Possible good news for those looking to tether

Newton122189

Reaction score
[HOW-TO] Bluetooth Tether from Android phone to XOOM (NO root or app required)

This is a HOW-TO guide that details how to bluetooth tether your Android phone's internet to your Motorola XOOM without using any applications or rooting your phone. If done properly you should have your Android phone and XOOM connected via bluetooth and the XOOM should be using your Android phone's internet.

Please post if it works for you, and also say what phone you are using.

Devices confirmed to work:
Droid 2 (Regular, R2D2, and Global)
Droid X
Droid Pro

This has been confirmed working on a few different devices now, it allows you to share your phone's internet with your XOOM without rooting your phone or needing any extra applications

1: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks>tethering and portable hotspot and make sure that "Bluetooth Tethering" is UNCHECKED, this is NOT what we want

2: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks> enable airplane mode

3: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks> enable bluetooth

4: on your android phone, go to settings>wireless & networks (or equivalent)> enable bluetooth

5: Make sure that both devices are discoverable, so that they can see one another, should be in settings>wireless & networks>bluetooth settings

6: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks>bluetooth settings>select your phone in order to pair it with your XOOM

7: a box should pop up on both devices, select Pair on both devices

8: on XOOM, once the pairing is complete (still inside bluetooth settings), select the phone, it should say paired but not connected underneath it

9: The two devices should connect, once connected there should be a wrench next to the connected device, clicking on this will show an option to tether, click this option if it is not automatically enabled

10: TA-DA, if it worked then in the bottom right hand corner of your XOOM should have two bluetooth icons, one should indicated that your bluetooth is turned on and the other should say bluetooth tethered, you are now using your phones internet data plan on your XOOM, aka not counting towards your xoom's data plan

Last edited:

Dan_08

Reaction score
Bluetooth tether using wireless tether on og droid works great. I was able to video chat while using gtalk on it.

OP
N

Newton122189

Reaction score
Bluetooth tether using wireless tether on og droid works great. I was able to video chat while using gtalk on it.

Were you using the app "Wireless Tether" or where you simply bluetooth pairing the two devices?

Dan_08

Reaction score
Used the app while paired, turned off wifi on app and just used bluetooth.

OP
N

Newton122189

Reaction score
Used the app while paired, turned off wifi on app and just used bluetooth.

ok, well you shouldnt have to use the app at all, it should work simply by pairing, so try to do it without using the Wireless Tether app

I thought I would add that I just did a little bit more investigating and this is what i found

I have 3G on my XOOM so it defaults to that, in order to get the tether to work I had to put the device into airplane mode and then manually enable bluetooth. Once did this I was only able to connect the two devices by choosing to connect on the XOOM, if i chose to connect from the Droid 2 then it didnt work.

So maybe that can help with getting it to work for some

gbright666

Reaction score
If your device is our wifi enabled just go to settings wireless networks tethering and turn it on

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

scknoll123

Reaction score
yep it works.

Using it now. Just turned off the wifi and turned on the Bluetooth.
Great find I'm using the D2 global

Dan_08

Reaction score
Nope it would not give the option on og droid to use internet while only bluetooth connected.

OP
N

Newton122189

Reaction score
If your device is our wifi enabled just go to settings wireless networks tethering and turn it on

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I know that the XOOM has hotspot enabled by default, this is about pulling the internet from an android smartphone onto the XOOM (that doesnt have any other connection)

Using it now. Just turned off the wifi and turned on the Bluetooth.
Great find I'm using the D2 global

Awesome, so far I only have confirmed it on a Droid 2, and R2D2 Droid 2, and a Droid 2 Global lol, but hopefully it works on other devices

Also since there is clearly some confusion, I'd like to clear up the purpose of this

This basically gives you the same functionality of Wireless Tether for Root Users being on your phone. It lets you share your phones internet with your xoom, NOT the other way around. And all you have to do is pair and connect them over bluetooth. :)

OP
N

Newton122189

Reaction score
Nope it would not give the option on og droid to use internet while only bluetooth connected.

you didnt have any other connections active right, like 3G or wifi?

and just to clarify it shouldnt be an option, if you dont have 3G or wifi and you bluetooth connect then the XOOM just does it, or at least it does for the Droid 2

Skydog

Reaction score
Woo hoo! It works with the Droid X. :) Many thanks for the tip!

gbright666

Reaction score
Ok I was confused on what y'all were talking about. Now I get it

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App