I got a droid 2 for a droid 1 warranty replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonstar

Reaction score
my touch screen was going out and causing my phone to act possessed. Just got my replacement D1 not a D2 :( Funny thing is I can't even activate the refurbished D1---the touch screen isn't working correctly! Ha! Good thing there is a VZ store near work.

okmista

Reaction score
UPDATE: My D2 was supposed to come today, when I opened it up, I got another D1. I was LIVID and called them up. VZW's explanation: Because the D2 Refurb unit had no battery door/cover, they sent yet another D1. After holding for 10 minutes, the representative said that they would send me a refurb D2 but there was no battery door so I'd have to go out there and buy one myself or call Motorola. I gave him crap for another 10 minutes and he said he'd refund me up to $14.99 for the battery door so they are sending me a refurb D2.

This is an endless battle.

* Spend (wasted) another 20-30 minutes of my time talking to them (again).

Detonation

Reaction score
UPDATE: My D2 was supposed to come today, when I opened it up, I got another D1. I was LIVID and called them up. VZW's explanation: Because the D2 Refurb unit had no battery door/cover, they sent yet another D1. After holding for 10 minutes, the representative said that they would send me a refurb D2 but there was no battery door so I'd have to go out there and buy one myself or call Motorola. I gave him crap for another 10 minutes and he said he'd refund me up to $14.99 for the battery door so they are sending me a refurb D2.

This is an endless battle.

* Spend (wasted) another 20-30 minutes of my time talking to them (again).

Doesn't the D1 battery door fit the D2, its just a different color?

Anyways it really just sounds like luck of the draw. I got a refurb Incredible as a replacement and they included a brand new battery and door, which came in retail packaging with the $39.99 and $14.99 stickers still on them haha. Only complaint was that the Incredible came first and the battery and door didn't come until the day after :biggrin:

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
D1 and D2 battery and door are interchangeable.

Folks have also posted that the D2 extended battery and extended battery door also work on the D1 just fine.

cparknson

Reaction score
I too just got a brand spanking new D2 for my old D1. I actually got super lucky. When I got my original D1 back in December, ordered from Verizon's website, there was a lot of trouble getting the phone activated. About 2 hours on the phone with verizon tech and in the process he was suppose to remove the insurance off of my old phone and put it on the new droid 1. Well, somehow in the process it never got switched. So since then I'd been paying the premium for insurance on my old phone which my daughter just uses to text her friends here from the house and it didn't need to be insured.
Last Sunday I fell off the boat into KY lake accidentally and when I called to file my insurance claim found out about the mistake and it being on the wrong phone. They actually went ahead and realized their mistake after looking at the usage on the insured phone, which was practically none, and realized I wouldn't have insured a phone that didn't leave the house and wasn't used and they honored the insurance claim for it. I was shocked cause I thought I would be screwed for not catching it on the wrong phone myself on the bill, but I never really look at it as long as the amount due sounds right and it always has.

It took a full week to get it all processed and them to review everything but when I called to check on it Monday the guy told me they were honoring my insurance and would be sending me a brand new Droid 2 with the battery, charger, and the whole nine yards. I payed a few bucks more and had it overnighted to be sure they didn't get some more D1's in before it shipped out. Tuesday evening I had a brand new D2 at the house and so far love it. By the way, mine was sent from TX also.

I've had some times over the years that I've been mad as hell at verizon but I'm glad they stepped up to the plate on this one and took care of me. Thanks VZ.

okmista

Reaction score
UPDATE: I FINALLY got me a D2.

I didn't know but yes, the D1 battery door fits D2 so I don't know why vzw misled me into thinking that I "NEEDED" the battery door (this was the reason they used to send me a D1 in the last convo). The color is different but that's about it. I expect to get a new door from Motorola, anyway.

D2 works like a charm, I haven't had many problems yet (I've had maybe 1 force close so far)...I access all the songs and ringtones from the SD card, so I guess the problem was with the D1.

NOTE: This case is different from getting D2 via Insurance. I didn't have insurance and I got the replacement via 1 year warranty that comes with the original D1.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I'm surprised they sent you a refurbished D2.

Congratulations! I know you are going to enjoy it!

okmista

Reaction score

I agree! I never thought I'd see the day after having 7 D1s. I'm really happy with it. I can access all the songs on my SD card and no freezing and such. The only gripe about it is that with D2 comes whole slew of new applications that run in the background that you cannot force close with the Advanced Task Killer, they simply don't work. So I have all these misc programs running in the background, hence, the battery life isn't as good as it was on D1 but what can you do.

Other than those people who were lucky enough to have received D2s due to the fact they ran out of D1, I wonder if some people really got a "new" one when they complained like myself. Never thought it would happen, I was this close to going over to AT&T and their iPhone.

MrKleen

Reaction score

I agree! I never thought I'd see the day after having 7 D1s. I'm really happy with it. I can access all the songs on my SD card and no freezing and such. The only gripe about it is that with D2 comes whole slew of new applications that run in the background that you cannot force close with the Advanced Task Killer, they simply don't work. So I have all these misc programs running in the background, hence, the battery life isn't as good as it was on D1 but what can you do.

Other than those people who were lucky enough to have received D2s due to the fact they ran out of D1, I wonder if some people really got a "new" one when they complained like myself. Never thought it would happen, I was this close to going over to AT&T and their iPhone.

