I'm trying to decide between this and an iPhone

ktech11

Reaction score
I will say one thing about the battery, I replaced a D1 with the TB and my battery does fine. I use it a ton for work and personal all day with 4g use heavy, many apps running, but I keep WiFi off and gps off. I go from 630 am to 830 pm before I am at 15%. I am overclocked to 1.4ghz too.

I think the 4g batter issue is due to the phone being at the edge of a 4g area and trying to switch. One of the execs where I work had the battery problem too until the Mr1 update. With Mr2 this should be even better. Personally I could never go back to 3g

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
E

EchoX860

Reaction score
Not having Flash isn't that big of a deal. I do have some MINOR texting issues on my iTouch with the small screen. The iOS interface is nice and clean, it doesn't seem like you get that with Android unless I missed something and I'm not in a 4g area.

One other thing I noticed, not all Android phones get the next update at the same time. That seems a little "amateur". I don't want to get a Droid and have it not able to get he next update in a year or so

Last edited:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not having Flash isn't that big of a deal. I do have some MINOR texting issues on my iTouch with the small screen. The iOS interface is nice and clean, it doesn't seem like you get that with Android unless I missed something and I'm not in a 4g area.

One other thing I noticed, not all Android phones get the next update at the same time. That seems a little "amateur". I don't want to get a Droid and have it not able to get he next update in a year or so

It's called fragmentation. It's because android is open source and people create their own UI and different rom. There are differences between each which is why some app developers have not optimized for all phones.

Despite this...its much more versatile than anything apple will ever make.

ridin the lightning

nova.ace47

Reaction score
This thread indicates one thing that I think you get with Android that, from my experience with the Apple users I know, is somewhat lacking with ios. Community.... Now don't get me wrong I'm not an Apple lover hater (if that makes any sense) but look at the thread. A ton of useful non-critical responses from (most likely being Droid Forum) Android users. I don't know if that is useful to you but I work in a "Mac" environment and I get sneered at every time I take the OG out of my pocket. Just my two cents.

OG Droid CM7 Chevyno1 ulv1.0

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
This thread indicates one thing that I think you get with Android that, from my experience with the Apple users I know, is somewhat lacking with ios. Community.... Now don't get me wrong I'm not an Apple lover hater (if that makes any sense) but look at the thread. A ton of useful non-critical responses from (most likely being Droid Forum) Android users. I don't know if that is useful to you but I work in a "Mac" environment and I get sneered at every time I take the OG out of my pocket. Just my two cents.

OG Droid CM7 Chevyno1 ulv1.0

I can assure you, you've just seen a "good" Apple thread on here. There are no small amount that we have had to close and remove due to the way they turn. Everyone here, on the whole, is really doing great. And providing great info for the OP. Thanks for the constructive work.

Beardface

Reaction score
I will say, if you're getting the TBolt, its worth it to get the extended battery. Its well worth it to not have to worry at all if your device will make it through the day. I held off for a few months in getting one because I thought it was hideous, but after putting it on and holding it in my hand, I realized its actually better. The phone, as stock, can easily slip out of your hand, because its very wide but also very skinny. Hard to hold onto, and its incredibly easy to slip out of your hand. With the extended battery, it actually conforms to your palm, and you can use the ridges as easy finger holds. I actually prefer it that way than the other.

OP
E

EchoX860

Reaction score
I was going through other topics on here. So if I root the Thunderbolt, I can use the WiFi Hotspot thing for Free, use that with my iTouch and I have all the functionality of the iPhone minus Text/Talk?

Beardface

Reaction score
I was going through other topics on here. So if I root the Thunderbolt, I can use the WiFi Hotspot thing for Free, use that with my iTouch and I have all the functionality of the iPhone minus Text/Talk?
I would not count on that at all.

Verizon is cracking down heavily on it. If you are going to tether, don't be a jerk. Pay for it.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Actually they are TRYING to crack down heavily on it but the government is not taking their side. Yes you can use tether if you root. Its not being a jerk. If you pay for unlimited data...you should be able to tether reasonably. The government has actually sided with consumers on this. I purchase a device...its MY device now. I'm the owner. If I wish to put custom software on it...I can. If I wish to use the data package I paid for...I can. It would be like dell going to the government and saying they wish to not allow dell owners who purchased their own cpus to not use a certain software.

