I'm trying to decide between this and an iPhone

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
No more off topic on tethering. There are more than enough other threads about this. This is about the iPhone and Thunderbolt.

Unless ur a moderator don't tell others what they can and can't post. This is a concern for the tbolt user as it comes with tether app stock and if you don't think its important then get an iPhone. I personally think it's lacking and boring smartphone

ridin the lightning

Would you like to read my title and say that again? I am a moderator.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
No more off topic on tethering. There are more than enough other threads about this. This is about the iPhone and Thunderbolt.

Unless ur a moderator don't tell others what they can and can't post. This is a concern for the tbolt user as it comes with tether app stock and if you don't think its important then get an iPhone. I personally think it's lacking and boring smartphone

ridin the lightning

He's probably on tapatalk and can't see titles...but still - sheesh :icon_rolleyes:

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

ridin the lightning

Lol sorry can't see that on droidforums app, and I don't recognize your username as a mod from my member duration

Still was pertinent topic in this thread IMO. Unless someone reported a post. Nobody is breaking rules to my knowledge. Mobil hotspot feature comes with thunderbolt and being a person undecided on the two phones may like to know this info.

ridin the lightning

Last edited:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

ridin the lightning

Lol sorry can't see that on droidforums app, and I don't recognize your username as a mod from my member duration

Still was pertinent topic in this thread IMO. Unless someone reported a post.

ridin the lightning

This isn't up for negotiation. No more tethering discussions and debates in this thread. If there are, posts will be deleted and infractions will be issued.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Mobile hotspot feature comes with thunderbolt and being a person undecided on the two phones may like to know this info.

ridin the lightning

I agree. Is jkhonea aware that the mobile hotspot being discussed is the official Verizon tether app rather than the apps that come along with root (that are considered frowned upon)? Considering that there is a free trial until early to mid July for the mobile hotspot features through Verizon I absolutely think it is relevant to a discussion of iPhone vs. Thunderbolt.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Mobile hotspot feature comes with thunderbolt and being a person undecided on the two phones may like to know this info.

ridin the lightning

I agree. Is jkhonea aware that the mobile hotspot being discussed is the official Verizon tether app rather than the apps that come along with root (that are considered frowned upon)? Considering that there is a free trial until early to mid July for the mobile hotspot features through Verizon I absolutely think it is relevant to a discussion of iPhone vs. Thunderbolt.

I am completely aware. This is about the iPhone and Thunderbolt. Not tethering. There are already other posts in here babbling about the legalities of tethering. That has NOTHING to do with the positives of the iPhone versus the Thunderbolt. THAT is where the tethering discussions will devolve this thread to. So like I said, no more posts about tethering. It's been made clear the free version of tethering is extended on the Thunderbolt. It's done. No move on.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

ridin the lightning

I am completely aware. This is about the iPhone and Thunderbolt. Not tethering. There are already other posts in here babbling about the legalities of tethering. That has NOTHING to do with the positives of the iPhone versus the Thunderbolt. THAT is where the tethering discussions will devolve this thread to. So like I said, no more posts about tethering. It's been made clear the free version of tethering is extended on the Thunderbolt. It's done. No move on.

I completely understand what your saying, but considering one phone (the Thunderbolt) has a feature on it, for the next month or so anyway, and another phone (the iPhone) doesn't have this feature, I don't really see how its so far off topic when comparing the two phones. It is what it is, you do enforce the rules so let's just move on.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The point is relative to the difference between the two phones even if I wanted to say you can root the bolt and tether third party and u cannot on the iPhone. Someone asked if they could tether their itouch on the bolt and yes u can. I tether my xoom when not at home. I'm rooted and rommed. I couldnt do this on an iPhone could I?

Every thread on df has some kind of off topic post in it. I understand that the discussion got more into vzw and legality but still think someone who considers rooting if they get a bolt over an iPhone should be aware that its a feature that u can use on the bolt. It may be something they want or don't want in deciding which one to buy.

If we can't talk about the features that one phone has over another...what can we talk about. Features are what people look at when deciding what to buy

ridin the lightning

Last edited:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm curious, are you intentionally ignoring what I said? Just curious before my next actions.

He knows tethering is there. Leave it alone.

I'm not ignoring what u said I'm posting on topic.

Instead of banning just close the thread. Sorry you are angry about this thread.

ridin the lightning

Last edited:

DaWolf85

Reaction score
I think a lot of you would be surprised at what you can do with a jailbroken iPhone.
You can in fact tether with a jailbroken iPhone. You can also install widgets, themes, live wallpapers, custom lockscreens, custom boot animations, and mess with any file on the device. You can even overclock if you know what you're doing (although I wouldn't recommend this for a normal user because the iPhone is underclocked for a reason). I would actually go so far as to compare it to rooting. The only difference is you can't install custom ROMs (although I hear there is a way to dual-boot Android if you get tired of iOS and are still stuck in contract). Only problem is, if the phone crashes, you have to wait like a week for the battery to die... not fun.

I would say the iPhone is probably good for most casual users, or for people who just want something that does its job and don't care about customizations. If you start to get interested in customization, you can always jailbreak, as well.
The iPhone is also good for gaming. It's the console of phones. There are just more games for it. If you like to have lots and lots of games on your phone, the iPhone might be for you.

On the other hand, the Thunderbolt is also a stellar phone. It has the obvious pro of 4G. It can also call and surf the web at the same time, something the Verizon iPhone can't do.
If you like customization, get the Thunderbolt. I'm beating a dead horse, but it's true. Android has the ability to install custom ROMs, and mess with the way the phone works at its most basic level. If you don't like your battery life, there are kernels and ROMs you can install that will help you out with that one.
The other main thing you would want the Thunderbolt for is the speed. It has 4G. This is beating a dead horse as well, but Verizon's network defines speed. It even beats some people's wired connections. If you surf the web a lot, you will love the Thunderbolt.
Another reason to get the Thunderbolt is the SD card and removable battery. Little things go a long way. The Thunderbolt has more storage than the iPhone. Not that much more, but a couple gigs can go a long way sometimes. The removable battery is also a plus, because you can swap it out with other batteries to increase the time between charges. You can also perform a battery pull if the phone freezes up - my iPod touch has been sitting around frozen for a week now waiting for the battery to die so I can reboot. Not common, but also not fun.

Both are strong phones, and each has its strong points. I personally prefer the Thunderbolt, but I don't hate the iPhone. It's just not the kind of phone for me.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
I think a lot of you would be surprised at what you can do with a jailbroken iphone.

Can you make the screen larger?

You can in fact tether with a jailbroken iPhone.

Not anymore. Att is cracking down on that.

We're talking about Verizon here, not AT&T. And Verizon is cracking down on Android tethering, too, so even if they're cracking down on tethering on iPhones, it's not much different than what's happening on Androids.

wesdo2gg

Reaction score
I have, in fact, made my former iPhone 3GS into a dual boot device for a while before restoring it and selling it. I took full advantage of what you can do with it, and I would never go back to iOS. You can ask my mom
(an iphone truther) how she feels after she switched computers and had to restore the entire device. She was not a happy camper and I think that's the first negative things she's ever said about her iPhone. She even asked the Apple people if she would be better off jailbreaking her phone just so she doesn't have to deal with that again. I'll happily stay a part of the Android family and I've enjoyed my TB far more than I ever enjoyed my cryPhone.