Verizon for $599 or $799 at Best Buy and why?

ChuckG73

Reaction score
If I buy the Verizon version I am paying 599 plus tax upfront and then 20 dollars a month for 1GB of data for 24 months, which comes to 480 dollars plus tax. For a total of 1079 dollars after two years plus tax.....

If I buy it from Best Buy for 799 plus tax and cancel the activation, I basically have a wifi version....right?

For a difference of roughly 280 dollars.....

But wait if I go on vacation and want to activate the Xoom on Verizon's network can I do so and cancel after the vacation and if so what are the costs......Is there an activation charge everytime I actrivate the Xoom or just once?

Please help me understand what makes the most sense. I spoke with a verizon rep this morning and she said I could disable the 3g/4g network when I am on a wifi and only use the Verizon service. But then I am paying for a data plan I probably will not use except on rare instances.

And then I also know that I have a rooted phone and could just tether when I am off of wifi, but am not sure how dependable that is because I have not really used it yet.

Thanks

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Im up in the air on this as well. I do plan on biting the bullet though and getting it for 600/ 2 yr contract. Im down to 3 lines on my account so the 20/mo data plan wont bother me to much.

I dont know if id be happy buying it for 800 out right because a lot of people look at the upfront cost instead of the overall cost. Most people I know live month to month and thats how they figure their budget (ok, I can afford 20 extra each month....) It will be nice to have the convenience of an always on connection but I do see wifi being used most of the time...so the lowest data plan should work for me. I know for a fact I would get the wifi version if it were available, but its not. Could I wait? sure! but as far as I know there isnt even an official announcement or release date. Just that reveal of it over in Spain?

Got 14 days to give it a whirl, thats what I plan to do.

garbageman

Reaction score
I would say if you have rooted and have wireless teather use it instead if you are not sure if you will use the data plan very often. But only use the teather if you have unlimited date plan for your phone. I have used the teather with my laptop and my xbox, which was not so great on that but worked. But that's just my 2 cents and what I will probably do.

Sent from my DROID2

OP
ChuckG73

ChuckG73

Reaction score
So then you are saying buy the 799 one, cancel data plan and use it as a wifi only....

garbageman

Reaction score
That's what I would suggest yes. But if you cancel the plan don't you have to pay the 375 early cancellation fee? So wouldn't it be better to pay for the other?

Sent from my DROID2

OP
ChuckG73

ChuckG73

Reaction score
If I buy the Verizon version I am paying 599 plus tax upfront and then 20 dollars a month for 1GB of data for 24 months, which comes to 480 dollars plus tax. For a total of 1079 dollars after two years plus tax.....

If I buy it from Best Buy for 799 plus tax and cancel the activation, I basically have a wifi version....right?

For a difference of roughly 280 dollars.....

But wait if I go on vacation and want to activate the Xoom on Verizon's network can I do so and cancel after the vacation and if so what are the costs......Is there an activation charge everytime I actrivate the Xoom or just once?

Please help me understand what makes the most sense. I spoke with a verizon rep this morning and she said I could disable the 3g/4g network when I am on a wifi and only use the Verizon service. But then I am paying for a data plan I probably will not use except on rare instances.

And then I also know that I have a rooted phone and could just tether when I am off of wifi, but am not sure how dependable that is because I have not really used it yet.

Thanks

I am going with the 799 version, I will pay the one activation fee when I purchase the Xoom and then it is on a month to month plan without a contract.

I called my local Costco and it is not in their system yet and I get a discount thorugh my job at Verzon, so I probably will go into Verizon and buy it.......Hope they have all the accessories I want and maybe a package deal.

OP
ChuckG73

ChuckG73

Reaction score
Actually just got off the phone with 'Whit" at Verizon Wireless and he has placed a Xoom on hold for me to pick up when they open along with a bag of accessories. I will be there at 9 am.

Bchildress

Reaction score
I want Best Buy to price match $599 with 2 year contract and let me use their financing!

millerjy

Reaction score
Just was at a Verizon store looking at it. There demo model kept shutting off right after unlock and they couldn't figure out why.

On the info card though it said to get rebate you had to keep the $50 data plan or higher on account.

Also going through Verizon if anything goes wrong with it does that mean you get a "like new" zoom or have to go through there third party insurance. I would rather pay for the best buy insurance.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

tessa25

Reaction score
$499. with 2 year plan for me. Got rid of my old air card so got the $100. discount.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App