If you want Windows, buy a Laptop

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score
There has been way to much negative feedback on the "RUMORED" price of the Xoom. Many are saying you can "buy a laptop for that price" YES YOU CAN...if you want WINDOWS. The Xoom runs the Android OS (just to clear things up). If you know of a Laptop/Netbook that runs ANDROID for the same price as the Xoom...please let us know. Otherwise, different people have different uses for different devices (SHOCKER I KNOW). If you prefer to buy a laptop over the Xoom for that price...then buy one!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What would you say if I were to tell you that I saw at the CES an Android tablet that ran Windows as well as Android? Just to clarify, I saw this on a local news story on television and they did show a demo of it in use. No release date or cost was available.

True, you can get a laptop for the price of a tablet, but it's apples and oranges. Tablets have touch screen capability, and they aren't made to compete with laptops. People using that argument don't get what exactly a tablet is about.

OP
h1br1d7heory

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score
What would you say if I were to tell you that I saw at the CES an Android tablet that ran Windows as well as Android? Just to clarify, I saw this on a local news story on television and they did show a demo of it in use. No release date or cost was available.

True, you can get a laptop for the price of a tablet, but it's apples and oranges. Tablets have touch screen capability, and they aren't made to compete with laptops. People using that argument don't get what exactly a tablet is about.

Thank you, someone that agrees with me dancedroid

ckeegan

Reaction score
I agree with you too. I have to admit I was pretty intrigued by the Dell Inspiron Duo, but it still comes down to the fact that Windows is fairly worthless when it comes to touchscreens.

jbmb

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new here, I have a question about the xoom and I apologize if this question has already been answered but I haven't been following the xoom forum lately ( I've been all over the TB forum tho lol I can't wait for it to come out) anyway my wife has a small business and I was gonna buy her a xoom to help her be more organized but she needs to be able to access excell on the go, so would I be better off gettin her a laptop or the xoom?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

ckeegan

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new here, I have a question about the xoom and I apologize if this question has already been answered but I haven't been following the xoom forum lately ( I've been all over the TB forum tho lol I can't wait for it to come out) anyway my wife has a small business and I was gonna buy her a xoom to help her be more organized but she needs to be able to access excell on the go, so would I be better off gettin her a laptop or the xoom?

Actually a really good question, that I honestly don't know the answer to, but I bet we will find out when Google shows off Honeycomb (the tablet version of Android) at this Wednesday's event (1pm EST - YouTube - androiddevelopers's Channel - they'll have a live feed here).

mickmel

Reaction score
my wife has a small business and I was gonna buy her a xoom to help her be more organized
It depends on what she uses, but for the most part they'd be equal. Both can manage Gmail, have nice Evernote clients, etc. I guess it depends on how mobile she really is -- would the speed of turning on a tablet versus sitting down to use a laptop make a difference?

but she needs to be able to access excell on the go, so would I be better off gettin her a laptop or the xoom?
You won't be able load Microsoft Excel on there, but there are good alternatives. Her best choice, regardless of tablet vs notebook, would be to use Google Docs anyhow. Unless she uses some high-level Excel functions that it can't handle, Docs makes a ton of sense for anyone to use. The tablet will just make it more sweet...

jbmb

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it, I'm tellin the wife that the xoom can really help her out but I really just one to play with lol