I'm trying to decide between this and an iPhone

OP
E

EchoX860

Reaction score
Well, I just purchased my Thunderbolt from VerizonWireless.com Should be here in 2 days.

porsche996

Reaction score
My biggest reason/concern with going with an iPhone, and which is why I went with the OG Droid last year, is that I don't want to be tethered to my home computer to update the phone, whether that be music, calendar, etc. I stopped using the iTunes software many years ago, as I started putting my play money into other buys (PS3, cellphones, cars) and not my home computer...my home PC at this point can barely run iTunes, and it definately doesn't run very smoothly!

So to me, to have a cell phone that's essentially married to iTunes in order for me to transfer files back and forth is virtually useless. I liked the iOS, but I like Android as well. And I DEFINATELY like being able to install apps outside of the manufacturer's store without having to root/jailbreak the phone. (My OG Droid was rooted; I haven't rooted my TB yet)

Plus... 4G is freaking AWESOME! I'm seriously considering signing up for the unlimited tethering for $30/mo and dumping my cable internet connection at home, as I only use it for PS3 and occasionally bill-pay on the home computer, which, incidentally, I always have my cell phone right next to me then, too...

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I think a lot of you would be surprised at what you can do with a jailbroken iPhone.
You can in fact tether with a jailbroken iPhone. You can also install widgets, themes, live wallpapers, custom lockscreens, custom boot animations, and mess with any file on the device. You can even overclock if you know what you're doing (although I wouldn't recommend this for a normal user because the iPhone is underclocked for a reason). I would actually go so far as to compare it to rooting. The only difference is you can't install custom ROMs (although I hear there is a way to dual-boot Android if you get tired of iOS and are still stuck in contract). Only problem is, if the phone crashes, you have to wait like a week for the battery to die... not fun.

I would say the iPhone is probably good for most casual users, or for people who just want something that does its job and don't care about customizations. If you start to get interested in customization, you can always jailbreak, as well.
The iPhone is also good for gaming. It's the console of phones. There are just more games for it. If you like to have lots and lots of games on your phone, the iPhone might be for you.

On the other hand, the Thunderbolt is also a stellar phone. It has the obvious pro of 4G. It can also call and surf the web at the same time, something the Verizon iPhone can't do.
If you like customization, get the Thunderbolt. I'm beating a dead horse, but it's true. Android has the ability to install custom ROMs, and mess with the way the phone works at its most basic level. If you don't like your battery life, there are kernels and ROMs you can install that will help you out with that one.
The other main thing you would want the Thunderbolt for is the speed. It has 4G. This is beating a dead horse as well, but Verizon's network defines speed. It even beats some people's wired connections. If you surf the web a lot, you will love the Thunderbolt.
Another reason to get the Thunderbolt is the SD card and removable battery. Little things go a long way. The Thunderbolt has more storage than the iPhone. Not that much more, but a couple gigs can go a long way sometimes. The removable battery is also a plus, because you can swap it out with other batteries to increase the time between charges. You can also perform a battery pull if the phone freezes up - my iPod touch has been sitting around frozen for a week now waiting for the battery to die so I can reboot. Not common, but also not fun.

Both are strong phones, and each has its strong points. I personally prefer the Thunderbolt, but I don't hate the iPhone. It's just not the kind of phone for me.

Most of that you can do right out of the box with and Android phone though.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Another thing about iPhones are how overpriced they are. The IP4 32 GB is still $300 dollars.

And its FAR behind other Android phones releasing, that are cheaper.