I want to upgrade but I dont want to lose my plan

loki993

Reaction score
Ok so I have an HTC Rezound and its getting a bit long in the tooth. Im really liking the M8 but a retail price of 700+ dollars isnt an option. My issue here is 2 fold. First I have unlimited data, I suppose I could give that up because I dont really use THAT much date..at this point its just the principal of the matter. The second issue and the big one is that Im on an old plan that was never advertised. Its a 450 min unlimited text and data plan for 65 a month. So If I were to upgrade not only will I lose my unlimited but my bill would go up by about 40 bucks a month.....this I really don't want to do.

Ive looked at different ways but it doesn't seem like there would be a way for me to keep this plan and upgrade my phone. Any ideas?

Red Droid

Reaction score
You can do the "Device Replacement Plan" which will take the price of the phone you select and give you 12 monthly payments.

You can see if they'll add another line to your plan, get the new smartphone on that line, knock it back to a basic/dumb line (should be $10 a month for 24 months, then you could upgrade again. you will have to have a dumb phone to replace the smart phone on this second line....pick one up cheap used.

Red Droid

Reaction score
A third option is to purchase a used phone.

What size sim card does the Rezound use?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
There were some new plans that just came out a week or two ago....you'd get 2gigs of data, unlimited talk and text, for $60/mo....and get a subsidized phone with a new 2-yr contract

But I have to tell you, I'm running Tachyon4.3 on my Rezound and it's rock solid.

Meteora

Reaction score
You can do the "Device Replacement Plan" which will take the price of the phone you select and give you 12 monthly payments.

You can see if they'll add another line to your plan, get the new smartphone on that line, knock it back to a basic/dumb line (should be $10 a month for 24 months, then you could upgrade again. you will have to have a dumb phone to replace the smart phone on this second line....pick one up cheap used.

Is this the edge program from verizon?

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
I can basically finance the full price of my phone over 12 months and it wont touch my plan? Im assuming that if I do that it wont affect my contract length either because Im essentially buying the phone at full retail correct?

Im honestly not sure...I wasn't aware there were different sizes....

There were some new plans that just came out a week or two ago....you'd get 2gigs of data, unlimited talk and text, for $60/mo....and get a subsidized phone with a new 2-yr contract

But I have to tell you, I'm running Tachyon4.3 on my Rezound and it's rock solid.

That is one thing...Ive been through quite a few ROMs on mine. Battery life has always been an issue, not sure I can really do anything the change that either, I think it just is what it is. the other thing is lag especially when using the messaging/texting..its been a problem especially lately. I haven't heard of Tachyon though...I usually get ROMs from XDA..Im on Liquid Smooth right now and its decent...aside from bad battery life and the lag that I seem to get with everything.

I dont use that much date but 2 gigs isnt enough I dont think....

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of Tachyon though...I usually get ROMs from XDA..

Yeah, Tachyon is on XDA. It's 4.3 (which might make a difference), and pretty sure Liquid Smooth is 4.2 or sooner. I've been thru numerous roms, and with a few build.prop tweaks (I think they work, anyway) the rom is almost flawless. Some people seem to have better luck than others with different roms - for me nothing comes close to Tachyon.

Try it out and see it it runs better for you...If so, I just got the extended battery & case from Lazza(?) and I have 0 desire to upgrade right now. After 2+ years it's DEFINITELY past due for a new battery.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score

Yeah, Tachyon is on XDA. It's 4.3 (which might make a difference), and pretty sure Liquid Smooth is 4.2 or sooner. I've been thru numerous roms, and with a few build.prop tweaks (I think they work, anyway) the rom is almost flawless. Some people seem to have better luck than others with different roms - for me nothing comes close to Tachyon.

Try it out and see it it runs better for you...If so, I just got the extended battery & case from Lazza(?) and I have 0 desire to upgrade right now. After 2+ years it's DEFINITELY past due for a new battery.