It IS however against the terms and conditions you signed in the contract . And why on earth would u want to be a jerk and use a lot of data when u paid for unlimited and being dishonorable to Verizon ...they care so much about you and love u like a child...why would u want to hurt their feelings and disappoint daddy. Pshh...all rooted users tether...and no we aren't jerks.

ridin the lightning

Beardface

Reaction score
Actually they are TRYING to crack down heavily on it but the government is not taking their side. Yes you can use tether if you root. Its not being a jerk. If you pay for unlimited data...you should be able to tether reasonably. The government has actually sided with consumers on this. I purchase a device...its MY device now. I'm the owner. If I wish to put custom software on it...I can. If I wish to use the data package I paid for...I can. It would be like dell going to the government and saying they wish to not allow dell owners who purchased their own cpus to not use a certain software.

It IS however against the terms and conditions you signed in the contract . And why on earth would u want to be a jerk and use a lot of data when u paid for unlimited and being dishonorable to Verizon ...they care so much about you and love u like a child...why would u want to hurt their feelings and disappoint daddy. Pshh...all rooted users tether...and no we aren't jerks.

ridin the lightning
The Government is siding with consumers, yes, but its not on what you think. They are still going to back big bad Verizon on making you pay for it, but they are going to require that Verizon allows you to use other apps as well, not just their own Mobile Hotspot. Not paying is akin to stealing apps from the store. Not good.

And yes, it is against the terms for you to tether without paying. It says so explicitly within the contract. If you do it and they find out, you deserve any and all punishment you get, including forced termination of service while being fined the ETF.

mikezq8ss

Reaction score

ridin the lightning

I agree 100%.

You sign a contract for unlimited data and you should get it. I bought a phone that had a hotspot function built into it and my plan offers unlimited data. Guess what, I should be able to use it whenever and wherever I want.

I've only done it a couple times, mostly just to test it out, so I don't exactly have a big dog in this fight. My issue with V and tethering is, when I bought my phone NOBODY told me that the tethering would be a limited time deal. Not one single employee said anything about that. Had I have known they were gonna sell me a phone that they were going to cripple through updates later on I would have thought twice about buying it. I probably still would have bought it, but I'd have thought twice about it.

Basically, if they can fight against you as they see fit, you should be able to fight back (figuratively speaking of course). They find new and creative ways to charge you more money every day... A person taking V's side in this is comical (unless they work for Verizon obviously), they really couldn't give half a crap about you or whether or not you love them. They want your money, and they want to provide as little amount of service for your money as is legally possible. Make no mistakes about that. If you want to sit on your own morals and not use tethering because they decided to kill it on you, that's fine... just don't tell other people not to do it and call them names*. You're allowed unlimited data until they phase that plan out too, go ahead and use it. Might as well while you can.

*not directed at the quoted text

Last edited:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

ridin the lightning
The Government is siding with consumers, yes, but its not on what you think. They are still going to back big bad Verizon on making you pay for it, but they are going to require that Verizon allows you to use other apps as well, not just their own Mobile Hotspot. Not paying is akin to stealing apps from the store. Not good.

And yes, it is against the terms for you to tether without paying. It says so explicitly within the contract. If you do it and they find out, you deserve any and all punishment you get, including forced termination of service while being fined the ETF.

OK so ill make my own app that is a non market app. This is Android. That's how we roll. No need to "steal" an app as they are available online. They can try all they want to stop hacking but it's futile. Bottom line is the apps that are out there were made by developers anyway ...its open...Verizon would be shooting themselves in the foot trying to close it.

Verizon terminates my contract I ain't paying jack in fines. They can send it to collection but ain't getting a dime outta me. Then an agency will offer me 50% deal to remove it from my credit and I will still refuse. Ill offer them 20$ and if they won't take it ...they gets 0

IMO for big red its not worth the fight. Only a small amount of users root compared to their base. They are greedy is what the prob is. They see a way to try and make more money is what the deal is. The will spend more fighting it than they are losing (honestly don't think they are losing much now).

Idk ill go to a different company who offer better devices anyway. Then vzw gets nothing from me and my family

ridin the lightning

Last edited:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No more off topic on tethering. There are more than enough other threads about this. This is about the iPhone and Thunderbolt.

Unless ur a moderator don't tell others what they can and can't post. This is a concern for the tbolt user as it comes with tether app stock and if you don't think its important then get an iPhone. I personally think it's lacking and boring smartphone

ridin the lightning