Got a Droid 2 and thinking Droid 1 is better

xmguy

Reaction score
Got a Droid 2 and thinking Droid 1 is better. need help deciding

I've wondered of the members here. Who got the Droid 2 and HAD the Droid 1 and thought the 1 was better and why?

I've personally noticed the design of the 2 seems to be cheaper than that of the 1.

The 2's screen's whites seems more yellow than pure white on the 1. Same for the flash. The flash looks like a yellow tint where the Droid 1 is almost pure white. Is this all software related or a bad FRU. I'm just trying to decide if I should keep the Droid 2 or just keep the Droid 1?

wmnomore

Reaction score
I've grown to love the D2. The biggest thing for me is the feel in your hand. The D2 is much more rounded and smooth. That was really bothering me with the D1.

If you like to hack your phone, the D1 is far superior. More roms and themes, can change the kernel, less problems booting into recovery, and less bootloops.

As far as the screen difference? I don't notice a change.
The flash does seem a little yellow. Doesn't bother me either.

To tell you the truth, I am not keeping this phone for much longer. There are many devices coming out soon and i will upgrade. I have never been a fan of the keyboard and general feel of the phone. If you need a hard keyboard, then stick with this or get the Merge. (Merge looks like it will be a better phone-IMO)
good luck

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I've grown to love the D2. The biggest thing for me is the feel in your hand. The D2 is much more rounded and smooth. That was really bothering me with the D1.

If you like to hack your phone, the D1 is far superior. More roms and themes, can change the kernel, less problems booting into recovery, and less bootloops.

As far as the screen difference? I don't notice a change.
The flash does seem a little yellow. Doesn't bother me either.

To tell you the truth, I am not keeping this phone for much longer. There are many devices coming out soon and i will upgrade. I have never been a fan of the keyboard and general feel of the phone. If you need a hard keyboard, then stick with this or get the Merge. (Merge looks like it will be a better phone-IMO)
good luck

Although I do have a custom ROM on my Droid 1 now. It's overclocked only to the ROM specs of 800Mhz. Other than that and root That's all I do. So I guess the Droid 2 will work. Just those darn FRU issues with them.

Arcadian

Reaction score
Yes I do miss my d1 but the more I use the d2 the more I like it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

geta2j

Reaction score
I had a droid 1 and lived it. When the droid r2d2 came out I ordered one. I like the droid 2 much better than the d1. The keyboard is better but that is academic because the d2 came with swype pre-installed and I have grown to love swype! The operation serbs to be smoother, and faster. But I will always love the d1 because it was my first ever smart phone.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

MrKleen

Reaction score
Other than the rom situation I much prefer my D2 over my previous D1.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
D2 is better then the D1. Even stock vs. rooted D1 I liked it better. Now that we can root the D2 and get rid of bloatware and over clock it's even better.

Reaction score
I had a droid 1 and lived it. When the droid r2d2 came out I ordered one. I like the droid 2 much better than the d1. The keyboard is better but that is academic because the d2 came with swype pre-installed and I have grown to love swype! The operation serbs to be smoother, and faster. But I will always love the d1 because it was my first ever smart phone.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

I had a BB Storm before I got the droid 1, so I can say that the Droid was my very first smart phone as well. :)

Azurikai

Reaction score
the only thing i miss is the large amount of custom rom's you could put on the D1, but its nice to see that we have SOME people working on the D2.

metroplex

Reaction score
I used a co-worker's D1 briefly and thought my D2 was overall slightly better. Although I think I paid too much for my D2: $90 w/ 2-year contract. I see that it is now $0.01 w/ 2-year contract. The Verizon Store still wants $300 w/ 2-year contract, F the store.

Neupy

Reaction score
What annoys the hell out of me about the D2 and X is why did they change the damn buttons around? Everytime I help my friends do something with theirs Im constantly hitting menu instead of back...it drives me CRAZY...

Crf450r420

Reaction score
I'm not sure. I'll just list the pros and cons.

I like the rounded body for comfort, internal memory (I completely love this), processor speed of rooted D1, I like the hotspot (until I found the charge), panoramic picture is improved and works great, Youtube videos never played on my D1, came with Swype, but Slide-it is better anyways,

I don't like, the keyboard change (alt only on left, alt lock gets hit on almost every A), but it feels better and being centered is nice after getting use to it.

I don't like that every time I back out of a contact the list goes back to the top (makes me want to throw the phone sometimes).

I can't stand Verizon's crap, VZ navigator? why? Backup Assistant has caused me a bunch of work and tons of grief (don't use it). Now it will take a whole lot more work to get rid of it.

My Blue-tooth headset is a nightmare to hook up on many days and on top of that some days it just keeps dropping off too (makes me want to crush the phone up in early morning) . The voice dial with blue-tooth takes up to 2 min, literally and more aggravation (refer to above Backup Assistant line).

I can't find a zoom on the camera and seems to take longer to change settings around.

So, I still slightly like it over the D1 when I don't want to make little parts out of it, but that is only for now. I might find more things to hate or maybe an update will come to fix the really annoying things (Please).

Taegost

Reaction score
I like the D2 a lot better then my D1. I miss the custom ROMs, but I can still do what I want with it.
The bluetooth voice-dialing drives me nuts, I didn't think they could make it any worse then they did with FroYo, but they certainly managed to.
Overall, the speed and fluidity of the OS on the D2 is much better, I love having the extra RAM and more ROM for apps and data, I was constantly hitting caps on both with my D1, which is why I upgraded.
I don't care for Blur either, or that silly social networking thing they put in it, I prefer the old D1 way... But that's a small inconvenience for me, I just use Facebook anyhoo.