Important LiMod poll. Please Vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanDroidX

Reaction score
I say use whatever your using now. My phone has never run as smooth as it is with LithiumMod.

I vote aosp but obviously there is some disagreement.

I too vote aosp, start anew and make it better than CM6.

AOSP would be the preference... I like the "pave your own way" statement made in an earlier post. You guys rock .

AOSP - Currently running Sapphire but wishing I had teh Lithium mods and goodies. Haven't had as good of experience with CM as Li or Sapphire.

JRummy, wouldn't you love if people were building roms from"LM" source, the source you started. I know you and the devs you work with are talented enough to make a ROM much better than CM6. CM6 runs really slow on my Droid and LiMOd is the fastest and smoothest available. I turned all my friends on to LiMod because it is just the best.
Stick with AOSP; going to CM6 would be a huge mistake (IMO).:greendroid:

SemperGumbee

Reaction score
Definitely AOSP. If someone wants a cyanogen remix, then they should just run cyanogen. I was an avid BB user until Kangerade and I haven't looked back. I love your source built stuff and I think your team definitely has what it takes to constuct an awesome, loyal following. I really don't like to constantly flash different ROMs once I find one developer that just works for me. One of my buddies turned me onto Kangerade and at first, I said that all of the stuff you did prior didn't run that well on my phone. This source built stuff is just awesome though.

Plus, you are the only developer that packages things so nicely upon release. You have so many options and you don't try to force people into using a set recipe.

AOSP yo...

Bdog

Reaction score
AOSP hands down.

Personally, I'm tired of seeing all these roms "based off CM source" and claiming to be source. It's not source, it's CM. As been stated so many times in this thread, if you want CM, get CM.

Also, why reinvent the wheel? Well.. A, this isn't the wheel, and B, this isn't the wheel. This is a completely different thing, and if you want to use a more accurate analogy, try putting a spoiler and shiny new rims on a Honda, and call it reinvented. It's still a Honda. Only difference is it's now a bloated Honda.

CM has some amazing features, I will give it that. It also drops down my full battery to 40% is I don't leave it plugged in overnight. How about creating your own things and being completely original, and maybe, since there's such a number of amazingly talented devs involved, take pleasure in one day other devs releasing "based off LM source."

Don't aim to do things CM has already done, but aim to do things a good ROM should do. If CM has already done it, congratulations, you've just done it differently. Now people will have two options to better suit their needs, instead of being stuck having to just settle with one.

I could seriously go on and on about why AOSP would be so much better (as I've inherited the same lecture gene BillyGalbreath has), but I won't bore any of you by adding on to my already long enough post.

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
i went aosp while i have a great deal of respect for aosp and cyan i feel though as a devo (im noobish at it ) you should do your own thing granted i love the combined effort of lithium and what everybody brought to the table for it

dr_Drache

Reaction score
I'm going to have to personally DISAGREE with most posts here.
CM, IMO is the way to start from. not saying stay CM, but the way I envision it, pull CM source, patch with LM .diff files, then build, then you'll have AOSP fixes, CM fixes, then the awesomeness of LM thrown on.

first, the "pave your own way" comment is sweet, till you realize your just picking and choosing who did the work for you. why don't you just start from the LINUX source? pave your own way!!!!!!

2nd, the "it's not source it's CM" also, technically INCORRECT again. it's modified source, but it's STILL SOURCE. (and it has 80% of the things you will add to it anyway, why waste your time, "fixing" what is already fixed? and spend your time adding features to LM, that obviously CM won't)

3rd, and to the people who claim CM drains your battery faster. I am willing to bet, you stay with the stock MV (medium volt) kernel, and no setCPU profiles. if your anti setCPU "overclocking? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!", just try a newer nightly cm6 build (the one from 8/7 is nice) and then compare, MOST of the battery "issues" come from the kernel.

there is freedom here, just like sahppire, and other source build roms, but the REAL question is, why do push for "doing your own thing", when you have a team? that's technically not anyone's "own thing" :p

I am willing to debate this, prove me wrong..... try it :p.

Blackbird

Reaction score
I'm going to have to personally DISAGREE with most posts here.
CM, IMO is the way to start from. not saying stay CM, but the way I envision it, pull CM source, patch with LM .diff files, then build, then you'll have AOSP fixes, CM fixes, then the awesomeness of LM thrown on.

first, the "pave your own way" comment is sweet, till you realize your just picking and choosing who did the work for you. why don't you just start from the LINUX source? pave your own way!!!!!!

