Thunderbolt or iPhone 4?

OP
T

The Droid Man

Reaction score
Because the iPhone has more processing power, better gfx, a better battery, better camera, better screen, and better customer support. Not to mention that every app that is on both is better on iPhone.

iPhone does not have more processing power, does not have a better camera, and does not have better support, at least in my experience.

I'm not going to have to explain native vs VM code again am I?
Sure the clock speed on the iPhone 4 is "only" 1ghz, but it uses that 1ghz much more effectively than android. This is why 2nd gen snapdragons are only equal to iPhone 3gs, even with much better specs.

I can dig around on this forum and find the chart that shows snapdragon vs....

So how does the iP4 compare to the Thunderbolt?

J

Johnly

iPhone does not have more processing power, does not have a better camera, and does not have better support, at least in my experience.

Sure the clock speed on the iPhone 4 is "only" 1ghz, but it uses that 1ghz much more effectively than android. This is why 2nd gen snapdragons are only equal to iPhone 3gs, even with much better specs.

Depends what you are looking for. What are your top 20 needs in a smart phone?

UNC

Reaction score

If you have 4g coverage now, I would give the TB the huge edge.
That speed is too good to ignore. I take iPhone 4 over TB for 3g only coverage though.

I won't have 4g coverage until later in the year, and I'll pick up a Bionic or iPhone 5 then.

en28so

Reaction score
Because the iPhone has more processing power, better gfx, a better battery, better camera, better screen, and better customer support. Not to mention that every app that is on both is better on iPhone.

Yeah whatever. Just don't try making a phone call on an iphone. All that processing power to do what? You can't even put a good keyboard on the iphone. Try finding SwiftKey keyboard on the app store. Iphone is nice, but boring like I said before. Even if you jailbreak it, it's still boring. Jada, jada, jada. My droid X is twice as fast as my friends 3gs btw.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score

I could not care less about code.
You said iPhone has more processing power. It doesn't. You didn't say it uses processing power more efficiently.
I guess if I think about it hard though, I don't care about code or test scores or any of that other crap. I care about the performance I get when I use the device. And I've gotten better performance out of my D-Inc than I did in the brief time I had iPhone, and I also got a hell of a lot more functionality. How iOS doesn't come natively with turn-by-turn navigation or at least a semi decent notification system or even a concept like homescreen widgets is beyond me. The iPhone has a great looking build, a nice looking and extremely advanced capacitive touch screen, and a very, very, VERY boring OS that is predicated on limiting what the end user can do.

UNC

Reaction score

You said iPhone has more processing power. It doesn't. You didn't say it uses processing power more efficiently.
I guess if I think about it hard though, I don't care about code or test scores or any of that other crap. I care about the performance I get when I use the device. And I've gotten better performance out of my D-Inc than I did in the brief time I had iPhone, and I also got a hell of a lot more functionality. How iOS doesn't come natively with turn-by-turn navigation or at least a semi decent notification system or even a concept like homescreen widgets is beyond me. The iPhone has a great looking build, a nice looking and extremely advanced capacitive touch screen, and a very, very, VERY boring OS that is predicated on limiting what the end user can do.

That's funny since Qualcomm themselves released the chart showing that the adreno 2xx series is only equal to 3gs.... I guess Qualcomm was wrong about their own chip? The first Snapdragon with Adreno 2xx will be dual-core. Those STILL aren't out, and when they are, they will just be equal with the 2 year old 3gs.
CHART
A4 vs Snapdragon

Any perceived speed advantage your Droid has is placebo.

Last edited:

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score

That's funny since Qualcomm themselves released the chart showing that the adreno 2xx series is only equal to 3gs.... I guess Qualcomm was wrong about their own chip? The first Snapdragon with Adreno 2xx will be dual-core. Those STILL aren't out, and when they are, they will just be equal with the 2 year old 3gs.
CHART
A4 vs Snapdragon

He said the snapdragon is a lot faster then the 3gs.... plus the test was done back with eclair.... something more recent would be better not to mention the internet tests were att vs tmo.... no ones sitting here months ago saying tmo is great nor are they doing it now.... they should test 2 phones same network.... then u can have some braggin rights

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

UNC

Reaction score

CHART
A4 vs Snapdragon

He said the snapdragon is a lot faster then the 3gs.... plus the test was done back with eclair.... something more recent would be better not to mention the internet tests were att vs tmo.... no ones sitting here months ago saying tmo is great nor are they doing it now.... they should test 2 phones same network.... then u can have some braggin rights

adreno3xx.jpg

Look at the adreno2xx series. These are the GPU's just now being installed on Snapdragon....

Alright, now look at the other link... SunSpider Javascript benchmarks...
Apple A4 = 10475
Qualcomm QSD8250 = 14409
iPhone 3gs Cortex A8 = 17360

So, the 600mhz iPhone 3gs has 83% of the speed of the 1ghz Snapdragon, with only 60% of the clock speed... While the Snapdragon is only 72% as fast as a A4 with IDENTICAL clock speeds...

"If we take the network out of the equation, the A4 in the iPad has a 37.6% performance advantage over the Qualcomm QSD8250. This actually supports some of the larger performance differences we saw earlier. If Apple can manage to deliver this sort of performance in its smartphone version of the A4, we're in for a treat.

The why is much more difficult to ascertain. It could be as simple as the the iPad OS being better optimized than Android, a definite possibility given how much longer Apple has been working on it compared to Google. The advantage could also be hardware. The A4 may boast higher IPC than Qualcomm's Snapdragon thanks to better core architecture, larger caches or a faster memory bus. The likely case is somewhere in between, where the iPad's advantage comes from a combination of hardware and software."

And where do you see Tmo vs AT&T?? These tests were done over wifi using the same connection.....

Last edited:

patfactorx

Reaction score
CHART
A4 vs Snapdragon

adreno3xx.jpg

Look at the adreno2xx series. These are the GPU's just now being installed on Snapdragon....

Alright, now look at the other link... SunSpider Javascript benchmarks...
Apple A4 = 10475
Qualcomm QSD8250 = 14409
iPhone 3gs Cortex A8 = 17360

So, the 600mhz iPhone 3gs has 83% of the speed of the 1ghz Snapdragon, with only 60% of the clock speed... While the Snapdragon is only 72% as fast as a A4 with IDENTICAL clock speeds...

"If we take the network out of the equation, the A4 in the iPad has a 37.6% performance advantage over the Qualcomm QSD8250. This actually supports some of the larger performance differences we saw earlier. If Apple can manage to deliver this sort of performance in its smartphone version of the A4, we're in for a treat.

The why is much more difficult to ascertain. It could be as simple as the the iPad OS being better optimized than Android, a definite possibility given how much longer Apple has been working on it compared to Google. The advantage could also be hardware. The A4 may boast higher IPC than Qualcomm's Snapdragon thanks to better core architecture, larger caches or a faster memory bus. The likely case is somewhere in between, where the iPad's advantage comes from a combination of hardware and software."

And where do you see Tmo vs AT&T?? These tests were done over wifi using the same connection.....

those SunSpider tests are way off. Lookup a youtube video of Froyo and you will see Android crushing iOS in websurfing

thunderrumble

Reaction score
iphone vs thunderbolt

I was in rr same situation. When I went to a Verizon store, the salesman explained the features and the pricing of both phones, after finding out that the iphone's insurance plan is $19 a month another deductible is $200, I decided on the thunderbolt and I'm loving it!!!