about 7-9 data drops a day and sometimes more. Luckily, using the app "restart connections" usually gets 4G back, at least for a while, and then its back to 3G, 1x or NO "G"/signal at all.

The problem was getting so bad that I called both Verizon AND Motorola today and got some pretty disturbing news...the Motorola tech said that she knows nothing of a new .904 update and in fact the next software update that she knew of was going to be Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) which she said they are in the process of "TRYING" to find out "IF" it will work on our device (the Droid Bionic)! Obviously there are still some issues to iron out with ICS but I have always been told that it surely was coming to the Bionic, it was always just a matter of "When?". So now I hated to hear her sound so unsure about it.

I appreciate you posting the issues that you're currently experiencing with .904, although I was hoping more for it to maybe fix these data issues that I'm having and then I would be fine with waiting a while for ICS, assuming it's still coming to the Bionic. But now that I see your problems with it, I'm not sure if I should update to .904 or not (of course that's all based also on someone telling me how to get past my signature errors first).

So maybe take what the Moto tech said with a grain of salt, or if what she said was true and ICS turns out NOT to run well on the Bionic then .904 may be one of the last updates that we see for a while, and maybe that's why it was created...because ICS may not be on it's way after all. As I told her, I really hope they get things on track and we get ICS soon. I even keep trying to sign up to be one of the Moto soak testers but have not heard from Moto yet.

In conclusion, everyone keep your fingers, arms, legs, eyes and everything else crossed in hopes that we are lucky enough to see our highly anticipated ICS on the Bionic and soon!

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get any assistance. First thing to consider is did you have your phones system apps all installed/unfrozen? If the phone was only rooted and you didn't delete or freeze any system apps then you might of had a bad download of the .904 update. You might want to try redownloading it again. Also be aware that there were two update zip files for.904. One from people coming from .901 and another one that was for people coming from .902. Be sure you download the appropriate zip file. As others have stated I too didn't really have any problems on .902. The one thing I did notice with .904 is the 3g-4g hand off is definitely a little quicker. Just be aware that the problem could also be because of your location and proximity to your respective Verizon tower. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
CBMGGM

CBMGGM

Reaction score
Thanks for all who chipped in today. We still share the love / hate relationship with our beloved BIONIC. If I personally do not see an ICS update by November I'm jumping ship...... There is only so much mumbo jumbo I will accept from Moto & VZW. Take care my friends.

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply/help KM75. My phone is only rooted and I didn't delete or freeze any of the stock/system apps so I was a bit confused by the error that I got...it's the first time I've seen that when going through an update. Therefore maybe you're right about having to re-download the update again.

By the way, do you happen to know where I can find the file that's needed to upgrade from .902? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again for the assistance!!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
That sucks. I've had nothing but great luck with 904. I've always had data drops on the bionic, and what not since I got it launch. Haven't on 904.

OP
CBMGGM

CBMGGM

Reaction score
May the force be with you tjk629!!!!! I will flash 902 tonight and see what happens.

km75

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply/help KM75. My phone is only rooted and I didn't delete or freeze any of the stock/system apps so I was a bit confused by the error that I got...it's the first time I've seen that when going through an update. Therefore maybe you're right about having to re-download the update again.

By the way, do you happen to know where I can find the file that's needed to upgrade from .902? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again for the assistance!!

Look around this forum or XDA developers forum. I believe I got it from the XDA forum. I still have the file on my notebook. Unfortunately I'm not home. But when I get home I will check this thread to see if you made any progress. If you can't find the appropriate file before then I will upload it and share the link with you.

Batman8

Reaction score
5.9.904 Update for Droid Bionic Leaked! - BIONIC - droidHIVE Forums

Give this a try Batman8 and let me know how it works out for you. Good luck.

Thanks again KM75 for the link and your quick response. However I still have 2 questions for you before I upgrade...

1.) Were you "For3ver Rooted" and if so, did you keep root after the .904 upgrade?

2.) Do you know by chance if this update takes you off the upgrade path for the next upgrade? I know I can use Motofail to reRoot and FXZ back to .902 for the next upgrade if necessary, but I'd still like to know exactly what I'm taking on.

Thanks.

km75

Reaction score
Thanks again KM75 for the link and your quick response. However I still have 2 questions for you before I upgrade...

1.) Were you "For3ver Rooted" and if so, did you keep root after the .904 upgrade?

2.) Do you know by chance if this update takes you off the upgrade path for the next upgrade? I know I can use Motofail to reRoot and FXZ back to .902 for the next upgrade if necessary, but I'd still like to know exactly what I'm taking on.

Thanks.

I was forever rooted. But I lost root. I immediately rooted the phone again using the MOTOFAIL hack. 6 minutes tops and your phone will be rooted again. If you are worried about losing root try using VOODOO ROOTKEEPER from the play store. That might enable you to not lose root. I can't confirm bcuz at the time I did the update I didn't know anything about the app. You can never say for sure whether or not you will be taken off the update path. As long as the leaked .904 is the final/official release I assume we should be fine. But as you said we can always FXZ back to .902 to get back on the upgrade path. Give it a try man. I'm pretty sure you will be glad you did. There is one house in particular that I frequent a lot and for some reason on .902 4g would never stay on. Location i guess. Always was losing data there. On .904 now I do have 4g (although not the strongest signal) and when the 4g does go out it immediately goes to 3g. No data toggling/airplane mode etc required or anything. For me it was definitely worth it.

Last edited:

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
The only issue I'm having with .904 is my 4g signal doesn't seem to be as strong, and isn't as fast...