Want a new phone, don't want to lose old plan

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
What if I would purchase the phone on a monthly payment option then after I pay it completely off, switch the phones afterwards?
Think it'll work?
No, they put the kibosh on that loophole. :(

S5 tap'n

Not exactly. OP said "after I pay it completely off, switch the phones". Assuming he means after the 2 years to pay it off, in that example there is no restriction to placing that phone onto the Unlimited data plan. It's no different than buying it completely outright at retail. Only difference is it would have to be part of a new phone number activation and remain on the new phone number with its own new data plan for the entire contract length, whether 1 or 2 years, and would have to be free of all financial obligation before being moved to the Unlimited plan.

Now, there are (as shown in that link above), ways "around" this and if done carefully has yielded success however we are neither confirming or denying such existence nor are we in any way guaranteeing that it will work for you, even if it has worked for others in the past as reported by them. YRMV!! Proceed at your own risk.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes, I have unlimited data and messaging with 1400 minutes family share plan.

No it didn't change my plan or cause me to lose unlimited data. You're just "charging" the balance to your Verizon account.
This is the plan I have as well. Not going to jeopardize losing it for anything at this point.

OP
CSteffel21

CSteffel21

Reaction score
Not exactly. OP said "after I pay it completely off, switch the phones". Assuming he means after the 2 years to pay it off, in that example there is no restriction to placing that phone onto the Unlimited data plan. It's no different than buying it completely outright at retail. Only difference is it would have to be part of a new phone number activation and remain on the new phone number with its own new data plan for the entire contract length, whether 1 or 2 years, and would have to be free of all financial obligation before being moved to the Unlimited plan.

Now, there are (as shown in that link above), ways "around" this and if done carefully has yielded success however we are neither confirming or denying such existence nor are we in any way guaranteeing that it will work for you, even if it has worked for others in the past as reported by them. YRMV!! Proceed at your own risk.

best buy has the phone I want for 700 something lets say, if I pay the phone off with their 12 month financing or whatever it is called, I'll have it paid off within a few months.
Question 1: if I do this would I be able to switch it to my plan now while still making the monthly payments to best buy and keeping my unlimited data and messaging.
Question 2: if that doesn't work, could I pay the phone off still doing the monthly payment option that best buy has, and after paying it completely off, I'd be able to switch phones down the road.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
best buy has the phone I want for 700 something lets say, if I pay the phone off with their 12 month financing or whatever it is called, I'll have it paid off within a few months.
Question 1: if I do this would I be able to switch it to my plan now while still making the monthly payments to best buy and keeping my unlimited data and messaging.
Question 2: if that doesn't work, could I pay the phone off still doing the monthly payment option that best buy has, and after paying it completely off, I'd be able to switch phones down the road.

@CSteffel21 For option one, you may wish to read CAREFULLY and watch the video included in the link above. For option 2, as long as the phone is paid off, NOBODY can say you can't put it onto the Unlimited plan phone line. It's just a sim card swap. But here's the important part...the obligations for the PLAN for the new phone most likely must have been met as well, so if it's a 2 year contract you likely can't shut it down after one year and expect to take that phone and move it to the Unlimited phone line. It may very well trigger a pricing plan and once done, it's nearly impossible to impossible to reverse.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey

Don't know if this will help or not. I got this phone & my last phone from Motorola through a monthly payment plan activated on my unlimited data plan with Verizon. It was either a sim card activation or swap

Tapped from a Nexus 6

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
This is the plan I have as well. Not going to jeopardize losing it for anything at this point.
Same!

I've done this twice now. Charged the max to my Verizon account ($450.00) and paid the balance up front, over the next two months I paid an extra $225 to pay off the charged amount. I did not lose my family share plan with unlimited data nor do I know the extent of their repayment requirements since I knew it was gonna be paid off over the next two months.

OP
CSteffel21

CSteffel21

Reaction score
@CSteffel21 For option one, you may wish to read CAREFULLY and watch the video included in the link above. For option 2, as long as the phone is paid off, NOBODY can say you can't put it onto the Unlimited plan phone line. It's just a sim card swap. But here's the important part...the obligations for the PLAN for the new phone most likely must have been met as well, so if it's a 2 year contract you likely can't shut it down after one year and expect to take that phone and move it to the Unlimited phone line. It may very well trigger a pricing plan and once done, it's nearly impossible to impossible to reverse.

Well, I I was at best buy already and didn't wanna make a second trip back because it's a good drive there and back.

I spoke to the worker there and asked him such questions above, and he kept leaning me toward getting on the edge program, I showed him my data usage which is usually 15gb+ a month and he kept saying things about going on the edge and saving money, but in the end I wouldn't have.
but anyway, I am doing the 12 month financing program at best buy for my new galaxy s5. I had asked him since I own the phone now (yet still making payments monthly) I can switch phones now, he said correct. So I got home and switched them and currently do not see a raise in my Verizon bill and did not lose my unlimited data. Should I watch next month's usage and billing?