Ill take a look at it..the version of Liquid Im using is 4.3. I got an extended battery when I got the phone...but I hated how big it made and already big phone..so I never used it really.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8

Did this to get my S4. This was cheaper than switching to family share and got to keep unlimited. Its Win-Win!

TatDroid

Reaction score
I'll give you another option since you said you "don't use THAT much data". The "Max" plan. It replaces only the data portion of your plan (the other pieces should remain unchanged) and is $30 for 6GB of data. On most unlimited plans the data was $29.95, so the only thing that should change is that you go from unlimited to 6GB/month. The price should remain the same.

With the Max plan you go back on a 2 year contract, and can buy a subsidized phone - like the new HTC One for $199 (and did I see somewhere that the Moto X is 99 cents now?) . This is an unadvertised plan that is ONLY available to grandfathered unlimited customers. You have to ask for it by name.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score

The plan with 2gb of data is $75, not $60. $60 is 1gb. To my knowledge, a 'regular' employee is unable to use this "secret" $60 plan. And actually, the $60 option with 2gb doesn't even show up in my system.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score

Tachyon is a Neo ROM and for some reason he does something to his roms that doesn't agree with my phone....Ive always had issues with his roms....which is unfortunate because when they are working they're great. Basically after some time my phone will get sluggish and I will reboot into a freeze at the lock screen....once that happens I have no other recourse but the to a total wipe and reflash. Its totally random too....so I had to stop using him roms.

I'll give you another option since you said you "don't use THAT much data". The "Max" plan. It replaces only the data portion of your plan (the other pieces should remain unchanged) and is $30 for 6GB of data. On most unlimited plans the data was $29.95, so the only thing that should change is that you go from unlimited to 6GB/month. The price should remain the same.

With the Max plan you go back on a 2 year contract, and can buy a subsidized phone - like the new HTC One for $199 (and did I see somewhere that the Moto X is 99 cents now?) . This is an unadvertised plan that is ONLY available to grandfathered unlimited customers. You have to ask for it by name.

That could be an options I suppose, thats definitely one Ive never been offered.

The plan with 2gb of data is $75, not $60. $60 is 1gb. To my knowledge, a 'regular' employee is unable to use this "secret" $60 plan. And actually, the $60 option with 2gb doesn't even show up in my system.

I was offered that last week actually at the store..but as I said before 2 gigs isnt enough....

Apparently the stores can so some sort of payment plan...like the device replacement plan but its just for a new phone..not because you "broke" your old one. Its the device payment plan. I went to the store and it took a little asking but I finally got them to tell me about it, after she figured out I was on unlimited. I need to look into it more so I can see if there are any loopholes they can get me with but thats the way Im leaning. Id almost rather pay and extra 50 bucks a month and have basically a no contact phone afterwards then extend my contract.

TatDroid

Reaction score
That could be an options I suppose, thats definitely one Ive never been offered.
Yeah, you won't be "offered" the Max plan, you have to ask for it by name. (And keep in mind that this is NOT the Edge plan. Max is a traditional, 2year plan with subsidized phone).

It used to be that you had to call and talk to a phone rep because salespeople in Verizon stores either didn't know about it, or weren't authorized to offer it. But I've now seen people who say they were able to sign up for the Max plan in a corporate Verizon store (but never in a third party retailer).

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score

Yeah, you won't be "offered" the Max plan, you have to ask for it by name. (And keep in mind that this is NOT the Edge plan. Max is a traditional, 2year plan with subsidized phone).

It used to be that you had to call and talk to a phone rep because salespeople in Verizon stores either didn't know about it, or weren't authorized to offer it. But I've now seen people who say they were able to sign up for the Max plan in a corporate Verizon store (but never in a third party retailer).

I never go to third party retailers anyway..they all use pushy sales tatics. Its amazing the difference you see going into a corporate store vs an authorized retailer. Corporate they all have real phones and are nice answer question and will let you browse. authorized retailers there is someone on you as soon as you want though the door asking 20 questions.....what kind of phone do you have, whens your upgrade....you getting a phone today....and they all have dummy phones...avoid like the plague....