Yes... I got a brand new in box D2. That's why I was surprised you got a refurb. I think after they started giving out D2's everyone started calling in for one so they put an end to it. But I think you will love your replacement!

okmista

Reaction score

Yes... I got a brand new in box D2. That's why I was surprised you got a refurb. I think after they started giving out D2's everyone started calling in for one so they put an end to it. But I think you will love your replacement!

How many D1s did you have prior to getting the D2? Was it just luck of the draw? or did you have insurance? or did they run out at the warehouse? I never called them and demanded D2s because everyone was getting it. I just wanted a working phone and the last 3 I received, upon activation it was crashing, so I knew it wasn't any "app" i was downloading like they had suggested. Anyway, I'm glad mine works (even though from time to time the connection isn't that great and my wifi isn't work too well occasionally). If my wifi keeps acting up, I will bother them again (I get 90 days of warranty with this phone, I think).

MrKleen

Reaction score

How many D1s did you have prior to getting the D2? Was it just luck of the draw? or did you have insurance? or did they run out at the warehouse? I never called them and demanded D2s because everyone was getting it. I just wanted a working phone and the last 3 I received, upon activation it was crashing, so I knew it wasn't any "app" i was downloading like they had suggested. Anyway, I'm glad mine works (even though from time to time the connection isn't that great and my wifi isn't work too well occasionally). If my wifi keeps acting up, I will bother them again (I get 90 days of warranty with this phone, I think).

I was going on my 4th replacement. The reason I ended up with a D2 went like this.

I called to get a replacement and customer service was trying to upgrade me into an X on another line with a special that was ending that day. I couldn't decide so before he transferred me to tech support I asked him to call me back later.

Later when he called me back I had decided not to do it and then he asked me if tech support was replacing my phone with a 1 or a 2. I asked what he meant and he explained some were getting 2's due to shortages. After hanging up I thought about it and felt I should be one of them! I called back and explained this to a very nice supervisor who agreed. She told me that if I received a 1 as my replacement she personally would take care of it. I did receive a D1, so she sent me out a D2!

okmista

Reaction score

I was going on my 4th replacement. The reason I ended up with a D2 went like this.

I called to get a replacement and customer service was trying to upgrade me into an X on another line with a special that was ending that day. I couldn't decide so before he transferred me to tech support I asked him to call me back later.

Later when he called me back I had decided not to do it and then he asked me if tech support was replacing my phone with a 1 or a 2. I asked what he meant and he explained some were getting 2's due to shortages. After hanging up I thought about it and felt I should be one of them! I called back and explained this to a very nice supervisor who agreed. She told me that if I received a 1 as my replacement she personally would take care of it. I did receive a D1, so she sent me out a D2!

I am so jealous that you didn't have to experience any of the $hit i had to go through...I spoke to so many people and spent so much time talking to them, I was about to lose my mind! They never gave me any choice in the matter, in the middle, they offered me the "upgrade" to a different model for $169. I felt like that was another insult in itself...that I would have to pay that after all this time and effort of dealing with crap D1s. After awhile, each time I called, I would speak to 2 different people (1st - customer svc then 2nd - tech support) who always repeated "I am sorry that you had to go through that" and ask me boneheaded questions at this point - like did I do a hard reset. Hello?! Doesn't the records indicate how many times I've done a hard reset? And that each time I do it, I have to re hookup my stuff? It was so annoying. Then in the middle, I got this guy who was so calm through listening to my complaints that it annoyed me. He, too, did nothing but send me a garbage-y D1. Then 2nd to the last support person I spoke with put me on hold for like 20 minutes only to offer me a D1 again so I was livid. Anyway, even though I tried to push for a new D2, I was thankful to get a refurb D2 as it is working much better than my D1. I'm glad you didn't have to go through what I went through, trust me, my friends are like "what is wrong with your phone?" for the last month or so. I was so stressed out having to call vzw so often, just the thought of calling them made me all angry. The worst part is that their stores are useless, when I went to b*tch them out, they had nothing in stock to offer me and told me to go home and call their 1-800 number that now, I know by heart.

MrKleen

Reaction score
okmista, Man that really does stink, it sounds like you had a real nightmare. Anyway, the good news is that you are now on a D2 and I'm sure you've already seen how much better it is! Yes there is Blur and some bloat, but that is something you can fix or adjust if you want to!

Now that your nightmare is in the past, enjoy that new D2 of yours!

okmista

Reaction score
MrKleen - yes! It did stink for a long time (aggravated for about a month) but I am glad and happy it's all over with.

Question - did you happen to find a way to kill all the background apps (social media and other apps)? I tried to uninstall but since it's native Motorola programs, I couldn't. Also, what did you mean by fix the Blur?

Thanks!

MrKleen

Reaction score
MrKleen - yes! It did stink for a long time (aggravated for about a month) but I am glad and happy it's all over with.

Question - did you happen to find a way to kill all the background apps (social media and other apps)? I tried to uninstall but since it's native Motorola programs, I couldn't. Also, what did you mean by fix the Blur?

Thanks!

The only way to do this is to root and flash custom roms or themes. It is not difficult but it depends on your comfort level in doing such things. There is a great deal of info on this on this forum and if you would like any help just drop me a note.

Status
Not open for further replies.