2nd, the "it's not source it's CM" also, technically INCORRECT again. it's modified source, but it's STILL SOURCE. (and it has 80% of the things you will add to it anyway, why waste your time, "fixing" what is already fixed? and spend your time adding features to LM, that obviously CM won't)

3rd, and to the people who claim CM drains your battery faster. I am willing to bet, you stay with the stock MV (medium volt) kernel, and no setCPU profiles. if your anti setCPU "overclocking? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!", just try a newer nightly cm6 build (the one from 8/7 is nice) and then compare, MOST of the battery "issues" come from the kernel.

there is freedom here, just like sahppire, and other source build roms, but the REAL question is, why do push for "doing your own thing", when you have a team? that's technically not anyone's "own thing" :p

I am willing to debate this, prove me wrong..... try it :p.

Most every thing one can think of in today's world is completely drained of originality due to people like you. How's that?

Music, Art, ROMing (Kind of an art ;) ) etc. One person is original enough to find the next big thing and over night you have emulations riding their coattails. Sure, the first some odd group will be famous and consumers are happy enough, but as a whole it leads to unnoriginality and stagnation. So, you sir, are just arguing on technicalities.

Secondly, These Dev's are good. They know what they want to do with their ROM, and from the looks of this post as a whole, they mainly want what we want. Which really couldn't be more perfect. The source is just the foundation, but the modding could go any direction.

There's a million and 1 ways to code anything, maybe the modifications CM has already done will be completely tossed aside and reoptimized.

Plus from a gratification stand point, what would you feel better about? Putting a jigsaw puzzle together? or making your own mosaic from scratch?

they have a good sized dev team behind this project, and I think it's a given that CM Source will end up being referenced on something.

Plus, the vast majority voted AOSP, not really sure why as only a few have given a good reason, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I'd be more interested in each dev's individual preference and why.

Anyhow, I haven't read through this to edit it and make sure I don't sound like an idiot, so if I do, oh well.

EDIT: Didn't mean to sound abrasive in the beginning so my apologies, and yeah my argument was pretty weak, but again, oh well.
I'm sure this will play out over some more posts

Last edited:

dr_Drache

Reaction score
well, you DO sound like a idiot. (not really, left yourself open)

Most every thing one can think of in today's world is completely drained of originality due to people like you. How's that?

seriously? i'm a hobby programmer, and have been in open source for a few years (stupid army caused a hiatus) and a hobby engineer (no degrees in ether of them, so can't claim i am) but, for the originality standpoint, if that was the issue here, this vote wouldn't be here, because the choice would have been made already.

there is ALWAYS a great place to start, some better than others, the only thing keeping originality down, is NOT people like me, (come see my original engineering projects) it's people decided "thats good enough, lets move on"

Dev's are good, that I can agree with, without adding anything :p

for gratification standpoint, I can see your point, but, how do you know what a mosaic IS? just come up with it out of thin air? "there i threw paint and macaroni noodles together, it's a MOSAIC!!!! you have to start from somewhere.

I guess my main point has been IGNORED.

which roughly does/can mean if a CM feature != feature we want, boom a Diff file change. or i guess you could just rip all their "features" and add it to your source and claim it to be yours..... love opensource DON'T YA?

EDIT BASED ON BLACKBIRD'S EDIT!! (ha!) :
don't worry, not taking this personally, cause in the end, whose choice is it? oh yea, LM team :p

CletusVanDam

Reaction score
AOSP.

Although I do admit to loving some of the customization features available in CM. (Lock screen as an example)

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Something to think about because I am a die hard Droid fan...and this is just from a "layman's" point of view...but one that has torn apart all of the current ROMS in order to learn how to theme them.... The thing I like about LithiumMod, Sapphire and the other ROMs I assume are built from the ground up for the Droid...well is just that...they are buiilt for the Droid. Don't get me wrong, the CM stuff and specifically the newer CM6 stuf is impressive, I like some of the features..and it was my "daily ROMer" until FRG22 came out (yeah I know, same as FRG01b, but I get dramatically better/Stable WiFi with 22, no clue why).

HOWEVER, and again from a layman's point of view, all ofoCM's stuff I have seen is obviously built for HTC phones etc...and adapted to the Droid. Personally I don't like that. It bothers me to see HTC files in "Droid ROMs", blanked out HTC settings, trackball stuff etc, etc,...sure I know using the "source" may not be like that....but again I don't know enough to say that for sure.

In the end, the Droid Army is stronger, larger (getting larger day by day)...and IMHO "smarter" (J/K) ...what not use your own source from the ground up instead of source designed, tested, and marketed towards a totally different phone.

Just a thought and again excuse my ignorance in all this source stuff, this is just how I perceive it all..

OH, and all the cool stuff I like about CM seems to be open source made by others anyway..again at least it appears that way to me.

Last edited:

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
My opinion personally is AOSP, but in reality it should be done whichever way works best for the group of devs involved in LM.

Status
Not open for further replies.