Want a new phone, don't want to lose old plan

CSteffel21

Reaction score
Currently on a iPhone 5s which I bought used a while back. Before that I was using my Galaxy s3.

I'd like to get a new phone without getting a new contract so I don't lose my unlimited data and messaging.
If I buy the Galaxy s5 from best buy on a monthly routine payment option, would I be able to put my SIM card now into that phone and activate that phone via verizon wireless?
Or is there any other way through verizon I could do this?
Thanks.

Edited: I looked on the forums and it all just confuses me. I've read multiple threads but I'm at a complete loss here.

My plan from like 2012 is
Month to month payments
Unlimited data and messages
Shared minutes.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
As far as I know, the only way to keep your current plan these days is to buy the phone outright (ie, not on a payment plan)

There have been many threads on this issue, as you've found out by looking around the forum, and there used to be other tricks/workarounds.

Unfortunately for folks like yourself, all of the workarounds that people have had with success have pretty much been done away with. Someone else may have some better news for you. I haven't followed this issue real closely, but most of what I've seen lately is that the ways that used to work to keep unlimited data are gone now.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Jonny is right. If you intend in keeping unlimited, your only opt-in would be to purchase the phone at full retail. That's what I did with our two S5s in order to keep our unlimited.
Good luck!

S5 tap'n

OP
CSteffel21

CSteffel21

Reaction score
As far as I know, the only way to keep your current plan these days is to buy the phone outright (ie, not on a payment plan)

There have been many threads on this issue, as you've found out by looking around the forum, and there used to be other tricks/workarounds.

Unfortunately for folks like yourself, all of the workarounds that people have had with success have pretty much been done away with. Someone else may have some better news for you. I haven't followed this issue real closely, but most of what I've seen lately is that the ways that used to work to keep unlimited data are gone now.

What if I would purchase the phone on a monthly payment option then after I pay it completely off, switch the phones afterwards?
Think it'll work?

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I recently purchased 2 Note 4s out right via Verizon at separate times. Charged $450.00 to my account and paid the balance.

Now I don't know what their terms for repayment are, I just paid it off over the next two months.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I dropped my unlimited data to get on the Edge payment plan for the Note 4. My home Internet gets about double the speed I get on LTE & there was no price difference between the unlimited & 2GB plans. 2GB was the most mobile data I used anyway & now they doubled me to 4 for the same price.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

OP
CSteffel21

CSteffel21

Reaction score
I'm not trying to get rid of unlimited, I'd like to be able to tether wifi and i go through data like crazy.

I recently purchased 2 Note 4s out right via Verizon at separate times. Charged $450.00 to my account and paid the balance.

Now I don't know what their terms for repayment are, I just paid it off over the next two months.

Did you have unlimted data and messaging? If so, did you happen to lose it?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Glad it worked out for you. I know it doesn't always add up to be a good deal for everyone and I'd never PUSH it on someone, but it made sense for me as well. Enjoy the new phone!

OP
CSteffel21

CSteffel21

Reaction score
http://slickdeals.net/f/6964624-upgrade-and-keep-your-unlimited-data-with-verizon?v=1

Follow that and you can keep your unlimited data. I did this 3 months ago and it worked flawlessly.
Link does not load.

Remember guys, I'm the original poster. Sounds like you guys thought the dude three above me is. Lol

I'm not giving up my unlimited data and messaging anytime soon. Tethering wifi is going to wrack up a lot of data in a month and I want to be sure I will not go over it.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I'm not trying to get rid of unlimited, I'd like to be able to tether wifi and i go through data like crazy.

Did you have unlimted data and messaging? If so, did you happen to lose it?
Yes, I have unlimited data and messaging with 1400 minutes family share plan.

No it didn't change my plan or cause me to lose unlimited data. You're just "charging" the balance to your Verizon account.